Does anyone sell LED lights for DASH?

as the the "theory" is that Electrons move from the - plate to the + plate INSIDE the source or battery... giving the + terminal an abundance of electrons, or MORE than the - terminal, and these little boogers are trying to stabilize or go home from whence they came.

If the battery is left alone for long periods of time... the electrons will eventually go back from whence they came or simply die off.

Give them a chance to flee the + plates and terminal via an external source... like wiring through a switch and then through the element of a light bulb and then more wiring to the chassis and then back to the negative terminal of the battery... they'll take the long way around just to get home!

TA-DAAAAA!

Maybe this is why Chrysler for many years wired their batteries in their cars with + to ground and the - to the fuse box... Thinking electrons flow from - to + OUTSIDE the source.

I guess it really doesn't matter but ya just gotta know what the engineers were thinking!
Yep good ol' Chrysler... love the left hand thread wheel studs on the left hand wheels so they would not loosen up on counterclockwise rotation of the left hand wheels. Sometimes engineers can be their own worst enemies.

Original answer to the question...

I installed these in my dash... They work

Go to amazon and search for these:

AGT Brand 4x 194 168 5-SMD Blue High Power LED Car Lights Bulb

They do not fit in the small socket holes... Just the large ones.

Original answer to the question...

I installed these in my dash... They work

Go to amazon and search for these:

AGT Brand 4x 194 168 5-SMD Blue High Power LED Car Lights Bulb

They do not fit in the small socket holes... Just the large ones.

Pros; no need to take the diffusers (plastic caps) out
Cons: brightness? better or worse then the 'bigger" ones referenced above? I tried some smaller ones once and was disappointed, these are different LEDs though, and they are pricey

They are bright enough.. Meaning better than they were. When I purchased about a year ago they were half this price... Not sure why the price went up...

Regardless, just providing as an option or choice. From there you can go many different directions...

saw a picture when looking at LED switches that showed my white faced gauges with big cluster LEDs, nice and bright, BTW in that thread I found a reference I made to smaller LEDs like mentioned but they still didn't fit under the diffusers, these might, might not though.
http://xwebforums.org/showpost.php?p=211309&postcount=8
bringing back an old thread.

I found the reason my Oil pressure light wasn't working, failed bulb. I replaced the holder with the brake light as its not important yet. How do I remove the itty bitty bulbs from their sockets? This is to replace the small bulbs in the dash. What bulb size are they?

What have people been happy with for LED replacements? I cant seem to get the bulb out to see if its a wedge type or what to know how it compares to the links posted in this thread.

What have people been happy with for LED replacements?
This topic was a hot one a couple years ago, lots of discussion about converting lights to LED's (dash, console, and all others on the car). In general everyone that performed it seemed very happy with it, regardless of the particular selection of specific lights. I've done it on other vehicles from the same era but not my X's yet...but I will eventually.

I recall there were some differences between years and bulb types? Some dashes have smaller and larger size bulbs? I know some have the fiber optic system, and for that it seemed there were two options - retain the fiber optic and replace only the source bulb with a single LED, or eliminate the fiber optic and modify everything to install individual LED's in each location? And the "dimmer" came in two varieties; one that will dim LED's and one that won't (I have a link about that below). The 'flasher' issue has been covered (link below also). But I do not have any good links to details on the other topics I mentioned, anyone have more info handy?

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....ster-light-switch-panel-light-rheostat.34614/

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-turn-signal-flasher-relay.36037/#post-313278

one thing to keep in mind.. the Red light for the alt. needs to stay inconsistent. (Alt used the current flow through the bulb to turn on the Alt)

Good point. I know there are some alt's that do not need a "exciter" trigger wire (from a regular dash bulb for the load). But I believe all of the ones that came on X's do. However I've never had a M.M. alt to know for sure about that one.

All clusters made, whether US or EU, whatever year, either 1974 or 1988 all use the same cluster setup. Some use Battery indicator, some use Oil pressure.
But the harness that's wired to the cluster adapts to the connections on the back of the cluster regardless of the year. For EU, you might have to move the wire
on the back of the Tacho to accommodate the US seat belt or Driving light function. That's why the wire is movable on the back of the cluster.
ANY cluster is interchangeable for an X1/9. There are 2 lamp types in the X1/9 cluster; #74 wheat lamp and type #194/168 lamp.
Any LED replacement for these should work if installed in the proper orientation. If you remove the (blue or amber) caps that seal the cluster behind
the larger lamps, you can use more powerful alternatives. No trade secrets here. :)

I completed my order for LEDs throughout the vehicle. May as well pay for shipping once... I hope. I also got the red flasher as posted in multiple threads.

One of my big issues that got me searching this thread was finding the small #74 bulb type. I simply couldn't get the bulb out of the socket with all the pulling i could muster. A little bit of WD40 followed by brake clean for grip and it came loose.

ANY cluster is interchangeable for an X1/9. There are 2 lamp types in the X1/9 cluster; #74 wheat lamp and type #194/168 lamp.
Any LED replacement for these should work if installed in the proper orientation. If you remove the (blue or amber) caps that seal the cluster behind
the larger lamps, you can use more powerful alternatives. No trade secrets here.
Thanks Bob. Not sure what I was recalling as different styles, perhaps the two bulb sizes/types. And I guess it is for the center console, dash switches, etc, that the fiber optic system can be modified to LED - either single or individual.

Inconsistent, you say. Another win for auto correct.:)

So right you are!!

When I did LED on my dash I went to the local truck stop with an old bulb in hand, and found replacements, probably spent more then I should. I need to not do impule things like that, But I am happy with the dash now!

with an old bulb in hand, and found replacements
That's really not a bad idea. I've found that some bulb types go by different names/identifiers at times. I think part of it has to do with US vs international standards. But there may also be slight variations between them that do not matter in this case (they will fit and work despite being marginally different). Or maybe it refers to an older listing vs the 'modern' equivalent. In still other cases the base might be the same but the 'bulb' portion will differ in size/shape. Regardless, the point is sometimes it could get a bit difficult to know if you are getting the right ones. Having them in front of you helps to see if they will fit. However the information given earlier, with specific bulb types for this application, should make things much easier though...you can order them by those names and get what you need.

Back