Coolant schematic with Tipo cylinder head

Don, I imagine any hose barb could added. Considering you are drilling/tapping the new hole, you can make it any thread and size to suit whatever type of barbs are readily available (so long as they match the hose size).
View attachment 22016

Even a "-AN" fitting to use stainless steel braided hose:
View attachment 22017

AN fittings in that size get really bulky. I had to rethink the reservoir tank lines when I switched to AN fittings, and there's much more room over there. Given the space limitations, standard hose fittings make more sense. The difficult part can be finding one (inexpensively) with a hose size fitting that works with our heater hose.

It is possible to use on Tipo 1600 engine block, water cover from 1300/1500 with old type timming bearing with carrier? I have tried today and can be fitted normaly, just one hole on cover is extra ( finger ) and will be needed that is welded because thru hole will go water.

Attachments

• 20190520_191453.jpg
    20190520_191453.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 108
Andreav, because we really never got any vehicles with the Tipo engine here in the US, that may difficult to get an answer. But maybe one of our European members can help.

This raises another question. If the two parts are interchangeable with a slight modification, maybe the newer Tipo cover could be used on the older X1/9 block. Would that offer any advantage for timing belt tensioner design? I have no idea what type of belt and tensioner the Tipo uses.

Yes that works.
This is the Tipo block with X gasket:
IMG_4514.JPG
The hole next to my index finger is the problem.

This is the X-plate welded up and ground flat on the backs side:
IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4859.JPG

Note that the stud in the center of the tensioner is thinner on the Tipo, but that is no problem.

Jeff, this is the Tipo cover on the X block ;):
IMG_4506.JPG

My philosophy was to use everything from the X motor that I can.
So that it remains an X1/9 motor with a bigger block and head swapped in. :)
The Tipo tensioner is different but I don't see how it is better.

Andreav, because we really never got any vehicles with the Tipo engine here in the US, that may difficult to get an answer. But maybe one of our European members can help.
This raises another question. If the two parts are interchangeable with a slight modification, maybe the newer Tipo cover could be used on the older X1/9 block. Would that offer any advantage for timing belt tensioner design? I have no idea what type of belt and tensioner the Tipo uses.
Think there is no advanatages probably in bearing or belt setups, just I like if is possible that is all assembled that works like standard.

Yes that works.
This is the Tipo block with X gasket:
View attachment 22167
The hole next to my index finger is the problem.

This is the X-plate welded up and ground flat on the backs side:
View attachment 22168 View attachment 22169

Note that the stud in the center of the tensioner is thinner on the Tipo, but that is no problem.
Excellent Ulix, I have think that this will work, but perfect is when someone tried and confirm that will work :)

Excellent Ulix, I have think that this will work, but perfect is when someone tried and confirm that will work :)

It does work, he did it . Look at the pics, and re-read what he said. I understand English is not your first language, so likely you just misinterpreted his statements above.

Last edited:
I believe he was just agreeing on the application working and acknowledging Ulix's accomplishment of it, not questioning if it will work.

Yeah, I agree with Jeff, I want to say that is great that someone can confirm that this work, sorry guys sometimes on my wrong writing.

The Tipo and Punto engines use an eccentric tensioner, you use a peg spanner to set the belt tension. I don't really see why one would want to revert to the X1/9 style tensioner. 2013-04-21 17.55.25.jpg
Tipo/Punto Sporting
2012-08-27 21.26.34.jpg
Punto GT - note the end cover plate has shrunk to just a core plug!

I want to return on X1/9 style tensioner becaue will use engine mount from related car and want that all work like from factory.

Good info, didnt know for Punto GT that have only core plug instead plate.

The Tipo and Punto engines use an eccentric tensioner, you use a peg spanner to set the belt tension.
Thanks Rachael. I am very familiar with that type of tensioner, my old water cooled VW engines use it. Personally I like it and find it easier to deal with than the spring-loaded one on the SOHC.

I want to return on X1/9 style tensioner becaue will use engine mount from related car
Without having one to look at I can't tell. Would switching to the Tipo type cover prevent the mounting of the "snail" engine mount?

I believe he was just agreeing on the application working and acknowledging Ulix's accomplishment of it, not questioning if it will work.

I don't think so :D....

Yeah, I agree with Jeff, I want to say that is great that someone can confirm that this work, sorry guys sometimes on my wrong writing.

Andreav - Ulix is saying it DOES work, he's already done it. The pics show the plate mod to cover the hole you mentioned earlier.

Huss, I think you are the one with a poor understanding of the language here. He just confirmed what I said...he agrees it works.

Guys, as I wrtite probably wrong, but yes Dr.Jeff is right, I want to confirm that is great thta someone tried my idea, what confirm me that will work excellent.

Huss, I think you are the one with a poor understanding of the language here. He just confirmed what I said...he agrees it works.

From the post by Ulix above:

"My philosophy was to use everything from the X motor that I can.
The Tipo tensioner is different but I don't see how it is better."

How can you interpret that other than it's already a done deal? :D

From the post by Ulix above:

"My philosophy was to use everything from the X motor that I can.
The Tipo tensioner is different but I don't see how it is better."

How can you interpret that other than it's already a done deal? :D

Hussein,
Yes, done deal.
And everyone understood it that way!
Everyone.
For some reason, you keep understanding that andreav understood differently.
He didn‘t. Reread his post. He is glad that I confirmed his hopes that it would work.
I confirmed it by doing it. :)

Back