Crankshaft Cleaning

B0b

Daily Driver
After I spent quality time at my wash tank cleaning the crank, using air blast and long nozzles to get into the drillings, I decided, at the insistence of the shop that balanced the crank, to pull the four 10mm drilling plugs.
I didn't want to do this, mainly because of hassles getting the replacement plugs.
This is the amount of crud I removed from the 4 drillings, just using an appropriate sized drill bit, by hand. More came out with solvent.
2019-12-02_00001.jpg

Just thought I'd share in case someone was thinking along the lines I was initially.
I was shocked at the amount and how firm it was.

BTW, while the plugs are available at MWB, if, like me, you are on the north side of the border and don't want to pay shipping that is more than the parts, VW part # N-011-910-4 is a aperfect fit 10mm plug, C$1.65 each, and readily available.

Lots of engines have their own little quirks when it comes to cleaning during a rebuild.

For example, the early and mid 1800cc used in among other things MG-Bs is prone to a crazy rust build up at the base of the block water jacket near #4 to the point that it totally occludes the passages that lead to the water jacket drain cock. Many horror stories on the MG forums from home rebuilders trying to clear that passageway.

Just thought I'd share in case someone was thinking along the lines I was initially.
Bob, thanks for sharing that. I originally had the same thought as you and I just cleaned the crank's passages with pressurized solvent and a flexible wire brush. Seemed like very little came out so I was thinking I'd not pull out the plugs. Then I removed the oil galley plugs from the block, after a similar cleaning of those passages already. The amount of crud I found in there wasn't horrific but it was enough to convince me that ALL plugs need to come out for proper cleaning. I haven't pulled out the crank ones yet (waiting for the replacements to arrive first, just in case), but seeing your results definitely convinces me it is the right thing to do! That photo is hard to argue with.

Back