Convert 124 from auto using 5spd from 131?

Brett

True Classic
How hard would it be to do what the seller in this ad was planning to do, but didn't?
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4343729698.html
Given that he's supplying the parts?

Also, if its mechanically the same as a spider, could a newer FI engine be installed as well, and if so, how much of a project would *that* be.
I like the boxy sedan look, and I like RWD over FWD ala the 128...
Just something that looked interesting...:mallet::mallet:

Thats Grover Behrens' car. He was at your place when you had the BBQ. He has told me a few times that it was pretty do-able. I had once looked at an auto trans Spider but decided to not go through the extra hassle. I would think a 2L would drop right in as the car already has a twin cam(1600).

It would be easiest to put in a standard 124 5 speed transmission with a 124 Coupe or Sedan drive shaft being standard OE parts.

The engine as is could have fuel injection added to it as the manifold will bolt on to that head with no changes. If its a 1592 (which is the right engine for the car) it is the same block (smaller bore) as the later 1800 (with the 2000 using a similar block which is taller for the greater stroke crankshaft). The 1592 is a very nice engine in any case with the right carb or carbs (twin IDFs, mmm).

Personally I wouldn't want the 131 transmission as the shifter is placed in a more awkward position versus the 124 5 speed with longer throws. There is also no standard OE driveshaft (131 transmission to 124 rear axle) for this application lengthwise. Which is not to say one can't get a quality one built for you.

I have always liked the 124 Sedan, in the right colors it can look very nice indeed. Red would definitely be one of them. The 124 T of which this is an example of, was the "hot" version of the car as all the rest enjoyed the push rod motor as standard. I would want to backdate the front grille and lights to two 7" lights as it makes the car much cleaner looking and less busy in my mind.

As an aside, it is not the same floorpan as a 124 Spider, it is the same pan as the 124 Sport Coupe. Of course all three use the same mechanical arrangement of double A arms up front and a live rear axle with 4 trailing links and a Panhard rod to locate it with coil springs all around.

Go for it Brett

The front portion of the auto trans 124 driveshaft coupled with the 124 5 speed rear driveshaft works perfect. It doesn't shift quite as smooth as the 124 5 speed but the racers like it because it is more robust and you can put any kind of squirrel juice oil you want in it. (steel syncros) I cut a hole in the trim plate for the shifter and it didn't bother me. There is also an Abarth shifter that puts the gear shifter in the proper location. It's hard to find though. It would be the only trans you would need if the one you are putting in is good.

Chris
Oakland,Ca.

Back