Dash lights and switches - fog light switch?

RyanG

True Classic
Was there ever a factory fog light switch in the x1/9? My car came with fog lights, which I like
DAE29262-CA00-4191-98B7-E2C375397374.jpeg

But I don’t like the switch the PO used
71B6DB9F-85B7-437C-B851-10BE72699A9F.jpeg

It’s the one on the far right. It looks out of place and it’s too bright at night. I was thinking of trying to figure out a way to use a different factory switch like this
45361761-C05D-4121-A978-809E4A90A113.jpeg

this is a fiat switch I found on eBay. Has anyone done this. I believe this is a two position switch and my fog lights have 2 different settings. The switch is around $30 shipped so I might give it a shot.
Another project I’m working on is retrofitting a usb charging socket into the old lighter housing
527C7DD7-5C37-4E3C-BBB7-3C94FAA70EE9.jpeg

57E92629-9C2D-49D3-97E3-20EB80E4F91E.jpeg

E69FB44B-ED62-4AA1-8738-9DC03195D873.jpeg

just a test fit. I need to secure the outlet into the green ring and then figure out wiring.

I'm curious what the two positions for your fog lights are, aside from on and off?

The interior light switch is a three position switch; off, "on" position #1, and "on" position #2. Since that switch is useless for its original function, you could repurpose it as the fog light switch. The icon symbol is of a light bulb so not completely off target. I want to look into removing the existing white print and applying a new symbol for some of my switches, but haven't investigated the options yet.

To be honest $30 seems a bit high for a switch. There was a guy selling new Fiat switches for all sorts of functions at less than half that. I don't recall the name of site off hand. There may also be Lada switches that are the same as ours? If so they would be very affordable.

I'm curious what the two positions for your fog lights are, aside from on and off?

The interior light switch is a three position switch; off, "on" position #1, and "on" position #2. Since that switch is useless for its original function, you could repurpose it as the fog light switch. The icon symbol is of a light bulb so not completely off target. I want to look into removing the existing white print and applying a new symbol for some of my switches, but haven't investigated the options yet.

To be honest $30 seems a bit high for a switch. There was a guy selling new Fiat switches for all sorts of functions at less than half that. I don't recall the name of site off hand. There may also be Lada switches that are the same as ours? If so they would be very affordable.
Jeff - my fog lights each have 3 bulbs in them. They function kind of like a hi and lo beam. I think one setting for “fog” and one for “driving”. Each bulb has a little different beam angle. The current switch is a narrow side-by-side switch. The red toggle is the off and on. The green toggle switches between the two different beams.
My interior light switch is currently wired to turn the radiator fan on. The PO had done this. I’d like to get the fan wired back up to the temp switch. And perhaps I should do that first and then use that switch for my fog likes.
As far as the cost of that eBay switch in the picture I posted, it’s around $15 but s/h is around $15.
Your idea of creating new icons for the switches would been neat. I’d love to crest a “fog light” symbol that matched the Fiat style. Just have no idea how to do that to an old switch.

Jeff - my fog lights each have 3 bulbs in them. They function kind of like a hi and lo beam. I think one setting for “fog” and one for “driving”. Each bulb has a little different beam angle. The current switch is a narrow side-by-side switch. The red toggle is the off and on. The green toggle switches between the two different beams.
My interior light switch is currently wired to turn the radiator fan on. The PO had done this. I’d like to get the fan wired back up to the temp switch. And perhaps I should do that first and then use that switch for my fog likes.
As far as the cost of that eBay switch in the picture I posted, it’s around $15 but s/h is around $15.
Your idea of creating new icons for the switches would been neat. I’d love to crest a “fog light” symbol that matched the Fiat style. Just have no idea how to do that to an old switch.
That's pretty cool, I've never seen accessory lights that are a dual fog and driving light. Do you notice much difference on the road between the two modes? Any idea who made them?

I definitely would have the fan connected to the temperature switch and not a dash switch. Some people like to have both; the temp switch for normal function, and a manual override switch to control the fan themselves. While there is no problem with that (provided the temp switch is still connected normally), I've never seen any need for the second manual switch. But definitely make sure the temp switch is hooked up and working properly.

Because the "dash lights" switch is a 3-position one, it is well suited for your accessory lights. Then if you wanted to retain a second manual switch for the fan you could add a normal on/off one.

I should have known that the bulk of the switch price was in shipping. That has gotten way out of hand...shipping is often more than the item price. :mad:

A couple of members have made new control icons by downloading the image off the web and printing them on some sort of acrylic (if I remember correctly) backing. But I haven't looked into it so I don't know the exact process. I have managed to remove existing images from some things by either a eraser (as on a pencil) or a mild solvent. In fact I've accidently removed some just while cleaning the interior. So getting the old one off isn't too difficult.

That's pretty cool, I've never seen accessory lights that are a dual fog and driving light. Do you notice much difference on the road between the two modes? Any idea who made them?

I definitely would have the fan connected to the temperature switch and not a dash switch. Some people like to have both; the temp switch for normal function, and a manual override switch to control the fan themselves. While there is no problem with that (provided the temp switch is still connected normally), I've never seen any need for the second manual switch. But definitely make sure the temp switch is hooked up and working properly.

Because the "dash lights" switch is a 3-position one, it is well suited for your accessory lights. Then if you wanted to retain a second manual switch for the fan you could add a normal on/off one.

I should have known that the bulk of the switch price was in shipping. That has gotten way out of hand...shipping is often more than the item price. :mad:

A couple of members have made new control icons by downloading the image off the web and printing them on some sort of acrylic (if I remember correctly) backing. But I haven't looked into it so I don't know the exact process. I have managed to remove existing images from some things by either a eraser (as on a pencil) or a mild solvent. In fact I've accidently removed some just while cleaning the interior. So getting the old one off isn't too difficult.
I’m out of town and can’t remember the brand of the lights. When I get home in a couple of weeks I’ll take some pictures and post them. There is a bit of a difference with the two settings. I think mostly from the angle of the beam.

Back