Discussion on Selling My Gary’s Bertone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Recently, Gary got very disrespectful to his mother and me. He doesn’t believe that anyone would want his 1986 Bertone X1/9.
I would like a discussion on how long it would take for someone here on XWeb to say they would want to purchase his car.
If I was to sell it, I would ask $5,000USD local pickup only plus all the extra parts that I have acquired (which are plentiful).

I would like this to be a teaching lesson for Gary. If he is this disrespectful again, you might see it posted.

I am hoping that Gary will see the attention that his X1/9 will get and I am hoping that this wakes him up and he becomes respectful.

Thanks for your understanding in this situation.
Mike
2FBC6488-FFAC-4F1D-9D9F-1D4CC1310EE3.jpeg
99CB7408-6269-4889-815B-54B3B7563914.jpeg

Considering the wheels are worth several thousand alone, I'd buy it if I had the space! . . . But I don't lol

If you really want to put some fear in him, tell him when he is old enough to have it as his only car that you will not help him keep it running...he will have to do it all on his own. After seeing what you've gone through, that should scare the heck out of him.

Thank you... I am making Gary read the replies and he knows now how much people would appreciate his X1/9 and that he should appreciate his dad trying to keep it running.
I really deeply thank you...
Mike

Walking everywhere you want to go gives you a great appreciation for just about any car...and anyone who would help you get it running.

Nice looking car.
So, what did Gary do and say?
I take it that is Gary in the photo.
He doesn't look much more than ten so if he is pissing you off enough to sell the car now just wait a few more years.
Gary, Dads can be a pain sometimes but it is not from a lack of love, I know because I had one and am one and we try, so straighten up Gary, you have cool dad that is willing to give you such a treasure.
Did I mention that is a nice car?

I am in Jacksonville. I would buy that car in a heartbeat. When it does come up for sale, PM me, and I'll be there with a trailer.

Hi Gary; You sound like a strong willed young man. I think that is a good thing. I will tell you I have a few years on you LOL and I have had and still struggle with a bad temper. Sometimes saying things that I regret. But one thing I have learned is life can be tough and how we handle problems shows our character. When things like this happen think hard about the situation. After things cool down go to your Mom and Dad and apologize for acting out. Just say I'm sorry for how I acted and I'll try to do better. And remember these are life lessons that will make you a better man. Good luck to you Gary.:)

As a father of four and a grandfather of six, I'll weigh in on the practicality of your approach. A total waste of time. Gary is not at the age where consequences are understood. He may say it's his car but unless he can jump in and drive it, it's more a concept than an actual thing. In his mind you will just buy him another one someday. You are trying to reason with him as if he is an adult and that doesn't even work with kids in their twenties.

I disagree Carl ... Lessons like this need to be learned when the kids are young. I raised 2 daughters who learned early that most things like this must be earned and the rights of ownership must be held through responsibility and respect of those around you. A lack of either would result in a struggle to keep anything good in your life because the people around you would almost guarantee you wouldn't. It works this way at a job or with the people who interact with you. I have 6 grand kids and and they're all learning early what that all means. Kids are kids and learn at their individual pace but teaching those lessons should never be put off once the kids have learned to walk. I applaud Tavalin for teaching his son that there are consequences to his actions. So many fail to do that and the results often speak for themselves.

Message for Gary...
Think on it for a while and ask yourself if: (whatever it is) is worth losing something that could change your life. How many of your friends have dads that would go out of their way to get you a car like that? I can tell you with certainty that my parents did not! Quite the opposite in fact.
I remember when I was 12 thinking my mother was the most evil person put on this earth to torment me into doing things I HATED, but all the while she was teaching me to cope with what comes next in life. My father (like most) had little patience and a flash temper but their goal was the same. I can see by this post that your parents are also like-minded and want you to learn these things before the outside world consumes you, and it will if you're not paying attention. Be smart...

Last edited:
I will never argue over parenting skills, my adult children say I was not great. However selling a car that was built and driven by dad to teach a child a life lesson sounds like a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face. Take his cell phone away instead.

I will never argue over parenting skills, my adult children say I was not great. However selling a car that was built and driven by dad to teach a child a life lesson sounds like a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face. Take his cell phone away instead.
That is just what I was thinking. For kids today, that is worse than going to prison.

There is no cut and dried method of parenting but I tend to agree with Carl about taking away something that you never really had.
Parenting is not a job that always gives immediate gratification.

There is a quote that goes something like " When I was 18 years old I thought my parents were the stupidest people in the world but now that I am in my thirties and been on my own it is amazing how smart they really were."

As young people we are looking for our way but haven't enough experience to figure out how.
One time when I was 14 or 15 I got real put out with my parents and decided I was going to get the hell out of Dodge.
In other words run away, and I was only going to take what was mine.
After digging through all the mess in my room it dawned on me if I was going to go with only things that I had gotten myself with out my parents help I was going to have to leave buck-ass naked.

I had bad moments after but at that particular moment I realized that just maybe I wasn't always 100% right.

The fact that Gary's dad is bringing this up here on the forum tells me he is concerned about doing the right thing and trying not to jump blindly like many parents tend to do.

Personally I think we all should get together and give old Gary a blanket party, I know I deserved one or two way back when.
You will know when we are coming Gary because we will all be driving Fiats.

Carl,
Gary from the day I towed the X1/9 into our garage has said that it was his car. A gentleman blocked me pulling out of Lowe’s one day and got out so excited and offered to buy the X1/9 for $6000. I asked Gary and Gary said it was not for sale. The man stormed off and I haven’t seen him again. For tense and purposes, I have this X1/9 for him and go through and back and neck pain for him, not for me.
Again... I really appreciate your honesty.
Mike

Carl,
Gary from the day I towed the X1/9 into our garage has said that it was his car. A gentleman blocked me pulling out of Lowe’s one day and got out so excited and offered to buy the X1/9 for $6000. I asked Gary and Gary said it was not for sale. The man stormed off and I haven’t seen him again. For tense and purposes, I have this X1/9 for him and go through and back and neck pain for him, not for me.
Again... I really appreciate your honesty.
Mike

Mike, I admire your parenting. My dad bought and fixed to running condition, an old 1969 Dodge Dart Custom for me. Gave it to me for my 18th birthday. I loved that car, but the time came to get something more reliable…so I got a Fiat!

Funny, I’ve had conversations with my current girlfriend about a dream I had in which our son (or daughter) would ask me to borrow the Fiat to go to prom. I mean, that’s what I did. My dad’s old Fiat took me to prom and the last few months of high school.

Thank you to everybody. This was hard to do but a necessity.

Gary gets what I was trying to do. He has a gift that is so rare but it can be gone in a second if we wish.
His mom and dad (me and my wife) spend a lot time and money on his X1/9 and we don’t have to. We do it out of love and his love for the X1/9. It is rare that Gary is not in the seat next to me just wanting to drive around. Destination is optional to him.
He understands and I think that is a great thing. What he did does not matter. What matters his that he has learned and says he will take your advice, really great advice if I say so.
Again, thank you for this and the kind words.

I believe that this thread should be closed.

Now back to trying to get the X1/9 running.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back