Cooling modification

To follow up on my previous post, I already mentioned a fellow clubmember with a UT. He has converted to the UT already more then 30 years ago. Probably one of the first, certainly in the netherlands in a period that information on internet was not widely at hand. He has been using the UT thermostathousing. Since the conversion he has many overheating problems. To solve that he has doubled the piping to the radiator under the car, changed the waterpump pully to a smaller one to increase the flow. Added an electrical pump to keep cooling when the engine is switched off. He told me that overheating still occurs and that he needs to bleed the block at the thermosensor. When he told me, I was supprised, because I have the same engine and don’t need all these extra cooling precautions. But now I understand that he has no air separation on the top of the block. During driving an airpocket will start to form in the engine and cooling will become hard. I have advised him to install an X thermostathouse.

I also think the X1/9 thermostat housing does a better job, and standard hoses can be used. The only drawback is the lack of temp sensor which is necessary. How did you solve that issue?

Back