Confusion confusion

I have all three, the X is the best looking and suprisingly small next to the MR2 and TR8. All three need paint and restoration, but the TR8 will be the first to get painted followed by the X1/9 and MR2
View attachment 49842
Love that TR8! Would really like to hot-rod one. Seems like a reasonable project seeing as it came with a V8. Been threatening to do one for years.

If you want attention try driving a Scorpion.
I often get asked "What kind of car is that?" - "It's a Lancia." - "Oh, who makes it?" - "Lancia." - "You mean Fiat?" - "No, it's related, but it's a Lancia." - "Oh, Italian?" - "Yes" - "Cool car." - "Thanks."

You are the king of wedgies. :D Maybe add a first generation RX7 to further complete the collection. :)

I have two:

0531161724.jpg

And there is a reason why 1st Generation RX-7s are suspiciously missing from the ranks of '80s enthusiast cars. There is little desirable about the car. I am no fan of the Rotary engine and the chassis is terrible.

Back in the early 80's when I was driving my black 76 X I had two different people ask me how much I'd paid for my Ferrari.
The other day I was fueling up my silver 78 X and a young kid walked up and said "Nice car sir, what kind of car is that?"
I told him it was a Fiat and he turned to the girl with him and said "Yeah, I used to have one".

If you want attention try driving a Scorpion.
I often get asked "What kind of car is that?" - "It's a Lancia." - "Oh, who makes it?" - "Lancia." - "You mean Fiat?" - "No, it's related, but it's a Lancia." - "Oh, Italian?" - "Yes" - "Cool car." - "Thanks."
Gonna be a "one-up" DB here, Mike...
Want attention? Drive a Delorean ANYWHERE. I never, ever put gas in her without being approached. Guys my age loved it and it was a 40-something ass-magnet. For some reason all foreigners within sight range wanted to take their pic with it, and children had some freakish need to put flat palms all over it. The only good part about the ladder was the fact they stood a 50/50 chance of burning their grubby little mitts if it were a hot, sunny day.

And BTW, Seeing F9 was the dumbest thing I have ever done with $8. Made Sharknato II look like a serious PBS documentary.

People who see my 86 either have a story about an X1/9, or ask "what is that?"
I had the X in the driveway tonight & 2 people in 20 minutes asked if it was a TR7..... Never really happened before I posted this, LOL

My favorite instance of this was driving through a lower-SES neighborhood, two guys pulled up next to me at a stoplight in a mid-80s four-door Cutlass, painted purple, riding on 20+" wheels, tinted windows, music bumping. One of them was hanging out his window staring at me. I thought I might be in some kind of trouble until he asked, verbatim and with a big smile, "What that is, a FERRARI?"

Gonna be a "one-up" DB here, Mike...
Want attention? Drive a Delorean ANYWHERE. I never, ever put gas in her without being approached. Guys my age loved it and it was a 40-something ass-magnet. For some reason all foreigners within sight range wanted to take their pic with it, and children had some freakish need to put flat palms all over it. The only good part about the ladder was the fact they stood a 50/50 chance of burning their grubby little mitts if it were a hot, sunny day.

And BTW, Seeing F9 was the dumbest thing I have ever done with $8. Made Sharknato II look like a serious PBS documentary.
Have you EVER heard anyone talk about a DeLorean from a sports car perspective---handling, power, ride, braking, transition, high speed feel, low speed feel, etc etc?

Me-nope. They just talk about the movies.

Why, when they see an X1/9, do so many Americans (in my experience anyway) confuse it with the Triumph TR7? I can barely recall seeing any TR7s when they were new. Wikipedia says more Fiats were built than the Triumph. I can understand our cars being mistaken for MR-2s or Fieros or Porsche 914s, but why the TR7? This is a very important question, the future of civilization depends on the answer.
My favorite TR-7 commercial:

The TR7 from WD was never sold to my knowledge. Price started at $8k I think on Craigslist. Last I looked it was $2500 maybe? $1500 would have taken it, no sweat (maybe less), and that was with an entirely replaced wiring harness….

What were some other "wedge" cars in the 70's-80's era? We've touched on the X, the TR7, the RX7, the MR2, the DeLorean (although I'm not completely convinced that is really a wedge design), and maybe others that I'm forgetting? I'm sure there were more...what were they?

Have you EVER heard anyone talk about a DeLorean from a sports car perspective---handling, power, ride, braking, transition, high speed feel, low speed feel, etc etc?

Me-nope. They just talk about the movies.
So true Dan. DeLorean, NOT a sports car. But not really marketed as one. John DeLorean admitted targeting Corvette buyers. GT? Maybe. Tons of stuff to improve right off the showroom floor, (build quality a joke) but also like an X, it had character to spare. That's what these cars are about.

And yup, I have been asked what model Ferrari my red '86 X was, five minutes after telling my son, "Sometime on this trip across country, some dork will probably ask us if that is a Ferrari on the trailer..." We had not made it out of our HOA when said dork asked at the mail boxes.

of what I remember : two guys 20-30y old thought it is Lancia, best one was when a kid was asking his father what is that car - "it's self made" :D

If You can't decide which car looks better - just ask small kids under 10, they know best.

What were some other "wedge" cars in the 70's-80's era? We've touched on the X, the TR7, the RX7, the MR2, the DeLorean (although I'm not completely convinced that is really a wedge design), and maybe others that I'm forgetting? I'm sure there were more...what were they?

Nearly every Bertone designed mid-engined car is a wedge.

Back