Crank cleaning

robsad

True Classic
Hi All,
My machinist cleaned my 1500 crank on the outside because I told him the 10mm gallery plugs were unavailable. When I got the crank home I shot carb cleaner and compressed air multiple times in any oriface on the crank I could find and saw no debris of any kind. Just after I installed the crank, oil pump and pan I opened up the box for my fuel pump there was a small bag containing the 10 MM gallery plugs. I think MWB put them in that box but failed to let me know. I hate the thought of taking everything apart just to remove those plugs and clean those passageways. Given my previous cleaning procedures should I be concerned that I didn't remove the old plugs and cleaned those areas ? I've read various places that removing those four plugs is probably not a big deal. Any thoughts ?

Bob

As your engine is a known mileage and you have done all the regular oil changes, your probably going to be OK... but if the crank was of unknown origins, it needs to be done, you would be amazed at the amount of crud that gets centrifuged out in the oil galleries... it doesn't budge with regular solvents, it usually needs to be drilled out!

SteveC

I've always been amazed at how much trash was caught up under the gallery plugs, even after doing the brake cleaner and compressed air routine. Good news is that it's got a good chance of staying there.
BTW - There's little reason not to replace the pressed in gallery plugs with threaded ones when the crank is out.

I wouldn't leave those untouched

IMG_0296_zpsc870fc21.jpg

Back