I find this stuff amazing, like witchcraft. Taking actual motion and (add witchcraft) then get it on a digital display. The best I have done was take a timer motor and attach starting lights and a solenoid to make a BMX starting gate. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, amazing!

my plan to over come some of this is to build something like a sleepypi. it will monitor the drivers door and start the boot process when the door is opened and after booting and waiting a defined amount of time if the ignition is not turned on the pi will be properly shutdown again. but i will check out the sleepypi system and test it out

my plan to over come some of this is to build something like a sleepypi. it will monitor the drivers door and start the boot process when the door is opened and after booting and waiting a defined amount of time if the ignition is not turned on the pi will be properly shutdown again. but i will check out the sleepypi system and test it out
Impressive!

First test of the speedometer adapter that will eventually send pulses for speed to the pi.
T
My needle no worky btw

Last edited:
I think he's just calibrating the RPM of the speedo cable to speed reading. You should be able to calculate it if you know the ratio of the cable rotations per single rotation of the differential based on your tire size.

you are correct but my problem is it is very difficult to fit my workshop into the x to program the code so my idea is to make everything work on the bench as if it was in the x. so I had to build a test stand and had to adapt a hobby motor to the original speedo I have designed a 3d printed adapter to attach to the original speedo as seen in the video (yes its loud but it is only on the bench and will not be required in the car. that adapter will also hook up to my hall effect sensor that will hook to the original speedo cable and feed to the raspberry pi.

my design is such that it become a direct replacement of the original gauge cluster.
image of the back side

new connector test back.jpg

the round thing is the magnetic pickup and the hall effect switch for the speedometer

image of my front side of the replacement board
new connector test front.jpg

you are correct but my problem is it is very difficult to fit my workshop into the x to program the code so my idea is to make everything work on the bench as if it was in the x. so I had to build a test stand and had to adapt a hobby motor to the original speedo I have designed a 3d printed adapter to attach to the original speedo as seen in the video (yes its loud but it is only on the bench and will not be required in the car. that adapter will also hook up to my hall effect sensor that will hook to the original speedo cable and feed to the raspberry pi.

my design is such that it become a direct replacement of the original gauge cluster.
image of the back side

View attachment 52006

the round thing is the magnetic pickup and the hall effect switch for the speedometer

image of my front side of the replacement board
View attachment 52005
You could get rid of the speedometer cable altogether. @Yves fit a speed sensor from a VW on the transmission for his electronic speedometer conversion, see this thread, where, sadly, the photos are long gone. VW part number 191 919 149E will fit on the Fiat transmission

Last edited:
Let me know if you want some help with this. I have a Pi also. Maybe a BLE app from your phone to wake the Pi remotely? now I’m intrigued

I think I have the PCB laid out. I have tested the electronics in a simulator and while i have a lot of programming work to do everything appears to work correctly. i have sent the files to the PCB maker. and in 20 days it should be back for testing ( i could have received it quicker but i a few other projects to work on so this will give me time and a break). I have received the LCD screen. I still have to design the 3d printed casing and screen holder.
20211017_175253.jpg

the extra fiat connector is for the connection to the door and direct 12 volt power

io expander.jpg
fiat dash adapter.jpg

Back