Dallara Build

DOT Approved: Yes. "Designed especially for the motorsports enthusiast, the Maxxis Victra VR-1 tires are for drivers who want it all! The VR-1 tires feature a new compound that gets up to operating temperatures quickly and provides tenacious dry traction on the street or during competition."

Yeah your DOT isn’t recognised here unfortunately like Hoosier A7’s with the DOT not for highway use they aren’t road legal here.

Definitely a summer tire, as far as the cold weather warning, I don't drive the fiats in 32* weather, they're in storage and the tires are in my heated shop. I haven't tried the Maxxis yet, probably will when I do the Dallara project.

Definitely a summer tire, as far as the cold weather warning, I don't drive the fiats in 32* weather, they're in storage and the tires are in my heated shop. I haven't tried the Maxxis yet, probably will when I do the Dallara project.

Cool! Which kit are you using? I hope you will post pics of your process when you get to it.

Also, hadn't noticed the Ford Anglia Van in your sig before - do you have pics of that you could share in the NFC forum? My father had one of those in the early 70's (not sure what year, but it would have been 'old', so late 50's/early 60's vintage).

My kit is supposedly from the original molds for the race car, they're only 1 layer of glass very light. I found it on craigslist several years ago for $500.00
I have the car that it's going on just need to find the time to start the project.

Hussein, I'll throw a pic of the Anglia Van and a description on NFC.

Hey guys,

It’s been a while but I’ve been making progress

54A808A2-DF88-4BAD-A3EF-63D7805E7BFF.jpeg

Punto GT gearbox assembled

0A73ED08-7061-425C-A110-0EF7038556D1.jpeg

Motors together with all accessories on and turbo running reverse orientation to clear the AC compressor.

4C9707C3-A6E4-41C8-B8F5-669BFA1307B9.jpeg

7C45E772-CF11-4430-A326-4A280135A99C.jpeg

AEC4BD54-E677-4486-9B27-B4C58AF7C619.jpeg

6E2C9B51-71FA-469C-96A5-0299B20E8222.jpeg

Motec ECU is all wired up and mounted

And here I am sweating doing my valve checks today...
Beautiful car in every aspect (the blue is fab). I especially like the fact it is all fiat. I wish we had access (here) to some other fiat engines. US choises are very limited, shipping and availability alone push most engine mods toward jap motors. Nothing wrong with that, but it's nice to see an X build staying all fiat. I especially like the fact these engines basically plop right in. No reengineering of structures.

Noticed your plate marker lights... I bought the same pair from Pep Boys. Been debating on whether or not to mount em. Guess they look better than the original.

Noticed your plate marker lights... I bought the same pair from Pep Boys. Been debating on whether or not to mount em. Guess they look better than the original.
I got the same kind (from amazon though) they work great. the only issue is covering the stock holes. If I remember they are offset. so I picked one and left the other for now, my car really is more go than show.

Annotation.png

Odie

Yeah I probably wouldn't run them on an original car but they are better than the standard ones if your going to the effort of cleaning up the back. I filled in all the holes which was a nightmare in itself.

Tigeravg The car nearly had a 4agze heart and a k20 both of them I had installed sitting in the car ready to be plumbed up. I purchased a heap of 1.9l stuff ages ago and decided to build an all out turbo monster SOHC for my race car. So I ended up with a good Uno turbo with no home so decided to just stick it in this.

turbo running reverse orientation to clear the AC compressor
Glad to see a AC compressor on a turbo engine in a X. That is what I am working on but a little different version. I am retaining the X's engine (AC version) and using a stock UnoTurbo exhaust manifold and turbo (I did not have the stock UT downpipe so made one similar to the original). The compressor clears the downpipe with the turbo in its original configuration (with the cast iron manifold), but I'll admit they are closer to one another than I'd prefer (heat wise). Hopefully heat shielding and insulation will be enough to make it work.

What is the tubular exhaust manifold you have, custom made or aftermarket unit?

The stock UNO turbo would work since it’s really small. This is an aftermarket tubular manifold the flange placements identical to stock. It’s the turbo size that’s the reason I did it this way. Plus I’d prefer the heat facing away from the compressor housing. In reality I could of made it work the other way but the exhaust would be nearly touching the alternator and compressor. Considering how difficult they are to get in there I really didn’t want to be replacing them all the time.

This is an aftermarket tubular manifold the flange placements identical to stock. It’s the turbo size that’s the reason I did it this way. Plus I’d prefer the heat facing away from the compressor housing.
Great job. The stock UT manifold I have has had several cracks repaired. If for any reason it does not work out I will go with a aftermarket tubular one like that.

They aren’t much better for cracking unfortunately, this ones cracked several times. The one advantage is it’s easily repairable. Hopefully I’ve modified it enough now it shouldn’t crack.

One thing I noticed with the stock UT arrangement is a support bracket from the turbo mounting flange (at the manifold's exit) to the block below. I'm sure this is intended to support the weight of the turbo off the end of the manifold to help alleviate stress. Because I am using a X1/9 block, it does not have the cast pad and threaded holes for that bracket. However it has a similar spot near by for what was some smog equipment (now removed). So I modified the support bracket to utilize that mounting location instead. I suppose it could be argued the bracket did not help much (by the cracks in the manifold). But I think a lot of the reason for these cracks is due to it being cast iron and the excessive heat. For your tubular manifold I suspect a big factor with cracks is the weight of the turbo on the relatively thin walled manifold. So a support brack may be more beneficial in your case (if you don't already have one).

Yeah it’s always had the support bracket it’s basically not optional on a turbo manifold.

It certainly is tight!

Back