Dakar rally 2021 - "Classic" category

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
This year the Dakar Rally (in name only, it hasn't had anything to do with Dakar for many years) includes a parallel event with "vintage" race cars from the Dakar's past, referred to as the "Dakar Classic". Although they have defined "classic" as anything older than 2000. :(

These cars are a part of the overall event but also separate in that they have altered routes and distances to better accommodate their limitations. I was hoping to see more vintage rally cars, however the majority this year are various forms of trucks plus a few "buggy's". This is the first year for the classic category so hopefully we will see more cars in future events.

That would be fun but I have to tell you, watching the trucks has been my favorite part.

I know what you mean. Apparently they were not a part of the competition originally. They were just support vehicles to help the race vehicles when needed. But they needed to be as quick as possible to get to a car without wasted time, so they became more and more developed. Eventually a racing class was formed just for them and they became what we see today. Although they still serve as support vehicles also.

Back