Dash repair?

rjplenter

True Classic
Dash repair - DONE

Can this one be resurrected?

We're going to find out. Progress photos (if any) to follow.

Last edited:
I hope so

I will be interested in your progress. Since I have about 5 early dashes, in similiar or maybe a little better condition. I really would like to be able to restore at least one of them. I have been kicking around ideas, but at this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm in the same boat

I intend to attempt refurbishing mine. Mine is in a bit better condition with only the cracks to the top.

Centre console refurbished

Later model clock incorporated...

Thanks to MLott for the padded side panels.

Good job!

Very professional, sharp lines. Looks like it came from the factory that way. :thumbsup:

Dash pic

Thanks for the comments on the center console gents.

Here's a pic of the dash, out of the car and opening up the cracks -

We've dug out the rotten foam core and found a previous repair in the process. I'm not sure what was used, but there was a white hard substance in an old crack. Once I think we've got all the rotten soft stuff out we will refill with expandable foam.

More interior work

Preparation work on the dash continues. In the meantime we are working on other areas of the interior...

Before

After

I'm loving the SEM paints/dyes! :nod:

Also wired in the clock and sorted out some of the birdsnest wiring under the dash. Tomorrow I'll install some relays for the wipers.

Looks fantastic..
But as a painter, I can't say the door panel color is a good match for the door handles.

I think it will come out better with the door handle color on the panels and paint the door handles black.

Exelent work either way and I can't wait to see everything finished :nod:

I'm not convinced either

But I want to get all the interior done first and see what I think. At least I can recolour them if I want. It's amazing how much lighter the interior feels (and looks obviously), it's been a dark place to be unless the roof is off.

More to come...

Not to be argumentative...

But the choice of colors that contrast or compliment each other is generally a PERSONAL OPINION except when trying to camouflage something.

Colors do tend to MAKE or BREAK an automobile though and some do appear more RIGHT than others... but...

I said all this to simply say... I like the LIGHT BEIGE primary color and would use it on EVERYTHING if I was not sensible. Saw this once on a street rod done more in a vanilla and all the interior components, be they leather, material, steel, carpeting, as well as all the handles and switches... MATCHED perfectly.

The only thing that differentiated one from the other were shadows and gap lines between the components, It was AMAZING!

In your case... the arm rest would probably show signs of USE within one day of driving being that light of a color if it were beige. The kinda mustard color you selected might be a great idea to apply to the steering wheel, shifter and all other items that one touches... contrasting the primary beige color if used through out. Especially with the carpet!

Have fun regardless... and keep those fotos coming. You do some great work here!

I will say...

...that the photos aren't a perfect colour match. Taking these photos in the garage lighting is not helping. I suspect photos taken out in the daylight will produce more accurate pics.

The lighter colour is Light Buckskin and the darker is Camel. Pre prep and adhesion promoter are making this job very easy. For reference here is a photo of the interior the day after we got the X home.

And here is where we are up to this morning.

The carpet will stay black. It's one I made using the old carpet as a pattern. I used basic outdoor carpet from either Lowes or Home Depot, don't recall which. I did this years ago with my first X and if you are prepared to take your time it works quite well and the carpet piece is just over 20 bucks!

Cheers,

Rob

It really looks great :)
I'm planing to do this myself with the 78 I bought this summer so its a treat to see how you progress.

Please share the prep and paint method you're using. Perhaps I can get the same products over here.

Keep it comming :worship:

replacement dash

Lately I have seen listed on ebay a replacement dash for early X's from Ricambi - Automobilia, Netherlands. It's fiberglass; can not tell if it is a cap over the old or a total replacement. Price listed is about $330 plus shipping.
I first restored my origoinal dash using a pliable bondo to fill in the cracks, covered the weak areas with a very light weight fiberglass cloth, filler coat, lots of sanding then used a truck bed coating to paint with, gives a texture, clovers up a lot of flaws and is very durable. I ended replacing the old dash with a late model dash that has a better/efficent design.
rbk

I saw that dash, the quality looks pretty poor.
Problem with the later model dash is the gauges are hard to read due to the cluster location. Also, the styling is more Eighties than Seventies.

Lately I have seen listed on ebay a replacement dash for early X's from Ricambi - Automobilia, Netherlands. It's fiberglass; can not tell if it is a cap over the old or a total replacement. Price listed is about $330 plus shipping.
I first restored my origoinal dash using a pliable bondo to fill in the cracks, covered the weak areas with a very light weight fiberglass cloth, filler coat, lots of sanding then used a truck bed coating to paint with, gives a texture, clovers up a lot of flaws and is very durable. I ended replacing the old dash with a late model dash that has a better/efficent design.
rbk

Progress on the dash

Cracks opened up

Expandable foam....expanded!

A couple of shots of the refinished interior

Back