Distributor options

chumley

Daily Driver
Hi
Could really do with a new distributor cap for my magnet marelli s135 but due to rarity the prices are very high .Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts and if they are the same has other models or possibly change for later one or other options.i have no vac advance and running twin IDF's and in the UK many thanks

Hi
Could really do with a new distributor cap for my magnet marelli s135 but due to rarity the prices are very high .Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts and if they are the same has other models or possibly change for later one or other options.i have no vac advance and running twin IDF's and in the UK many thanks
I don't have any MM dizzys so I'm not familiar with the current market for parts. Is it possibly worth swapping to a Bosch dizzy? Not only are they a better quality item (in my opinion), but you can readily get parts inexpensively, and with a electronic version it will perform slightly better. Just a thought.

Before my uno turbo, I had a distributor from a fiat uno. I got mine from a breakers but I just spotted a new one on ebay for £85. This was an old well documented upgrade while these unos where plentiful. The advantage of these is they are electronic so no points or condenser to worry about and a more reliable spark.
Main point to consider is that on the uno these have a straight cap but for clearance an angle cap. I think I went to a friendly motor factors and asked to test fit caps until I found one that worked.
I think these distributors are a little longer than stock and I recall having to "finesse" the engine bay cover to the wheel well for clearance.

So I realise you asked about distributor cap alternatives, the only alternative I can think of is to swap the distributor :)

Many thanks for the quick replys everyone a few options there to look into alex could you tell me how much works involved to make it fit i can also see a few other dizzys around for similar money for uno strada regatta etc. The cap for mine is more than the price you found for a complete dizzy so makes sense thanks

So to make it fit, you need a right angle cap and not the straight one. (I wish I remembered which cap it was from, but worth asking the vendor)
Then with the original uno dissy it needed about 1cm extra clearance on the removable panel to make it fit. Bit of gentle persuading with a lump hammer and then fresh coat of paint. Move you away from stock but I figured if I wanted to go back to stock I just need another panel.

I did wonder if it could be fitted on the inside instead, easier to access plus extra clearance. But I never given it a try.

I did wonder if it could be fitted on the inside instead, easier to access plus extra clearance. But I never given it a try.
That access panel can be fitted on the inside with a bit of modification. But I'm not sure it that would be any easier than "massaging" it like you did.

Alex, your mention of a inexpensive replacement distributor reminds me of one that has been discussed here before. It is a aftermarket electronic unit, new, direct fit for the SOHC, and very affordable. The reason you reminded me of it was due to the need to clearance the access cover a bit. This replacement unit is also a little taller and needs a touch of extra room. But I think I remember it uses a "straight - up" style cap. Let me see if I can find a reference to it.

Here is one thread about that aftermarket distributor I remembered:

I see the original eBay links to it are now dead. But read through the thread and see if there's enough detail to search for it online.

I don't recall any long term feedback about the quality of it. But for the price it might be worth a try to get away from the MM dizzy with the expensive cap.

Maybe this one was made for the uno 60 I think. The unit I actually fitted was not aftermarket but as supplied by fiat on an uno. As I recall it was a 1.1 version of the SOHC block which made it an easy swap.

If you can find one - might be better than aftermarket. Overall best of luck and hope it helps

Here is one thread about that aftermarket distributor I remembered:

I see the original eBay links to it are now dead. But read through the thread and see if there's enough detail to search for it online.

I don't recall any long term feedback about the quality of it. But for the price it might be worth a try to get away from the MM dizzy with the expensive cap.
Some great information there just what i needed
Maybe this one was made for the uno 60 I think. The unit I actually fitted was not aftermarket but as supplied by fiat on an uno. As I recall it was a 1.1 version of the SOHC block which made it an easy swap.

If you can find one - might be better than aftermarket. Overall best of luck and hope it helps
Thanks again i found one for £120 as well did you run a vac advance cause mine doesnt and the new ones do and if i dont will i have to mess around with bobweights

Hi
Too radical?

Thinking about magnet marelli sm810gx any thoughts
Check to see what the availability and prices are for replacement parts (e.g. cap, rotor, etc). I don't know, but it might be a similar situation as your existing one? In general MM is much less common than Bosch so there will be a difference in getting stuff for them.

Check to see what the availability and prices are for replacement parts (e.g. cap, rotor, etc). I don't know, but it might be a similar situation as your existing one? In general MM is much less common than Bosch so there will be a difference in getting stuff for them.
Thanks again mate

We recently discussed that ignition system. It has not proven to be reliable and many people experienced failures. I would not recommend it.
Allison's would normally be thought of as one of the more knowledgeable, reliable experts on all-things-FIAT. But you ARE the Dr. :)
Be nice if it did work though....too bad it doesn't :(

Last edited:
Just happened to be on eurosports web site and it looks like they have the S135 dissy cap in stock. £22 so not a silly price. just FYI

Back