Delta 1.6 Turbo swap into Uno Turbo

Janis

True Classic
Maybe can get answer here sooner than on fiatforum.

Does engine from Lancia Delta 1.6hf turbo is plug and play into Uno Turbo?
1.engine mounts can be used original ones?
2.does it match with UT gearbox?
3.if it doesn’t, can Delta’s box be used without modifying shafts(welding)?

Assume that in this case space is not a problem.

Hi mkmini , getting an answer for you on this forum is a bit of a long shot since neither the Uno nor the Lancia Delta Turbo were ever available here. I have seen some Yugos and 128s with the Delta 1.6hf installed in Serbia, but the technical aspect as to how it was done, I don't know. Almost anything can be done, what you are looking for is something the is fairly straight forward.

Hi,Kevin!
Here are few or more members also from Europe or elsewhere that could answer.

Am just figuring options how can get back money of package of cars and parts that am going to buy. By doing this swap, UT would stay roadworthy and easier to resell. And I would have spare UT engine :)

No. The block castings for the SOHC and DOHC are different so the transmission would not work unless you had an adapter plate created. Why not sue the transmission which comes with the 1.6? I personally think this would be a lot of fun.

Both carbed (upright with carb to front) and injection (reversed port) Delta TC swaps have been done. Neither of them are straightforward and both need fabricated engine mounts and some bodywork. You also need a fuel tank relocation if you use a reverse port turbo engine. These engines use a version of the C506 (128 family and X1/9) gearbox that has a different, stretched bellhousing to fit the TC block. You need to use two X1/9 short driveshafts. The Beta engine and box can also be done with similar fabrication of mounts. The Beta also gets you the bigger, heavier and stronger C503 gearbox. Faran offered a Beta engine swap for their modified X1/9s.

Thanks for replies.
Rachael, I think You misunderstood me, I meant into Uno Turbo not X19. But from that answer I assume that also Uno needs custom mounts.

The 8V TC for use in the Delta (and Uno) has a special coolant pump to provide the cam belt end engine mounting. The coolant pump body is cast iron instead of aluminium and has an arm sticking out that attaches to the engine mount on the strut tower. Also the pump fixing bolts are upgraded from M6 to M8. You will note that Dunc upgraded his 8V TC to a 16V TC complete with balancer shafts. This needed bodywork changes to use the late type "underslung" engine/gearbox front mounts found on the Punto, Coupe and Alfa 155/156 platforms. However it is possible to fit a 16V head to the 8V block to avoid having to work around balancer shafts and modifying the car body.

I see he made custom driveshafts, although that is illegal here, it can be done less visible than custom engine mounts.

Thanks, in weekend will check all that “UT and Delta” stuff. And know what will be going to do..

Back