Comfortable seats that fit?

ecohen2

True Classic
Does anyone have a recommendation on a comfortable replacement seat that is a direct fit for our sliders?

Thanks,
Ed

Does anyone have a recommendation on a comfortable replacement seat that is a direct fit for our sliders?

Thanks,
Ed
The original seats in my 84 were comfortable enough but the leather was cracking bad and I wanted to sit a bit lower so I gutted the seats and with 4 inch foam and upholstery fabric
did the seats.
The back of the seat is stamped metal on a tubed frame.
I cut the flat sections out to shave some weight.
The final effect is more of a bucket and to me comfortable.
it has been a few years so can't remember exactly but do know I shaved a good 6 pounds per seat.

Ed, since your seats look just fine, you need to be specific about what you don't like about the stock X seats.

Actually the drivers seat foam is so broken down that even a little guy like me bottoms out... I was thinking something that had better side bolster support and less foam, but functional... You are right about the appearance, so my other option is to just have them re-stuffed...

Ed

I bought 2 pieces of stiff foam on internet for the seat. Use the thickness of the seat in the middle. The second piece is for the side support which can be glued to the bottom piece. Dismantle the original seat and use the old foam to draw the outline for the seat. Use a scharp long knife and start cutting until you have a new seat. The modern foams are very good. I am very pleased with the result.

You can borrow my Sparco Sprint seat to try. It has thin padding, fairly comfortable for what it is (fixed back track seat), fits and I think the stock rails fit on. Of course you will have a sad time getting into it and a pathetic time getting out as it has race seat type bolsters. Great for track days, terrible for street use. But hey, it meets your criterion!

The original seats in my 84 were comfortable enough but the leather was cracking bad and I wanted to sit a bit lower so I gutted the seats and with 4 inch foam and upholstery fabric
did the seats.
The back of the seat is stamped metal on a tubed frame.
I cut the flat sections out to shave some weight.
The final effect is more of a bucket and to me comfortable.
it has been a few years so can't remember exactly but do know I shaved a good 6 pounds per seat.
I have wondered something along these lines. Also one could do a quick welded on wing to create some hip and side support. With the original cover available a good upholsterer should be able to make the slight size modifications to make our OEM seats into bucket style seats yet keeping the OEM look.

not a direct fit. Honda CRX seats. But suprisingly enough they give more room behind the steering wheel. Very comfortable.
6A5FFB66-B54C-4A94-8B30-8D1BE41DFD02.jpeg

You can borrow my Sparco Sprint seat to try. It has thin padding, fairly comfortable for what it is (fixed back track seat), fits and I think the stock rails fit on. Of course you will have a sad time getting into it and a pathetic time getting out as it has race seat type bolsters. Great for track days, terrible for street use. But hey, it meets your criterion!

Actually I wouldn't mind looking at the underside to see if they are using the stock sliders... I actually have a second set, which would make swapping seats easy if I get a second set...

Ed

I find the Miata seats less comfortable than my X’s seats. The bottom cushion feels similar on both it is the back that makes me uncomfortable in our ‘92 Miata.

I like the idea of rebuilding the base cushion, foam is quite cheap and there are places in most cities where you can buy it, particularly if there is some furniture manufacturing in the area.

I will be installing these with the interior update. Not sure if they are more comfortable but they lateral supportive and give me way more room. I may try to make adapter that will fit into the OEM rail but use the low profile sliders that came with the seats. If anybody is interested in perfect set of OEMs let me know.
vintage seats.jpg

Yeah! Those are close to what I am thinking about... Do you have a link to the manufactures spec on the seats? It should be easy to look at the placement and measurements to determine if the stock rails will work...

As another option, you can get extremely affordable generic aftermarket sport seats in a ton of choices. Reclining back, different size/shape side bolsters, various designs of back rests, all sorts of materials, etc. I've seen them online for about $200 a pair shipped. Like most replacements you will need to make some sort of adaptor to fit the stock mounts. Here is just a couple examples of the countless styles available:
71Y+NES+VWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
cerullo+sport+seat.jpg

But if you want something that looks fairly stockish and a easy direct fit without any mods, then I'd follow the earlier suggestions for having your existing seats recushioned. The pads can be reshaped to your liking in the process. Either do it yourself or have a local shop do it for you.

As another option, you can get extremely affordable generic aftermarket sport seats in a ton of choices. Reclining back, different size/shape side bolsters, various designs of back rests, all sorts of materials, etc. I've seen them online for about $200 a pair shipped. Like most replacements you will need to make some sort of adaptor to fit the stock mounts. Here is just a couple examples of the countless styles available:

For Shiggles I test fit a set of Braums in the X . They are great seats but way to big for the car.The headrests touch the roof, backs are too thick, sides are too bolstered and leg room was cut down. That is y I will be using the Vintage 911 seats. They are way smaller and I figure I will have and extra 4 inches of adjustment. The OEMs I have as far back as possible and raised the steering column and installed an aftermarket wheel.

IMG_3835 2.jpg

Finding CRX seats would be very difficult at this point. The cars rusted away and the seats went with them.

Back