Covering license plate in pictures

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
I've noticed this a lot over the years, when people post pictures online, they blur out the license plates a lot. I'm curious what the rationale behind this is. I mean, this is information anybody with a dashcam rolling down the highway near you can acquire. It's basically out there for anyone to see.

So why the paranoia about not showing it in pictures?

I've noticed this a lot over the years, when people post pictures online, they blur out the license plates a lot. I'm curious what the rationale behind this is. I mean, this is information anybody with a dashcam rolling down the highway near you can acquire. It's basically out there for anyone to see.

So why the paranoia about not showing it in pictures?
I am glad you asked. I have thought the same thing

Odie

You can pull Carfax reports by VIN info, or by Plate&State info. I suppose that is one reason, although I don't think Carfax makes owner info available. I am sure there are other ways to use plates to ID address of the owners. The cops do it all the time. ;) I have no doubt there are ways the public can access this info, I have just never looked.

I find it funny that various people I know insist on shredding anything with their name or address on it. That is public info that is available online, nation wide, provided by your local government. Anywho...

The old quote from author Joseph Heller in his book Catch-22 says:
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” :p

I first thought about the whole "people can get your address from it" then i realized they see me on the road as well and i dont cover it there.

Odie

I first thought about the whole "people can get your address from it" then i realized they see me on the road as well and i dont cover it there.

Odie

Well, that and, unless your car is in an enclosed garage, anybody driving by has both your license plate and your address already.

In Solo 2 clubs, people are hiding their license plate because of the insurance companies. In Québec, insurance claims could be denied if they can prove that you race your car ANYTIME (not even when the accident happened). Some insurace companies asked about racing and if you say "yes", then you can't insure your car with them.

I can tell you it is pointless to cover up your tag.. Why? Just thank Google and Facebook... These companies are doing OCR on every photo that is uploaded and then indexing them. They can detect that it is a license plate but don't care... For example my tag is VCT-3095.... Search that in google images and you get:

https://www.google.com/search?q=VCT...HRxXBYYQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1151&bih=629&dpr=2

BTW: My favorite post of my car is of some woman with a dog and my car just happened to be in the background... The photo has nothing to do with my car!

21630083494_5d383eed18_c.jpg
21631798443_7205c033ba_c.jpg
22252818785_f81b53db82_c.jpg
22252819905_a0b0377024_c.jpg

Ed...

Last edited:
I can tell you it is pointless to cover up your tag.. Why? Just thank Google and Facebook... These companies are doing OCR on every photo that is uploaded and then indexing them. They can detect that it is a license plate but don't care... For example my tag is VCT-3095.... Search that in google images and you get:

https://www.google.com/search?q=VCT...HRxXBYYQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1151&bih=629&dpr=2

BTW: My favorite post of my car is of some woman with a dog and my car just happened to be in the background... The photo has nothing to do with my car!

Ed...
haha if I knew that photo of green ome existed, would add it when it was for sale
91B64792-A006-4D91-B690-06040C9012AB.png
BC42675C-C0CF-44A8-A7C7-16D91DD425DF.png
0F845482-E621-4969-88EC-7EED443DEB43.png

View attachment 28812 View attachment 28813 View attachment 28814 View attachment 28815

Ed...
I guess Google and Facebook don't like me. I just ran all my plate numbers and did not get any hits.

I'm sure there is some sort of license plate database being compiled somewhere, with a means of tracing the whereabouts of any vehicle that the authorities want to know about (for whatever reason). Sort of reminds me of how the data from those "home DNA kits" have been used to solve numerous crimes; people want to learn their ancestry, but end up in prison for a unsolved crime they (or their relative) committed decades ago. Isn't there something going on with cell phone conversations being monitored also? Time to put my tinfoil hat on.

Corsa body kit that was installed by the dealer..... I even have the original receipt for it... At some point in the future I am going to go for the cleaner look and want to sell the front, both sides and the rear if you are interested...

Corsa body kit
Of course, sorry I didn't recognize it....at first glance I was thinking it was a aftermarket add-on spoiler only.
I've always really liked the style of the lower portion (spoiler section) on these Corsa's, but I prefer bumperless overall.

Of course, sorry I didn't recognize it....at first glance I was thinking it was a aftermarket add-on spoiler only.
I've always really liked the style of the lower portion (spoiler section) on these Corsa's, but I prefer bumperless overall.

Yeah, I am going to do a different look at some point....

I have seen a police car with a camera that reads plates and compares them for warrants and stolen cars then alerts the officer in the patrol car. I'm sure it keeps a log they don't tell anyone about. I also had a friend that was in MLM and pyramid schemes and he was logging plate numbers and locations then sending them to some company that would sell the location to someone that would pay, like to repo a car.

Appall's comment about companies selling license plate info reminded me of a guy I knew many years ago (before the internet) in SoCal. He had a successful business selling names, addresses, and all sorts of vehicle information to car dealerships so they could contact the owners (for marketing) based on the vehicles they owned and area they lived in (near the dealer). The interesting part is he got all of that information directly from the department of motor vehicles (which is run by the state in CA). Apparently they will sell all of your info to anyone willing to pay. You'd think a government agency wouldn't do that, but they do (at least did, I'm not sure if it has changed). And I'm sure the internet has made it much easier to do now.

View attachment 28812 View attachment 28813 View attachment 28814 View attachment 28815

Ed...

I just tried that - pics of mine come up, even where no plate is evident, so once the association is there, I guess it''s a moot point. Also noticed the associated link tabs...

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.02.07-11_53_31.png

Turns out my new plate is a spa :D

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.02.07-11_57_07.png
screenshot-www.google.com-2020.02.07-11_53_31.png

Also noticed the associated link tabs
I've noticed similar when using Google Image for other things. It tends to bring up completely non related stuff that apparently have some sort of cross link/tag in the title or description. Sometimes it is hilarious what comes up.

I've noticed similar when using Google Image for other things. It tends to bring up completely non related stuff that apparently have some sort of cross link/tag in the title or description. Sometimes it is hilarious what comes up.

In my case, those are all related, however tangentially :D

Back