Does the frame rail need to be modified for a 2L install?

Ulix

True Classic
Hi,

a guy over here in Germany has a 1300 X that supposedly used to have a DOHC (maybe only 1600 cc) installed.
Now he is trying to install a DOHC drivetrain, but the tranny is hitting the frame rail (almost 1" of interference).
Any experience out there? (Note: it is a 1300 which has a different frame rail as the 1500)

Thanks, Ulix

Here was the picture from Angelo's thread.

n637862805_485507_4551.jpg

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/485/

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of this may or may not apply to the 1300. From everything I read and all the pictures I studied, you pretty much have a choice on which side to cut. Or at least which gets cut most. I remember Pottsy noting that the Farrans cut the right side, but needed axles to be modified to suit. Steve C centered the drive train by using 2 short axles from the X on either side of the Beta using the intermediate axle, and cutting the left. I went that route. Mind you, I still had to cut the right for waterpump pulley clearence as I don't have access to the low profile pump from a Regatta 105(?). You can see what I mean on the right. I notched the rail by 1". Probaby 3/8" more than I needed. As for the left side, I built in a lot of clearance. Who knows, I ended up cutting in places I didn't expect to.

100_2250.jpg

This is the cut to the LH side rear chassis rail that I made to the X19 race car, one showing the dummy engine fit up in the chassis, and the last is some detail of the water pump cam end mount ....note no chassis mod to the RH rear rail.

Note how ALL the engine weight is forward of the rear suspension tower and how NO bodywork (except the LH chassis rail) was altered in anyway to allow engine/transmission fitment.

Water pump that allows much easier fitment is from a regata 100s / ritmo 105tc etc etc (fiat P/N 7574887) as this has the engine mount for the cam end bolted to the pump body.

SteveC

Back