Dash ?

ward00

True Classic
Being that the 75 Monte Carlo that I purchased is my first Lancia, and being that it is in excellent condition, I don't know how to gauge how prone the vinyl used to cover the dashboard is to sun damage/cracking. Is it to be expected that the dash material will eventually crack from sun exposure like the Fiats or is the experience that the material will last much longer. Also, does anyone make dash covers for Lancias? Thanks

Well I guess the first question is, are you sure your dash material is original?

By the time I got mine it had been recovered in vinyl, which doesn't really crack, but will fade in sunlight. My X1/9 dashboard, on the other hand, is made from plastic and will definitely crack. Has definitely cracked, I should say... :p

I'm honestly not sure how Scorpions/MC's left the factory. I suspect there was a vinyl-like material over the plastic parts but I'm not sure.

I think all stock dash pads and door panels were vinyl, even if you had the leather seat option. From photos I've seen of neglected cars, it will still shrink and tear with lots of sun exposure, especially at the stitched seams. The dash has a plastic core which TMH sells reproductions of until year's end.

A windshield sun blocker that fits may be easier to find than a custom dash cover, but unless you're frequently leaving your car parked in the sun for long durations, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm not sure dash only crack because of the sun. On my 1987 x19, my perfect dash was cracked after hibernation under a car cover. Extreme temperature may be involved in that process...

Back