Corner weights?

Now you tell me! I like coming up to your place but in in a car with no AC in our hot humid weather.

Take your time. If it was a big deal then I know a guy with a pickup and tow dolly.
Walter and I also need to do a field trip to compare your Prima brake install to mine.

Take your time. If it was a big deal then I know a guy with a pickup and tow dolly.
Walter and I also need to do a field trip to compare your Prima brake install to mine.
I like field trips that end up near me for a change.

To get the best out of my mediocre driving talents I get my cars corner weights checked before every season, as I'll normally have had some part of the suspension apart over the winter. The first time I had it done after fitting the adjustable suspension I did a very basic adjustment at home with a tape measure against the body. When on the corner scales there were discrepancies of up to 65kg/140lb across the corners, Imagine the effect on the handling of having several bags of sand on one corner!

I really sent everyone in the wrong direction when I mentioned corner weights. This has nothing to do with actual tuning of corner weights, it's just to know what capacity scale I need if I'm weighing my X with a scale used at each corner to add them up for total car weight.

If I was really into corner weighing for street use then I'm probably driving too fast

Carl, regardless of the reason for your inquiry - you are driving too fast. I've seen you drive. There should not be shock waves coming from the nose of your car.

I really sent everyone in the wrong direction when I mentioned corner weights. This has nothing to do with actual tuning of corner weights, it's just to know what capacity scale I need if I'm weighing my X with a scale used at each corner to add them up for total car weight.

If I was really into corner weighing for street use then I'm probably driving too fast
I think Steve's prior post answered it best, calculating from a typical X1/9 total weight and the front/rear bias. Sounds like 650 lbs per corner should work. You could get the 1000 lb set of scales you posted (capable of 250 lbs each) and combine them to measure one corner at a time. Or for less money you can get a similar set with a 5000 lb capacity ( 1250 lb each) and measure all four corners at once:

Can't you just get the car to a local weigh bridge. Garden/sand supplies etc, costs next to nothing. That's what I did with my track car, 700kg.

Total car weigh? Go to the dump. They weigh the car going in and they weigh the car going out. You will only need to pay per pound for all the parts that fall off while at the dump. Could be expensive.

That was my original plan but there is always a long line of loaded trucks there. I think if I go there late Sunday afternoon there is no wait.
I was originally going to just go get a pair of cheap ass bathroom scales and double them up under each wheel as suggested in a prior thread. But these meaningless projects take on a life of their own.

I had been on scales with Mini, unplanned- at a place where steel products are sold- checking if anything is stolen.

@carl you should go make friends with the folks at a local race shop. I bet they are pretty slow and don't care if you drive up on their scale... My guess is that Radial Tire, Intersport and a couple of others nearby have scales...

I like the idea of doing this in my garage and is also handy for when I make changes, like taking four pounds off the rear trunk lid (and watching it flex like a piece of duct work sheet metal).

Back