Dash covers

Yves

True Classic
I'm looking Dash Cover to protect from the sun.
I found at "Dash Designs" dash cover product four my X .

The material choice is:
  • Poly Carpet
  • Plush Velours
  • Brushed Suede
  • Sedona Suede
  • DashTex
My choice tends to DashTex or Brushed Suede.
What you think will be correct for a X?
Any recommendation of experience with "Dash Designs" product?.
http://dashdesigns.com/dash-covers

By the way a teaser ... my bumper conversion to Euro Blade 74-75

img4059yg.jpg

Yves,

As a suggestion:
Over here in America we see plenty of these dash covers and in my opinion the material choices are best viewed in person, as they may not be well represented on-line (assuming that is how you are seeing them). I believe the company will send you sample patches of the materials to review. That way you can make a better decision to sit your personal choice.
As a side note, I have found them to be a good affordable option to protect a good dash or hide a bad one. They fit well, remove easily, and don't appear too bad (although others may disagree).
Let us know what you decide.

Re dash covers...

...years ago we had a guy from a Dash Restoration company come along to one of our monthly Fiat Club meetings and one of the things he told us was that those carpet type dash covers don't do the dash underneath any good because they trap the heat underneath and it's just like having the sun directly on it anyway.

What I always use is one of those fold away silver windscreen shades (either inside or outside). This helps keep the heat away as much as possible.

Of course if the dash is already cracked, a cover is probably an improvement!

Very expensive but worth it.. Before and after pics in alcantera. I think it would be a lot less expensive on a modern dash with out all the bends and curves but on an early dash. There was a lot of measuring and stitching. I think having the the stitching in Red would look good too...It took my interior guy 3 days to finish one of these. More pics later in the car

My cost was about 600 bucks and I think it was probably an 800 dollar retail job. I bet it would be a couple hundred less for a modern dash. The Alcantera is very expensive too.... I am heading to the Interior place tomorrow to get some for another car I am doing myself. I like the look a lot...

Thanks for the feedback,

first my dash is in really in good shape no crack. Two reasons why I'm looking for dash cover, first protect from sun to stretching longevity and sun glare.

From the feedback it looking like with dash cover, the heat from sun have same impact ... they just cook under the dash cover but for the sun-glare that can be a solution.

So I think I'll wait and invest in a good pair of polarized sunglasses:sun:and also in fold away silver windscreen shades.

Thanks

Dash protection

Yves,
I will somewhat disagree with the comment that covering the dash does not offer any protection from sun damage. While it is true that heat will accelerate the release of 'plasticizers' from the plastics, it is UV that causes the greatest damage. Covering the dash will block the UV from reaching it as well as reduce its surface temperature some. Therefore it might not completely eliminate it, but the rate of damage will be significantly reduced. Naturally a dash cover will not help the rest of the interior from sum damage, so blocking the windows (preferably ALL of the windows) may be best overall...just a bit more hassle every time you get in/out of the car. Perhaps consider a car cover to protect the exterior as well as the interior?

Jeff,

You have a really good point the "UV", they are very damageable. I forget that point in my criteria.

In my case most of the time at home the car is in a garage, about one time a week I use to go to work if it is sunny and the car is exposed for about 7 hours with windows close and the top on.

Maybe the best will be the dash cover and windscreen shades when car is parked for a long exposed sun period.

Y try to found an hassle free solution.

Thanks Jeff for your comment

Euro Bumper 74-75

Thank you Mickey,
soon I will post some pictures of the conversion to Euro 74-75 bumper.

Back