Conversion to EFI

I have no clue if it will stand the heat, you won't know unless you try. If you align the sniper with the original carb bores, you still have to make an adapter and you will have clearance issues with the TPS and IAC. This is the material I used https://static1.sw-cdn.net/files/cms/materials/data-sheets/HP Data sheet.pdf

It should be able to do the job with that melting point. Good choice.

It might be a good idea to keep the carb cooling fan to run some air over it at idle and post shutdown.

View attachment 23616 Currently in the process of converting my ‘79 to Tbi using two barrel Holley Sniper. Pulled out the 100lb injectors and installed 45lb injectors from a Harley. Had to design and 3D print a manifold adapter out of high temp nylon as the orientation of the throttle shaft is 90 degrees to the stock carb.

Nice that the injectors are serviceable, it wasn’t clear from the documentation I was perusing.

2 45lb injectors may be a bit shy of the overall need at WOT but larger may be harder to get down to the reduced duty cycle you need.

This will be a nice project to watch, do please keep us in the loop.

Wasn't Carl also asking about this type of EFI conversion recently? o_O

I can’t imagine him wanting such a thing. If it requires stringing electrons together to deliver fuel, it is not for him. He is a close friend of Bernoulli.

Someone recently suggested such a conversion but did not specify the Holley system, just proposed the concept. But I don't recall who it was. I thought we'd forward this to that person for their interest.

Someone recently suggested such a conversion but did not specify the Holley system, just proposed the concept. But I don't recall who it was. I thought we'd forward this to that person for their interest.

We had a discussion about something similar in your? Megasquirt thread but I don't know if that is what you are thinking about.
The Ecotec in our 600 uses GM parts run by Megasquirt, we stripped all of the original ECU and components and replaced them with others that better suited our needs.
If we did another Ecotec we would consider the Holley system but it would be on a 2.4 or slightly larger engine. Hopefully Holley will see a need here. Still, adapting it to an X engine is worth a try.

I can’t imagine him wanting such a thing. If it requires stringing electrons together to deliver fuel, it is not for him. He is a close friend of Bernoulli.

It's nice to know some folks have me figured out. Bernoulli is a third cousin on my mother's side and we invited him to the last family get together at Nags Head by he declined due to "prior commitments".

Just for discussion purposes, I presume a two barrel throttle body with integral injector(s) would perform the same and probably better than a two barrel carb.

I presume a two barrel throttle body with integral injector(s) would perform the same and probably better than a two barrel carb.
I would say yes, provided the EFI was properly set up. And by that I mean it has the correct size injectors, proper programming, sensors that correspond to the application, etc.. I guess the analogy might be the same as selecting the right size/type of Weber carb, installing the right size of venturis in it, and getting the jetting sorted.

Technology wise there are several advantages to FI over a carb. But like carbs - and everything else - it must be working correctly.

Well, carbs may be old tech and jetting can be a compromise but at least I don't need a battery of sensors all over the motor to tell it what to do. And I have never had a drivability compromise for any of the many 128s, Xs and 124s that I have put dual Webers on …..if, and that's a big if, the carbs are set up correctly. A single two barrel is pretty much set and forget.

Well, carbs may be old tech and jetting can be a compromise but at least I don't need a battery of sensors all over the motor to tell it what to do. And I have never had a drivability compromise for any of the many 128s, Xs and 124s that I have put dual Webers on …..if, and that's a big if, the carbs are set up correctly. A single two barrel is pretty much set and forget.

Carl, The Holley is very interesting to me, 4 wires to hook up, the only sensor is the O2 one in the exhaust. The units are now all self learning. I watched a YouTube video on one being installed on a Mopar 440, it ran for about 10-15 minutes all on its own, making adjustments constantly (the idle kept moving all over the place). When it was done, it was done. Of course, the Holley allows you to hook up to a laptop and tune yourself if you like, but not needed. It looks like quite a fascinating setup. Designed for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder cars. It comes with a screen where you setup the basics and then let it take care of everything else.

Another success story and another driver who suffered from heat stroke.

And if the temps weren't enough, my heat is stuck in the ON position, so it's even warmer. But the Texas Heat rad from VAS kept the operating temp below 190 for the whole ride.

my heat is stuck in the ON position, so it's even warmer. But the Texas Heat rad from VAS kept the operating temp below 190 for the whole ride.
Cross referencing the other current thread about aftermarket aluminum radiators for the X, maybe Willy found the answer...just leave the heater on and those rads will work? :D

But seriously Willy, keep an eye on the rad for possible leaks that might develop.

I saw 102 on the GTI outside thermometer today and later the Fatrat performed flawlessly in this heat with no overheating, no leaks and the cabin stayed nice and cool...in my ACed garage with the battery disconnected for the last three days as I do some work on the car.

Cross referencing the other current thread about aftermarket aluminum radiators for the X, maybe Willy found the answer...just leave the heater on and those rads will work? :D

But seriously Willy, keep an eye on the rad for possible leaks that might develop.

Jeff, Bought the rad about 5 years ago, never been an issue so far. It was about the same cost as having the original one cleaned and fixed up.

I saw 102 on the GTI outside thermometer today and later the Fatrat performed flawlessly in this heat with no overheating, no leaks and the cabin stayed nice and cool...in my ACed garage with the battery disconnected for the last three days as I do some work on the car.
That's the answer; don't drive them and you won't have any problems. That is other than it being in your way, dripping oil on your garage floor, smelling like old gear lube, looking like an isore, taking up valuable parking space, costing registration and insurance money, and giving the wife one more thing to complain about. Aside from that you are golden. :D

Hey, the heat wave broke, it's only supposed to get up to 91 today! Tomorrow it's supposed to be only 80....I have to install the heater in the X!

the heat wave broke, it's only supposed to get up to 91 today
Your earlier post said the heat wave was 102. Here 102 is a cold front. I'd give anything to have it that cool, but that won't happen until Halloween.

Careful what you wish for Dr. Jeff.

Back in 1981, I was stationed in Great Lakes Illinois, in July/August, where it was 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I came home (Southern Oregon) on leave where it was 110 degrees (all time record heat for Medford) but only about 15% humidity, and it was pleasant compared to Great Lakes. Then I was off to Orlando which was miserable for a number of reasons.

Humidity makes a huge difference, over 100 is hot to me, but I'll take it if the humidity is low.

Back