Cylinder Head Rebuild for an 850 Spider

GarageTimeTV

Garage Time TV
Hello all!

My most recent video covers the cylinder head rebuild of my 843cc engine. The 903cc is slightly different as they have seats for valve guides while the 843/817 do not. Hopefully this can be useful and any input is appreciated! A subscribe would be appreciated too lol

Couple suggestions:
1. Close trunk lid before attempting to back up.
2. Wear those pointy toed Italian shoes, not your big Nike's.
3. Time to replace throttle cable along with the spring!

Couple suggestions:
1. Close trunk lid before attempting to back up.
2. Wear those pointy toed Italian shoes, not your big Nike's.
3. Time to replace throttle cable along with the spring!
Remember, I’m tall! Sitting in the drivers seat and looking back, I can see through the vents! Perks of being a big guy ;)

Bad phrasing. What I meant to say was that the 817/843 don’t need the rubber caps like the 903.
Oh, seals (with an "l"), not seats (with a "t"). Got it. ;)

None of the Fiat 850 817cc, 843cc or 903cc cylinder heads originally used valve stem seals, as the valve guides were not cut for them. They were, however, used on some later 127/Panda/Uno/etc. derivative engines, which is why you'll find the seals inside some gasket kits from vendors. You may also find used 850 heads with these later guides/seals installed (retrofitted) by a previous owner using the later-model (non-850) parts, as for quite a while these parts were cheaper & easier to find than the original 850 valve guides (even rockauto.com had them!).

Oh, seals (with an "l"), not seats (with a "t"). Got it. ;)

None of the Fiat 850 817cc, 843cc or 903cc cylinder heads originally used valve stem seals, as the valve guides were not cut for them. They were, however, used on some later 127/Panda/Uno/etc. derivative engines, which is why you'll find the seals inside some gasket kits from vendors. You may also find used 850 heads with these later guides/seals installed (retrofitted) by a previous owner using the later-model (non-850) parts, as for quite a while these parts were cheaper & easier to find than the original 850 valve guides (even rockauto.com had them!).
That’s good to know! I love learning about these cars. Such an interesting history.

Back