Disable seat belt warning chime?

lookforjoe

True Classic
Looking to turn this off. It was annoying before, now there is a fault & the "chime"(too nice a word for it) stays on permanently. Once it's over 12ºF outside, I will deal with it.

I found a thread on Fiat500USA that explains adding a 1K ohm resistor, so I could do that. Also talks about using alfaOBD software & various dongle adaptors to access the unavailable menu options - that sound like a better fix. Anyone done that on here? Unclear what specific adaptor is required for the US market 500s, they list a range on the alfaOBD webpage. I already have OBDLinkMX BT, so I will need some sort of bridge adaptor to activate the additional K lines, it seems.

If you had a '74, you could just unplug the chime (actually a buzzer). I think that was the first mod I did when I brought the car home from the dealer. Right by the fuse panel.

If you had a '74, you could just unplug the chime (actually a buzzer). I think that was the first mod I did when I brought the car home from the dealer. Right by the fuse panel.

If only it were that simple - the chime is integrated into the BCM, as far as I can tell - no way to just unplug it on cars these days.

If only it were that simple - the chime is integrated into the BCM, as far as I can tell - no way to just unplug it on cars these days.
Can you swap in a different chime? I read here somewhere about someone using a mid-80’s Alfa chime?

Last edited:
the threads on using the alfaOBD always hurt my brain. the fellow who gos by Electric Tire Shredder seems to have figured out this stuff, and is quite friendly. If you can't find a thread by him that explains it, I would email him and I bet he's super helpful.

the threads on using the alfaOBD always hurt my brain. the fellow who gos by Electric Tire Shredder seems to have figured out this stuff, and is quite friendly. If you can't find a thread by him that explains it, I would email him and I bet he's super helpful.

hmm... I guess I should download the free/demo Android version to my Google Pixel & see if I can navigate it. The webpage doesn't actually list the features...

Alfa OBD is fantastic. If any of you need any help, feel free to @ me and I'll help as I can.

You can pick up a set of MultiECUScan/Colored OBD adapters in order to access any module on the car. The OBDLink MX has the ability to emulate adapters internally, but I've still been unable to connect to the BCM or Radio modules.

My personal setup is AlfaOBD on my Google Pixel, along with an OBDLink MX+.

Disabling seatbelt chime (and changing a LOT of other useful/convenient options) is trivial with the right hardware.

Many thanks!

I ordered a set of the OBD adaptor cables - once they arrive I'll get the software on to my Pixel. I'll be sure to take you up on the offer, if I can't figure out what I need.

The folks at AlfaOBD did reply to my email - one thing I had mentioned (since it was brought up elsewhere) was whether Sport Mode could be set to default - that apparently is not an option.

Alfa OBD is fantastic. If any of you need any help, feel free to @ me and I'll help as I can.

You can pick up a set of MultiECUScan/Colored OBD adapters in order to access any module on the car. The OBDLink MX has the ability to emulate adapters internally, but I've still been unable to connect to the BCM or Radio modules.

Disabling seatbelt chime (and changing a LOT of other useful/convenient options) is trivial with the right hardware.

@Jonohhh - I bought the OBDII adaptors, and downloaded the software to my phone

The vendors don't say which adaptor does what - do you know which one is used for accessing which system ?

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 8.30.14 PM.png

@Jonohhh - I bought the OBDII adaptors, and downloaded the software to my phone

The vendors don't say which adaptor does what - do you know which one is used for accessing which system ?

View attachment 69610
Alfa OBD often specifies which adapter is necessary when selecting the specific computer you're trying to access, but not the general category.

For example
Fiat > 500 (Type 312) > Body Computer > Delphi/Marelli 2 (Use Yellow Adapter)

Alfa OBD often specifies which adapter is necessary when selecting the specific computer you're trying to access, but not the general category.

For example
Fiat > 500 (Type 312) > Body Computer > Delphi/Marelli 2 (Use Yellow Adapter)

Thank you - figuring out how to do this - since I have to plug a cable in in order to access the menu that indicates which adaptor to use, then reconnect with the correct adaptor...

Anyway, I got the seat belt warning thing figured out. The remaining issue is the flashing mileage (odometer) counter. Disconnecting the battery did not resolve that, I tried it some time ago.

I don't know if that is because of an error, I found one listed with the instrument test. I tried checking the engine aspect, but I have no clue which option (of many) is correct for the drivetrain EMS in the US Spec 500S, so I need to determine that also.

it won't clear, so I presume there is a 'hard' fault. I have to research wtf the U1733 code indicates

Screenshot_20230115-113528.pngScreenshot_20230115-114530.png

Last edited:
Thank you - figuring out how to do this - since I have to plug a cable in in order to access the menu that indicates which adaptor to use, then reconnect with the correct adaptor...

Anyway, I got the seat belt warning thing figured out. The remaining issue is the flashing mileage (odometer) counter. Disconnecting the battery did not resolve that, I tried it some time ago.

I don't know if that is because of an error, I found one listed with the instrument test. I tried checking the engine aspect, but I have no clue which option (of many) is correct for the drivetrain EMS in the US Spec 500S, so I need to determine that also.

View attachment 69747

it won't clear, so I presume there is a 'hard' fault. I have to research wtf the U1733 code indicates.

View attachment 69749
Flashing mileage is most always an indication on these cars that a PROXI alignment needs to be done. This sends the vehicle configuration (and all settings) to every module, following a configuration change.

I'd do a little more reading on a PROXI alignment before doing the procedure, but if I recall it is fairly straightforward.

Flashing mileage is most always an indication on these cars that a PROXI alignment needs to be done. This sends the vehicle configuration (and all settings) to every module, following a configuration change.

I'd do a little more reading on a PROXI alignment before doing the procedure, but if I recall it is fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the insight - I found this info to review. I can give this a try after work today

Proxy Align Steps.jpg

Came home early after seeing ENT doctor again, still sick with sinus infections (ongoing since before xMas).

So, I ran the test on the Fiat - all good now, no more flashing odometer! Thank goodness I found the pictorial guide, the interface is pretty complex. I would have gotten stuck at the "enter code" (since I don't have that info) page...

@Jonohhh - so many thanks for the tips!

Screenshot_20230118-132133.png

No worries mate, I'm glad it's all sorted. I hope you feel better as well!

alfaOBD is a very powerful tool. you can get a lot of benefit from it, but i do advise being careful: it can cause a serious headache with a few misjudged clicks

Back