Cone shaped copper washers for brake line connections

carl

True Classic
About a year or so ago someone here mentioned using these little cone shaped copper washers in the threaded brake line (and clutch line) joints if they keep leaking after being tightened up. I got some for a leaking connection up a the brake master and they worked perfectly. Now I need one for my spider brakes (the union get wet but never drips) and I thought I had some leftovers but can't find them. Anyway, does anyone remember where to get them?

Aka, copper flare gaskets. They come in a variety of sizes for various flare types (45 degrees or 37 degrees) and tube sizes.. like this one for bubble flares or 45 degree SAE flares. Get a kit if possible. Handy item to have around, disaster saver when really needed.

Alternative is to cut off the damaged flare then re-flare the tube end. Know bubble flares and SAE double flares are not designed to be re-sealed-serviced more than a few cycles due to material fatigue and deformity from being smooshed into their seating position.

This is not true for the 37 degree single flare (both AN and JIC) which are designed to be serviced and re-seal within limits.

Bernice

My hose guy calls them "Borsheim seals". In a older thread it was suggested they are commonly found at HVAC supply houses. I believe those would be 45 degree. Many members said they have used them successfully on the X's bubble flares.

Thanks folks. Jeff, do you by any chance have a link to that older thread?
Carl, I have a bunch of brake related links saved. I just looked through the list and unfortunately did not recognize any that it might have been, sorry. Quite possibility discussion of these seals was buried in a thread with a title that doesn't reflect them, so I overlooked it. However I did find a link to one web site that was referenced in that thread, with a company that sells those seals:

"Copper flare washers" gets you 13 listings on eBay, and some listings for the nylon version as well, although I would not want to "see" if nylon and brake fluid are compatible :)

Surprisingly, nothing good came up under copper flare washers or gaskets on McMaster-Carr. Grainger has two results on copper flare gaskets.

Saw a guy on YouTube use a typical flare tool to turn a typical copper crush washer into a copper flare washer.

The Borsheim seals (copper flare washers) I have are incredibly thin. Actually very delicate to touch. Not something you could make from a piece of copper pipe.

Getting ready to order these since I replaced the MC on my 81 spider and all three fittings are oozing! I had good luck with these on the clutch line of my previous X so hopefully they will work.

Is the 3/16, 45 degree washer the correct size for our brake lines?

Follow up on this. I ordered some

IMG_2335.jpg

They worked perfectly and the three lines into the spider MC no longer leak and that's without even having to crank down hard on the line nuts.
IMG_2334.jpg

I found my old order for them when I did this to my X. You can get them from Grainger.

IMG_2336.jpg

Back