Concerned about this correlation...

MarkF

Administrator
Staff member
Last week I received news of a friend who played a very significant role in me being involved with Fiats. This is long before the days of this forum, so with a couple exceptions, I doubt anyone else here would have encountered him.

I connected with Dave when I went into an auto parts store one day looking for X1/9 parts, and discovered we shared that obsession. We ended up tackling seemingly insurmountable car projects, autocrossing several Xs around western Washington, bench racing, "spirited drives" around Whatcom county, drinking cheap beer at the workshop, occasionally even working on customer cars. I bought an X from him and later sold it back again. It's amazing I managed to finish college!

The photo below is from the grid the day of the first Bellingham Grand Prix street race in 1988. We had completed the race engine on that car well after midnight and spent the early hours of morning breaking it in with only minimal lights and muffler on the car... I'm the one in the ill-fitting hat, he's in the red jacket.

We mostly lost touch after I left the area in search of a career work, although I did purchase a pickup full of tools from him some years later when he got out of cars altogether. He also attended my wedding. Dave had a drive to achieve things that kept me motivated at the time. He always was an intense person, and we both tended towards strong tempers on occasion. Despite the conflict and drama, we usually managed to work things out.

Dave took his own life a couple weeks ago. I hope he finds peace.

376131_2753944686311_1188508047_3039531_1969081667_n.jpg

Not good news

Something about the Holidays that brings this out in folks.
I'm sorry to hear this Mark. Very sad news.
I hope his family can find some peace with all of this.

These cars frustrate me sometimes but not to that end... When people leave like that it just makes me want to go out and live more....:drink:

Is that Dave White?

Always sad to hear of folks suffering such dispair.
More sad when you know them.
Only met Dave once, at Boeing-Kent autocross.
Had some radical ideas, but was real interesting
and full of positive energy.

I'm sorry for your loss as well...

A year ago I was "speechless"... but this time I have lots to say after giving soooo very much thought to Mac taking his own life as well.

Out of respect for all I will just keep it to myself though... and will offer it up to anyone that really asks... but I must say one thing. If there is anyone out there NOW that is feeling this much despair... please seek out help on this forum or elsewhere... Everyone has VALUE, there is HELP available and those willing to share...

May God grant peace to all that knew him...

Back