Dallara & K24: Recovering From OffRoad Experience

lookforjoe

True Classic
Crashed car Friday 5/01. Pics here

Put the car up on jack stands this afternoon, to check the extent of the damage.

Center section took a hit

IMG-20200502-173218.jpg

Water pipes pushed in, but not ruptured, cover peeled back, floor pans pushed in

IMG-20200502-174203.jpg

holes where the swaybar was ripped out
IMG-20200502-174159.jpg

IMG-20200502-173826.jpg

rad support pushed back - rad seems fine - AC condenser, not so much.

IMG-20200502-174143.jpg

I think all the spoiler bracing I added helped mitigate the damage, as that must have absorbed some of the initial impact - after all, the entire nose didn't explode on me.

IMG-20200502-175712.jpg

forward k20 subframe bent - pan ruptured, but not pushed in. so oil pump & baffle kit should be OK

IMG-20200502-173624.jpg

IMG-20200502-173244.jpg

IMG-20200502-173639.jpg

Mount ears 'look' OK - I'll find out when I take it all apart.

IMG-20200502-173631.jpg

I'll be welding the cover panels instead of bonding next time

IMG-20200502-172324.jpg

IMG-20200502-172328.jpg

IMG-20200502-172345.jpg

crack in fiberglass, popped the rivet plug, stress fractures in the glass above the strip
IMG-20200502-172404.jpg

Door shunted the post

IMG-20200502-172413.jpg

Further damage from the drop off the tow truck

IMG-20200502-172336.jpg

Cleaned the car & undercarriage to remove all the mud. At least it looks good from the 3/4 views :D

IMG-20200502-192105.jpg

IMG-20200502-192116.jpg

IMG-20200502-192138.jpg

subframedamage-jpg2.jpg

subframedamage-jpg4.jpg

IMG-20200502-192253.jpg

So, not so bad overall. Not sure how I will address the water pipe tunnel. Greenwood will make a new spoiler/fender section when it is possible to get out & about. MWB will make me a new subframe forward section.

All in all that is quite a lot of damage. But as you say, not as bad as it could have been. Anything is repairable. Does insurance pay a role on this?

As a side note. One of the X's I bought had the coolant pipes smashed in a bit. It was toward the front, just before they enter the tunnel cover. Looked like someone drove into a tall 'speed bump' or such. It didn't appear to be too bad, but I found out it had a significant impact of the cooling ability. I guess it doesn't take much of a restriction with the design of the X's cooling system to keep it from functioning properly.

I'm so sorry for you. If you need anything from a stock x19, let us know. I would be willing to send them to you for free. But I think, most of the damages are to the sump and the Dallara body.

Sorry to see this after all the work you've put in to your car. Hope you have it back up and running
in time for some summer drives!

I think I'm going to be sick. :(

Yup. I feel that way.
All in all that is quite a lot of damage. But as you say, not as bad as it could have been. Anything is repairable. Does insurance pay a role on this?

As a side note. One of the X's I bought had the coolant pipes smashed in a bit. It was toward the front, just before they enter the tunnel cover. Looked like someone drove into a tall 'speed bump' or such. It didn't appear to be too bad, but I found out it had a significant impact of the cooling ability. I guess it doesn't take much of a restriction with the design of the X's cooling system to keep it from functioning properly.

No, not going through insurance. I have one of those 'historic car' basic liability plans. It does have a total loss coverage, but that I was going to revisit with them, since it was based on stock body in better-than-average condition (7-8K I think)

Yeah, the water pipes & cover are bothering me more that other aspects, not sure why - I guess it's because I've already crossed all the other bridges (in terms of having worked on the now damaged areas) besides this one. No way I can leave it all knarly like that....

Last edited:
Well that sucks.

I'm sure you'll have the X back to the beautiful shape it was in before the off road excursion.

Now that it's been a couple of days, how are you feeling? I hope no damage to your body.

Michael

Hussein, you DO know this was caused by those headlight covers, don't you? :rolleyes:
I managed to drive over a traffic island in the rain in early December- destroyed 2 wheels and tires (staggered of course).:oops:
Glad you're OK. Maybe a guardrail hit might have been cheaper to repair.

That really is terrible. One thing to trash a stock X but with all the custom work you have in this car it's tragic.
The new date for Carlisle is August so the clock is running!

Well that sucks.

I'm sure you'll have the X back to the beautiful shape it was in before the off road excursion.

Now that it's been a couple of days, how are you feeling? I hope no damage to your body.

Michael

Thanks Michael I'm physically OK - just depressed about it now.

Hussein, you DO know this was caused by those headlight covers, don't you? :rolleyes:
I managed to drive over a traffic island in the rain in early December- destroyed 2 wheels and tires (staggered of course).:oops:
Glad you're OK. Maybe a guardrail hit might have been cheaper to repair.

Ouch. Nah, guardrail hit would have totalled it, I was going 40-45 60+ mph in the bend, nothing for the car in terms of capability, but way too fast to hit a guardrail.

Last edited:
That really is terrible. One thing to trash a stock X but with all the custom work you have in this car it's tragic.
The new date for Carlisle is August so the clock is running!

I may have to come in the Volvo, unless I pay to get the paint done. That may have to happen anyway, since I don't trust I can blend into the existing paintwork the way a professional can handle it.

Last edited:
Damn. Not pretty. I know all about custom builds. But also know to do them is to live them and the will is always there.

Sorry to hear, but expect to see a game plan soon on the rebuild. That is what we are made of.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Thanks Michael I'm physically OK - just depressed about it now.
Good to hear your ok.

I really enjoyed the build thread. All the work you put into it convinced me it was not something I wanted to take on. I could make the time but there is a significant lack of talent on my end.

I hope you get it back into great shape more quickly than you expect.

That sucks but glad you are Ok, metal and fibreglass can be fixed, did you loose the backend accelerating out of the bend?

That sucks but glad you are Ok, metal and fibreglass can be fixed, did you loose the backend accelerating out of the bend?

No, the car went where I pointed it, very stabile in that regard - the problem was the debris in the roadway that I went over in the apex of the bend sent me outward towards the guardrail, so I pushed the car left & off the road rather than try to pull it right - I could tell I wasn't going to clear the guardrail if I had steered right at that point - I would definitely have creamed the entire driver's side along the rail given my trajectory. In hindsight, the body was very stabile as it went were I pointed it, the back end did not fishtail at all. It is likely that I would have been able to recover from the initial upset if I had been going 15-20mph slower, however no one drives 25mph around that bend, I'd have an SUV up my ass if I'd been driving that speed.

Went back yesterday with the Mrs. to look for any more fibreglass sections I could recover - this is the base post that I actually drove over (down the length of the undercarriage) when I left the pavement:

My pretzeled front sway bar is right there on the ground, oil stain on the bar
IMG-20200501-163913.jpg

Copied from Dallara thread:

Sorry to see that. Glad the flares did not get too much damages. You will have the oportunity to do a new front air dam.:oops: Did you have to call the tow truck? Oil pans are plenty.

Thinking about this, Daniel. Since I have to redo the nose, I may try to simplify the lines & bring the profile closer to the original, that would mean losing an inch or more up above the lights, reducing the angle down to the spoiler transisiton - helps make the spoiler jut out more, I think also.

nosecrop.jpg

Back