Diy wing. Too high?

autox19

True Classic
Been working on a rear wing. I could have bought one but wanted yet another project. Fiberglass has been ordered so i started working on the riser. The first attempt i think is too high. It looks to be a couple inches higher than the car. This would impeed going under parking gates.
Opinions on if i shoould lower it. And if so, how far.
This is NOT really performance based. And i really like the winged look.

Odie

Attachments

• 20190817_122519.jpg
    20190817_122519.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20190817_122605.jpg
    20190817_122605.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190817_122522.jpg
    20190817_122522.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 157
I would look at some of the older race cars that looked really cool and figure out how high they were...

Wow Odie, that's a huge wing. Hope your not 'compensating' for something. :D

Naturally the right answer is to make it however you want, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. But since you asked, I'd think it's tallest point (including end plates or any other part) should not be any higher than the top of the roof, maybe even a little lower....aesthetically speaking.

Does the height of the Dallara wing give any visual help for you?

75bertone_fiat_x1-9_dallara.jpg

Here's an example of one that seems close to what you are making I think (the camera angle is off, so the perspective is as well):

X19 race car - Copy.jpg

I think this one is even bigger than yours, but still looks to be lower than the roof line:

ZOLDER100821991195790157.jpg

I will be making a rear spoiler along the lines of a duck-tail type (vs a wing), but a simpler flat plane one like the current trend with many track cars. And the same question came to mind; how big/high to make it. It would be easier to cut it shorter than to add to make it taller (at least for the type I'll be doing). So maybe start at your maximum height and go down later if needed (if that is easy to do with your design)?

Higher Odie, higher!!! :eek:

fiat_x19_custom_05.jpg fiat_x19_custom_01.jpg fiat_x19_custom_02.jpg

What is it with Michigan boys and their Wings!?!?! :p
red wings.jpg
The old Dallara sketch seems to show the wing slightly below the roof line.
icsunonove_sketch.jpg

Bob Martin's Dallara X has a wing on it that might be close to the height you have. The car was on a slight incline, so again it could be the angle.
20130803_123407.jpg 20130803_123302.jpg 20130803_123343.jpg

This blue Dallara's wing looks pretty low unless it is just the angle of the photo.
icsunonove.jpg

Really Odie, if you like it where it is and it makes you smile like this :D, I say roll with it.

You guys confirmed it. Too high. And yes going for a pseudo dallara except wider.

Well up until a few years ago da wings were the only playoff reliable pro team we had. Now? Not so much.

Odie

Ok. Because i dont have the ends mocked up yet. I guessed and lowered it 3 inches. Much better imo

Odie
20190817_163235.jpg
20190817_163154.jpg

Next question is: Does it block your view?
Ummmm. Yeah.... that would have been a good thing to check. Countach didnt have a rear view! I closed up shop for tonight. Will have to check tomorrow. Maybe a "wing cam" back up camera in the wing if there are issues...

Odie

If you still could see behind, maybe a couple of snorkel could solve that.

And if you need them, I could forward you a couple of Montréal Canadian's stickers. They will be on sale mid-winter when it's going to be clear the Stanley cup is not on the 2019-2020 agenda for us.

I bet you had a heck of a deal for the wings logo! :rolleyes:

Odie, I saw a classic "exotic" that reminded me of your wing design ideas. And it has a couple of other elements that might interest you as well. Take a look at not only the rear wing size/location/proportion, but also the front one (not the best picture of the front, but this version was very rare and there aren't many pics of it to be found):

ebay390158.jpg

I also think these wheels would look great on an X1/9. They are 15" (best size for an X in my opinion) and with BIG fender flares you might be able to actually fit them. However it would be very expensive to get ahold of a set. I wonder if there have been any knock-offs in this style?

Odie, I saw a classic "exotic" that reminded me of your wing design ideas. And it has a couple of other elements that might interest you as well. Take a look at not only the rear wing size/location/proportion, but also the front one (not the best picture of the front, but this version was very rare and there aren't many pics of it to be found):

View attachment 24289

I also think these wheels would look great on an X1/9. They are 15" (best size for an X in my opinion) and with BIG fender flares you might be able to actually fit them. However it would be very expensive to get ahold of a set. I wonder if there have been any knock-offs in this style?
Watch the intro to cannonball run. The front wing is on that one as well. Funny you mention this. My first wing shape i started on was the pointed one like the lambo. The angle was the same as the front of the X.
Never looked for knock off lambo wheels. Gives me something to do today!

Odie

Back