Dashboard crack repair...

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
My '74 has 3 substantial cracks on it that make me think about trying to repair, recondition, or replace it.

My dash:

I found justdashes.com and they seem to be the high water mark for repair and replacement of the dash.

And I know henk is offering leather covered dashes too, but I'm concerned about the busy looking exposed stitches and the almost impossible task of making all of them straight. His sample pics has me wondering.

and of course there is just repairing and respraying what I have got. Probably the cheapest, but also the riskiest from a quality perspective.

that all being said, I think I would like to try to repair the dash myself, and if worse comes to worse, I will send it out to justdashes and spend the $800 or so it will possibly cost.

so... repairing dash cracks. Anyone out there attempt this? What method or type of kit did you use? How did the results turn out?

Crack problem

I had similar cracks in my dash. I experimented with several different fillers, and if I recall, I found that Elmers (as in Elmers glue) ProBond wood filler worked best. It shrinks very little, dries fast, is sandable and paintable. I used several layers to get it even, spreading it with a wet finger to smooth out and feather the final layer. Even though the crack edges created a small ridge, I just didn't have the courage to cut them off, so I filled between them, leveling the filler on top. I purchased this filler at Menards, a big box home building supply store.
The filler I used was white, but once it was all done, I used flat black automotive vinyl paint (purchased from an auto parts store) to paint the entire thing, putting on several thin layers. It turned out very well. The former cracks were hardly noticeable. I was actually quite impressed with my accomplishment!
I'm sure other fillers would work well also. The newer wood fillers, like the one I used, are a synthetic, not wood based product. I think this allows them to work with a wider range of products, not just wood. Good luck!

I would certainly try it myself first too. I would widen the existing cracks and go with some filler. Elmers mentioned is interesting. It would have to have decent expansion properties though since the dash seems extreme temperature swings, I'd be worried the repair would separate again quickly. There's threads here on other's work, many quite impressive, someone wrapped their whole dash in vinyl I believe. I'd probably opt for a flocking finish on the top just cuz it's sports car cool and you wouldn't have to worry about the faux leather grain match on the top anyway

My only concern is even though you fixed the cracks, its still prone to cracking. So it may look ok for a few years? maybe? unless someone has done these repairs with long term results. Im all for cheep and easy lol and if you get a few more years from it awesome. Ill prolly end up taking mine to just dashes, pricey, but a whole new dash? Cant beat that. And it should wear better too

Ever see the vacuum moulded covers available for the Fiat Spider?

They fit nicely (I've done a few), and it looks "ok". I wish there was a solution like this for the X1/9.

I have no cracks in my dash, but eventually I probably will (unless I never drive it during the day! ha!) Anyhow, because the glovebox door is there, it isn't ideal for some sort of cover unless it's very thin.

Hmm, vacuum form - volume would be low, but it can be done!

Vinyl

Yep Jeff, we wrapped ours in vinyl. The job worked out bigger than we expected and the results aren't perfect, but our dash was a basket case so it at least looks better. I should have bought 2 way stretch vinyl not one way, it would have made stretching over all the contours much easier.

If someone could find pristine dashes (early and late type) we could have molds made from them and produce fiberglass reproductions. They could be painted with interior spray like the Eastwood offerings or clad in vinyl or suede or leather.

Or for those with deep pockets, perhaps a line of carbon fibre dashs?

Yeah, dream on...

Cheers,

Rob

I have a perfect late model dash that's just sitting in storage. I would be willing to let someone make a mold of it. I particularly like the idea of a carbon fibre dash. If anyone is up for the job, let me know.

Unless you really have a vacuum molded dash cover really secured properly it warps in the heat, and they can warp something gnarly, especially cause with the Fiat dash it they crack ont only on top but the front and that lower step.

Well I just called justdashes... 8-10 weeks, and $1200! Ugh.

I'm half inclined to yank the interior out of the '78 and spray it black.

dash repair

If you do decide to repair the dash your self; when you get to the point of painting the dash, I recommend using a truck bed liner paint. I will cover/hide a lot of flaws, gives it a texture look and is very durable.
Later,
RBK

yeah - i was looking at the permatex kit after watching a youtube from a guy who fixed his dash with it. It was so so but better than before...

Impressive job, Mark. I am a bit more challenged in comparison (no garage to work from, no experience working with fiberglass) so I'm going to have to try a simpler route.

Like the dash swap between my '74 and the '78. My original thought was make the car look oem restored on the inside, with a year correct dash. The '78 dash would kill that plan, since it has a recess around the light switch area where the '74 is not.

But what am I worried about?? My door panels are not original already, and the rear firewall vinyl, although original, is also ripped. Maybe I should just do a "best of" and make it the way I think it should look...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do decide to repair the dash your self; when you get to the point of painting the dash, I recommend using a truck bed liner paint. I will cover/hide a lot of flaws, gives it a texture look and is very durable.
Later,
RBK

I get what you are saying... I was leaning toward the SEM texture products to flock it after the repair.

That being said, I think I have a plan... the '78 is getting the rebuilt '74 dash, and the '74 is getting the '78's dash, resprayed landau black. I think I am going to add the '78's door panels too, then spraying the brown parts black, and keeping the tan striped part as is. Then perhaps a set of henk's tan leather covers for the '74 seats too :)

The '78 car will get the '74's dash, repaired and retextured and sparayed brown to match interior color. The black recovered door panels in the '74 will be resprayed at the same time and possibly some repair on the drivers seat bolster will finish out the "new" '78's interior.

UPDATE: I soo hate to rape my '78 of it's dash and door panels. I have started to make a serious attempt to fix the '74 dash well enough to make it worthy to return to it's original resting place.

Last edited:
And... to that end... here's my progress so far.

The products I am using (besides a sanding sponge and razor blade)

And how it looks so far (two applications of the tube sealant, two spray & sands of the texture coat):

Some of the crack was showing on the front surface so what you are seeing there is a few dabs of vinyl sealant. The texture is really cool - it comes out a flat charcoal color - gives sort of has a alcantra leather, or cast magnesium look to the dash :)
Once dry. I'll knock it down a little with the sanding sponge and apply another coat of texture. If the crack is not noticible, I will then shoot the full dash surface with texture, then after about 30 min, use my hand to "sand" the surgace down to knock off the overspray. If it looks great, it's getting painted Landau Black :angel: . If not, Cordovan Brown :devil:

Last edited:
Back