Dash Repair

lanciahf

True Classic
Thought I post some pictures of my dash repair. For those that do not know Scorpion dash boards are made out of ABS and become very brittle.

This past week I spent my nights rebuilding the dash using fiberglass matting and ABS glue. Originally the padded section was held to the vent distribution panel with rivets. Once I drilled out the rivets the dash fell apart. Instead of rivets I chose to use sheet metal with nuts welded to the back side. This metal was held to the plastic with fiberglass and glue.

Rebuilding was a pita, where the dash was intact applying the fiberglass and sheet metal was easy. The areas where plastic was missing I had to come up with creative ways to hold the material and let the glue set. Once it sets you can build from there. Basically apply glue, fiberglass cloth and more glue. Let dry then repeat. My dash was not too bad until I removed the rivets that held the dash to vents then the dash just fell apart. So far it is holding up nicely, I really will not know until next spring when the car is back on the road.

I got the idea about the metal backing plates from Ron Jones at http://www.rongineer.com/Lancia/interior.html His dash came out much neater, all I did different was add fiberglass cloth since I did not trust the plastic.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

PanelPad011.jpg

shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Back