DIY pin stripe

Eastep

True Classic
I feel like my car is looking too plain and boring. I like the gaudy and tackyness of '70s, striping, that was offered, on our cars. Ive used off the shelf pinstripe tape, on vehicles, in the past; but never on an X1/9. Below are some mockup pics for visual reference. Im affraid this is my only option, unless someone has an NOS gold, brown or silver OE stripe kit, laying around??

Attachments

• 20170815_090103.jpg
    20170815_090103.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170815_090113.jpg
    20170815_090113.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170815_090124.jpg
    20170815_090124.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 92
I've toyed around with adding pinstriping to my restored 83. The silver repaint came out great (Mazda Liquid Silver Metallic P-38) but it might benefit from a bit of bling.
20160702_162520.jpg

I've looked at pinstriping at local auto parts stores and there seems to be a wide variety of choices - colors, dual stripes, etc. etc. Its guess its all very much a matter of personal preference. My only comment to your proposed striping is that I'm not sure I like the line going up the targa bar. I think I prefer the striping to follow the body line as it does on my 85 X:
20160727_182713.jpg

But, you know what they say about opinions! :)

Ed

My 1980 gold came with a thin double pinstripe that went along the top of the front fender and door then stepped up over the targa vent. The same double pinstripe started top edge rear fender forward stopping under the same vent before coming in contact with the forward stripes. It was a subtle detail and looked very nice IMO.
I just took the pinstripes off my '79 they were running the same pattern you show up and down the targa. It was pretty busy especially where it wrapped back around the targa vent...
Regards

Unfortunately I don't have pictures to show it, but my current X came with classic '70s-'80s pin striping.

The stripes were two tone, hand painted and very "stylistic". Lots of swooping lines and little curlicues all over the vehicle...even places like along the side and top edge of the windshield posts, around all of the handles/locks/fittings/lights, along every body line, over the hood and trunk, up the side pillars to the top, around the rear panel, and anywhere else you could possibly imagine. Whoever did the work sure was creative and extensive. And like I said, all of it was two-tone; every line was duplicated just below with the second color, often criss-crossing at the ends. The paint he used must have been good because not only did it last better than the factory paint on the body (car still had original paint), but it was a bitch to remove.

Unfortunately the car was a total "Barbie" car; light blue metallic with parchment interior, the bright pin stripping as described, chrome body line moldings, chrome rocker sill moldings, chrome trim around the wheel arches, chrome luggage rack, and a huge '80s Motorola cell-phone hard mounted inside (with the cell antenna through the trunk lid, massive black boxes in the spare tire well - no spare - and big data cables running everywhere to connect all of it). And I won't mention some of the items I found inside the car, gotta love the '80s...good times. But not as good as the '70s (however like they say, if you remember the '70s you weren't there)!

Let us know what you decide to do. Consider the possibility of getting the stripes hand painted instead of tape. I've noticed with the huge influx of pin strippers created by the whole '50s revival (rat rods and the like), that the prices to get it done have dropped to reasonable rates (at least on the west coast...not sure elsewhere). I see them looking for business at all of the cars shows, swap meets, etc.

IMO plain and boring is great :D - the lines of the earlier car without all the nasty plastic trim on the doors, etc., look really good as the are.

Adding striping is going to be difficult to get a clean accent to the existing lines - going up around the targa bar is going to look off, IMO.

On the the other hand, it's easy enough to remove it - if you don't leave it on too long, so what the heck - give it a try :D

Unfortunately I don't have pictures to show it, but my current X came with classic '70s-'80s pin striping.

Take some pics, please - that sounds like an absolute nightmare :D

EDIT - missed this line "...but it was a bitch to remove." :(

the lines of the earlier car without all the nasty plastic trim on the doors, etc., look really good as the are
Agree about the lack of body side moldings, fender lip trim, lower rocker cover plates/molding, luggage racks, etc. makes for a nice clean look. And speaking personally, I will add to that the lack of big bumpers...anything more than either no bumpers or the early Euro two-piece small bumpers. That is why I have been working to remove all of that (and the custom stripes) from the "Barbie car". But removing it leaves a lot of holes and other damage to repair. However I am doing considerable custom mods and a full re-color anyway so it just adds to the list.

With that being said, I will say that I think pin stripes can be an enhancement if executed tastefully and cleanly. I definitely say you should give it a try.

Back