Does anyone know this X1/9?

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
I met this wonderful gentleman and he stated his X1/9 is made for racing. His engine was very different. I only saw it for short moment and then he parked off the field. Looks like a wonderful vehicular and he had a lot of history with Fiat and the X1/9.
He stated his X1/9 had about 350hp and it really sounded like it did. Very deep bellow from the exhaust. I hope he joins our form and we get to know him more.
Mike
14F0AC1A-8861-4CF2-B8AB-F6B5D54A8DB9.jpeg
F662E616-8A1D-4884-98B8-2A674F48D331.jpeg

I like the way the wheels/tires fit the fender arches. ;)

Also noticed he ditched the woman in the passenger seat as he went around the corner, between the two photos. :D

I've met him a few times. I have a picture of his X on my wall as inspiration. He's running a Dodge Shelby GLH turbo motor.

I'd have to look back through my posts to recall his name. He has a long history with Fiat, and was involved in racing and etc. He has done the lions share of work on his car himself. It is a real beasty.

His name is Alan Arnold. Super guy! His car is indeed very fast. His swap is the one I am repeating.

His name is Alan Arnold. Met him at Fiat Freak out in 2012. He was still working out the kinks then. Beautiful car. You really need to see the custom dash and interior. A wealth of knowledge on the X1/9. Was a Fiat Factory rally driver back in the day............

DSCN4098.JPG

His name is Alan Arnold. Met him at Fiat Freak out in 2012. He was still working out the kinks then. Beautiful car. You really need to see the custom dash and interior. A wealth of knowledge on the X1/9. Was a Fiat Factory rally driver back in the day............

View attachment 25827
I saw the dash and it was very different. He said he might pull all the digital stuff out because with the top off the sun makes it hard to read them. Fantastic guy and I really enjoyed talking to him. I tried to talk him into joining the forum. We will see. I just remembered that I have his card so I will the link and my contact. I was so tired I forgot a lot from yesterday. Very hot and humid and outside the whole time.
Wished he was in the show. He parked outside so I couldn’t get to his car for more pics. Plus, Gary had my phone for a good part of the show.
Mike
Mike

His engine and tranny is out of a Dodge Caravan turbo. His gauges are difficult to read in the sun because of the tinted faces, but look amazing at night.

Our first mini van was the turbo and I think it was rated at 150hp. Took it in for some work once and the car came out of the shop wanting to do burnouts at every light pullaway and mentioned to my wife that the van seemed silly quicker. Reluctantly I took the car back to the dealer and they said some vacuum line had not been reconnected....the van was no longer silly fast.

It took me almost a full day. Apparently I did sign-up once, lost my password and couldn't get past sending a new one. I failed the robot test. I'm stuck in the 60's. I think I'm still educable. I will spend some time tonight exploring the site. Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Alan. I think I remember from FFO 2012 you were having problems keeping the engine cool. Did you figure out the cooling?

Last edited:
I was going to ask about the cooling given the lack of obvious vents on the body work, welcome to the forum!

The engine uses two fans and an X1/9 radiator with an extra row. The water pump is a Davis-Craig electric with no thermostat. The pump varies speed with the needs of the engine. Fans use the stock thermo switch for operation. The engine is running reverse flow cooling. Temp stays at around 200. When stopped, the fans and water pump can run for cool-down. Thought I would include a shot of the front brakes. They are ventilated Turbo Uno Discs and calipers. Thanks again for the welcome.
Almost forgot, the engine is from a Caravan. Heavier duty half-shafts and trans-axle. It is a 555 trans. I will put some pictures of the engine build soon.

The engine uses two fans and an X1/9 radiator with an extra row. The water pump is a Davis-Craig electric with no thermostat. The pump varies speed with the needs of the engine. Fans use the stock thermo switch for operation. The engine is running reverse flow cooling. Temp stays at around 200. When stopped, the fans and water pump can run for cool-down. Thought I would include a shot of the front brakes. They are ventilated Turbo Uno Discs and calipers. Thanks again for the welcome.
Almost forgot, the engine is from a Caravan. Heavier duty half-shafts and trans-axle. It is a 555 trans. I will put some pictures of the engine build soon.
Allen,
Welcome!!! It was wonderful to meet you at the show. Can’t wait to pic your mind when it comes to repairs to my (Gary’s) X1/9.
Glad you are here.
Mike

Back