"Dog-bone" [engine torque strut] rebuild...updated with new content

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I know this has been addressed a few times in the past, but I did not find any documentation of the procedure nor photos of the results (I apologize if someone else has documented this already). So I'll add what I did here:

Prior posts have suggested a few alternatives for replacement bushings to rebuild the original "dog-bone" engine mount/torque strut. Basically the goal is to remove the old worn rubber bushings from the round metal ends of the dog-bone and replace them with bushings from other applications. These options tended to fall under one of two techniques; 1) cut the metal 'lip' (rounded edge) off the dog-bone's ends to allow a full-size bushing to be inserted, or 2) leave the metal lip in place, remove only the center portion of the old rubber bushing, and use an undersized replacement bushing. Neither of these appealed to me. I wanted to see if a full size replacement bush of some sort could be installed without any cutting to the original dog-bone.

Although there may be even better bushing options out there, I decided to work with one that has already been used for this application but required the ends of the dog-bone to be cut (on previous installations). This bushing is part of a transmission/engine support for 1955-57 Chevy's (e.g. model BelAir or 210). It is a solid rubber "hockey puck" with a hole in the center, commonly referred by a generic part number "2123" (note it is NOT "2122", which looks close but the wrong size). Go to any parts source and search that number (2123) and it should come up. If not, try searching by the year and model. AutoZone lists them for $4 each:
https://www.autozone.com/external-e...4237_0_0?fromString=search&make=&model=&year=
You will need two, one for each end...total $8 for a rebuilt mount that is likely better than a new Fiat one (as we will see).

There are differences between the original bushing and this replacement item. The old one is wider and has a "hour-glass" shape to it. The new one has a slightly larger diameter and the center hole is too small for the original steel sleeve (for the mounting bolt). Also the new one is solid while the original has large recesses/voids on the sides and outer circumfrence. I was concerned these differences would make this bushing a poor choice, but as we will see that was not the case. The differences between them can be seen here:
002.JPG

003.JPG

The center hole of the new bushing must be drilled out to accommodate fitting the steel sleeve. Although the sleeve measures the equivalent to a 11/16" drill bit, I found a 3/4" bit worked better (the rubber tends to push away from the bit when drilling, resulting in a smaller hole). The rubber is very easy to drill, but don't get too aggressive or it may 'tear' rather than 'cut' the larger hole. [EDIT: Scroll down to my later post to see a photo of drilling out the center hole in the bushing]. The original center sleeve will now fit (but do not insert it yet). The new bushing is ready to be installed (easy enough so far):
004.JPG

Removing the old bushing was not difficult (sorry, no photos of this step). Press out the center metal sleeve using either a hydraulic press or large bench vice, and some large sockets as spacers. [EDIT: In a later post below is a photo showing how to install the steel sleeve into the new bushing, it is the same technique used to remove the sleeve from the old bushing]. Then remove the old rubber by prying it out with screwdrivers, etc., collapsing it toward the center hole to pull it away from the housing's lip edge. If necessary it can be made easier to remove by drilling out the majority of it with a hole saw first (after the steel sleeve is removed).
The empty dog-bone end will now look like this (undamaged):
006.JPG

The next step is to insert the new bushing into the dog-bone. Recall that it is larger in diameter than the original one, and solid, and the rounded metal lips are still on the ends of the 'bone'. Looks like there is no way to get it in there:
008.JPG

With the steel sleeve removed, the center hole in the bushing allows the rubber to be squeezed together from the sides, flattening the center hole, and making the bushing "oval" rather than round. I did this by smashing it in the vice. Squeezing it together in the direction of the red arrows:
010.JPG

This allows the metal housing to be pushed over the bushing (sideways) in the direction of the blue arrow (below). Continue working the bushing into the housing (still sideways) until it is as far as it will go. Not very difficult to do:
009.JPG

Then work the bushing around (rotate it to one side) to get it in a proper "upright" position inside the dog-bone's end. [EDIT: See the later post below for several additional pictures detailing this portion of the installation procedure]. This was a bit of a struggle. I used screwdrivers as levers, a large drift and hammer to 'wiggle' the rubber edges in, and the large sockets and vice to press the bushing from both sides. [EDIT: The second bushing was much easier and only a couple tools were used, see the later post below]. But no damage occurred to the rubber bush nor the metal housing. Clamping the 'bone' in the vice while working the bushing, plus some spray lube, helped to move it around. Eventually it was seated into the dog-bone and I was surprised to find how much better it fits than expected. Although the new bushing was narrower initially, once it gets "squeezed" into the metal bore the sides are pushed outwards (making the bushing 'fatter'). This 'squeeze fit' also keeps it firmly in place; I had to use the press/vice repeatedly to center it. Note the rubber bushing was never 'ground down' to allow easier installation. Although it makes for a little extra effort to get it in, it also makes for a better fit once it is in place.

The steel sleeve can now be pushed into the center hole. [EDIT: See the later post below for more photos]. The hydraulic press or vice makes this easy. Its tight positioning into the hole creates additional pressure to the outside diameter of the bushing, making the fit even more secure:
007.JPG

The marks visible on the sides of the rubber were from the sockets pressing into it during installation; they eventually disappeared as the rubber relaxed.

The solid rubber design of the new bushing (compared to the relieved recesses in the sides and circumference of the old one) makes it firmer and I believe much more durable than the original. The listing for this part describes it as a mix of natural and synthetic rubbers and it is designed to support a cast-iron V8 engine. So it should last along time in the X1/9.
The fact that the new bushing is still slightly narrower than old one also helps to allow slight "axial movement" of the sleeve if needed (this was accomplished by the added 'give' of the recesses/voids and hour-glass shape in the original design). Basically what I am saying is the slightly narrower profile is offset by the firmer sold design:
001.JPG

[The above photo was taken at an angle, making the new "un-installed" bush appear much larger in diameter than the new "installed" bush. But that is not the case; refer to the comparison photos at the beginning of this post]
Note the large recessed "voids" of the original bushing compared to the solid design of the new one. The new bushing is made of rubber so it still offers plenty of vibration absorption, which poly bushings do not (it's been recommended NOT to install poly bushings on both ends of the dog-bone due to excessive transmission of vibration). I believe this rebuilt unit is actually better than a new original Fiat part; it should last much longer, and allow less unwanted 'torque' movement (which otherwise reduces the responsiveness of the engine), while still absorbing vibration/noise to keep things livable.

Unfortunately my X is currently in the process of getting prepared to go back on the road. So I cannot report on the "feel" of this rebuilt mount until later on. But my initial impressions of the result are much greater than I expected. If a slightly wider rubber bushing could be sourced it might be even better, but it will also be that much harder to install (I think this one was about the limit without cutting anything). I am considering the addition of a large nylon 'washer' on each side (next to the exposed rubber wall of the bush) around the center steel sleeve...to act as a spacer and fill-in any gap between the mount and the frame's mounting tabs. But this was something I thought to do with the stock original mount bushings as well. Although I don't think it will be necessary (as it is on the "snail mount" due to its tendency to move laterally).

As you can see I did not take the time to refinish the dog-bone in these photos. This was merely an initial test to see if it would work. Next I will go back and make everything look nice before installing it. I'll edit this later if I think of anything I left out or if I take additional photos. Please ask questions or make comments. Thanks

Last edited:
thanks for sharing that. For 8 bucks & considering the fact I have a DOA dogbone that came with my '85 (replaced with "racer" solid aluminum block) still sitting on in my workshop means it's worth a try. I was considering making bushings w/ some sort of poly 'kit' (documented here rather well a year or so ago?), but this is fine. I guess anything will seem a bit 'loose' compared to the solid block on the '85, right?

a lot like turning a baby to avoid a breach birth
Complete with pry-bars, hammer, and large vice. ;)

It was a bit of a struggle but honestly not as difficult as I would have imagined. On the first attempt I wasn't decided how I should go about it so I wasted time trying various things. But once I accomplished it things weren't so bad. However having a hydraulic press or very large vice will help considerably. The final outcome won't be decided until I have a chance to try it for awhile.

Great job and great documentation!
Please let us know when you have driven around with it installed.
Your feedback regarding responsiveness and vibration transmission will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great write up Jeff. Makes me wish I hadn't bought a replacement dogbone last year. Oh well, I saved the old one, so I can try this in the future.

Your feedback regarding responsiveness and vibration transmission will be greatly appreciated.

Makes me wish I hadn't bought a replacement dogbone last year. Oh well, I saved the old one, so I can try this in the future.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Honestly I may not be able to offer a direct "back-to-back" comparison between the stock part and this rebuilt one, for a couple reasons. First, my old one had worn/tired rubbers so any comparison to it would not be the same as to a new stock mount. Second (and more to the point), my X was not running when I got it and I am doing this upgrade as part of the prep to get it back on the road, so I have no road experience with the old mount in place to compare with (and it has been many years since I last drove any X). Therefore I really won't have a decent baseline to gauge against. But hopefully I will be able to notice if there are any obvious unwanted vibrations, etc.

Just looking at the old stock rubbers that came out of the strut, and comparing them to the new replacements, I do not expect these to have a "stock" feel. They seem to be firmer and more robust, so I expect them to be a little less compliant than the stock rubbers. That will likely allow a little more vibration to be transmitted, but it will also allow less fore/aft engine movement which is very desirable. And they should last longer (not that the stock bushing have a short life, but at least one end of the strut seems to give up sooner than desired. So I anticipate this to be a good alternative for a road car, not too harsh and no too soft.

As I stated before, when I first received the new bushings and looked at them next to the stock strut I really did not think they would work. In fact I almost did not even try, but figured I had nothing to loose so long as I did not alter the stock strut's metal structure...if these new bushings would not work then I'd try others. Worst case scenario I buy a new stock Fiat mount and loose the $8 for the new bushings. But so far so good.

In the next day or two I will add some more details to the modification procedure that I am currently working on.

Very Cool! Thank you for your research. I used Volvo control arm bushings in the one I had bought from Vic Auto - (the bushings they are supplied with tear within a few hundred miles in my experience). The Volvo bushes work, but transmits much vibration.

Those 2123 bushings (once a pn is available, options are available) are only .40-.50c on RockAuto, so I've ordered 4 to rebuild my original dogbone, and to make another spare with the other one I have from Vicks (also has torn bushings). Be interested to see how it feels by comparison.

Be interested to see how it feels by comparison.
Me to. You will likely have them in action before my X is back on the road so let us know what you experience.

Ya, RockAuto has great prices for generic stuff like this. But I've experienced a lot of errors with them, receiving incorrect parts (mostly due to wrong info on the site). In the past they offered good customer service for their mistakes, but now they have changed their policies and return format. This makes it very difficult to get things sorted.

Minor update:
These replacement bushings are a bit narrower than the originals and therefore do not extend the full length (width) of the center steel sleeve. Although the bushings are very firmly placed, in theory they could move from side to side due to their narrower width. So I played with the possibility of adding heavy-duty nylon spacers/washers to each side of the rubber bushing. The concept being they will help to keep everything centered by taking up the space left between the rubber and the ends of the steel sleeve. The back face of the nylon spacer rests directly against the rubber bushing and the front face would ride next to the X's frame tabs. I really don't think they will be necessary, but here is what it looks like:
050.JPG

051.JPG

A potential drawback to this is the nylon washer may restrict movement of the rubber in other directions also (like the forward/reward movement of the engine). I doubt I'll use them.

Minor update:.

A potential drawback to this is the nylon washer may restrict movement of the rubber in other directions also (like the forward/reward movement of the engine). I doubt I'll use them.

I think I would cut the new bush in half and add a spacer shim/washer in the center. That way it won’t interfere with potentially restrictive bushing compliance, and will allow a little lateral flex imitating the design of the original, no?

Would also make it easier to install

I'm trying to get my arms around how much you'd end up with a sort of twisting force on the dogbone & how much it would matter.

I'm trying to get my arms around how much you'd end up with a sort of twisting force on the dogbone & how much it would matter.
I agree, that's why I am inclined NOT to use the added spacers. The reason these spacers even came to mind is looking at the stock "snail mount" bushing on my X. That one has migrated completely over to one side of the mount and the metal (aluminum) housing is resting directly against the frame's mounting tab. Granted this is a completely different style mount and the loads are at completely different directions, so there should not be any comparison.

I think I would cut the new bush in half and add a spacer shim/washer in the center.
That is a thought, when you work on this let me know what happens. However I'm a little reluctant that it will work after my experience fooling around with them but I did not try so I could certainly be wrong, so please try. I did look to see if two of these bushings could be installed side-by-side, but they are not nearly that narrow so no way. Another consideration was that the stock bushing has something of a nose extending out to either side, reaching a little further toward the ends of the center steel sleeve. So making the middle of the new bushing wider won't address that directly, but honestly I don't think it needs to be addressed. For that matter, as you will see the new bushings really aren't that much narrower than the round metal housing they fit into once they get squeezed in there...so as I stated I don't think it is necessary to do anything more than use them as is. Perhaps it will be best to run them for awhile and see how it goes. Then any changes can be addressed if necessary.

By the way, I'll repeat that the use of these particular rubber bushings as replacements for the dog-bone was not my idea. So I am not trying to take any credit for it. I merely wanted to see if they could be used without altering the stock metal housing (as I understood, prior attempts to use them was accomplished by cutting the edge off the housing). I also read that they had to be shaved-down in diameter to get then into the housing, something else I wanted to avoid in order to get the tightest fit possible. I think by not reducing the outside diameter it causes them to be compressed (circumferentialy) which also causes them to be wider once in position.

I'm now considering these same rubber pieces to use in the front suspension's trailing arms (torque struts, radius arms, whatever). As memory serves the rubber bushings at the front ends of them are about the same dimension. And I should address those on my X anyway. The stock ones are available (unlike the bushings for the dog-bone), but I'd just like to see what else can be accomplished; these may turn out to be something of a up-grade if they are a little firmer/more robust than the stock items (as they are in the dog-bone application).

Last edited:
The missing chapter.
In my original post I did not have photos to go along with some aspects of the install procedure. So today when I installed the second bushing (other end of the bone) I took a few more shots to add. These really need to be inserted into the first post, but I'll put a notation there to reference this.

First, drilling out the center hole in the rubber bushing. This is much easier to do before installing it, and the larger hole allows more "squeezing" to get it into the housing. I used a large metal washer to help secure the bushing onto my drill press. Keeps it from getting off center or squirming around as you drill:
054.JPG

Now on to the install. Earlier I showed how I squeezed the bushing flat and shoved it into the metal housing sideways. When you do that, it will end up looking like this:
052.JPG

Now push it further into the housing to get it about equal on both sides. A large hollow spacer behind it allows the other end of the bushing to travel further through. The socket supports the metal housing but allows the rubber to go past:
055.JPG

It is time to start turning it from sideways to upright. As "Special K" said, like turning a breech baby. Using some spray lube and a blunt tool (I used an old screwdriver with a large flat blade), and start pushing, prying, wedging, levering, whatever to get the edge of the rubber under the metal housing's curved lip. It actually goes quite easily. Here is one side with the edge worked under the lip:
058.JPG

Now go to the other side and do the same, but on the opposite end of the bushing (above we worked the 'top' edge under, so below we will work the 'bottom' edge):
057.JPG

From here just continue working the baby further into an upright position. I used some sockets as spacers in the vice to 'press' the sides in. You will have to work it from both sides, going back and forth until it sits upright:
059.JPG

A successful delivery, congratulations. [Karl, looks like its a girl]:
062.JPG

Next we need to install the center steel sleeve. This is what the mounting bolt goes through and needs to be centered into the rubber bushing:
064.JPG

To get it fully centered you will need to use a large spacer on the back side (to support the bushing) and a smaller one on the sleeve (to drive it):
066.JPG

And here it is, all finished. [Look Karl, now its a boy!] This shot also gives a better perspective of the width of the rubber bushing compared to the metal housing (the rubber is centered into the housing in this photo) and compared to the steel sleeve (also centered here):
068.JPG

Maybe 3/16" from the side wall of the rubber bushing to the inner edge of the metal housing, on each side. Should be good as is I think.

Just to add a couple final thoughts.

While playing around with the first attempt at this, I damaged one of the rubber bushings while drilling out the center hole. It was not well supported on the drill press and I fed the bit too quickly into the rubber, causing it to catch and tear a chunk out. So I purchased another bushing locally (the first two were purchased online). The additional bushing is from a different manufacturer and there is a minor difference; the rubber in the latest one feels slightly softer compared to the first pair. And actually it was easier to install. I'm not sure if that is due to the difference in material or just because I knew what I was doing this time. But I only used the vice, one screwdriver, and the couple sockets shown in the photos...no additional tools/equipment were required for the second end. Very easy, anyone can do it.

Here is one more photo showing the entire bone after both ends have been replaced. Upon close inspection the second end came out looking a little nicer, mostly because I was experimenting with various techniques on the first end, but both are fine. Also, there was some existing damage (marring) on various aspects of the metal housing and center steel sleeve. It thought about refinishing everything prior to installing the bushings (remove the existing marks, blast and paint it), but the new finish would get damaged during the installation procedure. So now I will clean it up and repaint it by masking off the bushings.
070.JPG

I think I'm going to insert the bushings, then drill. That way there are no issues retaining the bush whilst drilling. I would say then the hole can be drilled slightly smaller ID (to unsure snug fit of the centre sleeve), since that effect is achieved otherwise by the compression of the bushing in the mount, no? Or did you drill them undersize to begin with? If you tried that, did it spin in the housing? I know you said it's much easier to drill it first, however I'm not seeing why that would be the case.

Give it a try. I found it easier to drill first mostly because this created a larger hole (open space) to collapse the bushing into while inserting it into the housing (offering a little more working room to get it positioned). But you might be able to insert it with the smaller original hole (I did not try that). Also to me it seemed like it would be easier to secure the bushing flat against my drill-press table while it was not installed, but again that may not be the case for you.

A 3/4" drill bit would give a slightly larger hole than the steel sleeve IF it cut a true 3/4" hole in the rubber bushing. However it does not. The rubber tends to deform away from the bit slightly as the bit is fed through it (the surrounding rubber compresses slightly as the bit pushes into it). So the resulting hole turns out to be slightly smaller than the sleeve. I found that by trial and error; I first tried drilling it the exact size of the sleeve and it came out too small of a hole to get the sleeve into. And the hole becomes even smaller once the bushing is installed into the housing (due to compression of the bushing); even with the hole drilled using a 3/4" bit, the sleeve had to be pressed into the bushing. And it is very difficult to move the sleeve once inserted. To get it centered into the bushing I had to use a lot of force with the press (vice and spacers). So I do not see any issue with it moving about while in service. But as it is with many things, the tighter the better.

I seem to recall you bought extras (and they are cheap) so experiment with it. I ruined one by getting careless when drilling but no big loss. I might even go back and redo the first one I did, only because it got a tad marred while trying different approaches to installing it. The second one went so much smoother (once I figured out the best method) and it looks better.

I picked up some more of these bushings and some of the similar smaller ones (P/N: 2122). The smaller ones are actually part of the same engine/transmission mount assembly as the larger ones (one is located below the mount and the other above the mount). So they have the same ID (hole) and same thickness (width) but a smaller OD. I am going to experiment with using one or both of these sizes for replacement suspension bushings on the front trailing arms (brake torque rods). The more I play with them the more ideas I get for other uses, they are pretty cool...a good combination of firm yet compliant rubber that is durable and a simple round shape to work with.

Please be sure to post your thoughts as you fiddle with them.

Initial observation - the compound quality varies significantly from piece to piece :( Two of the four I bought split around the center when compressed for insertion.

I got them in without a press, simply pushed them in using your method (much silicone spray), then used a screwdriver & the vice to pivot them in the casing. Now I need to locate the proper drill bit :)

FE9_F1700-_B5_D1-4375-_B3_C8-_D36_E30418_AB5.jpg

A44_D2_ADF-_B186-440_D-9065-35_C68_CC22_B3_D.jpg

Last edited:
Two of the four I bought split around the center when compressed for insertion.
I wonder if not drilling out the center hole prior to insertion into the housing led to the splitting? Seems you would have to really crush them pretty hard without the added open space (as a larger hole would allow). But I'm just speculating.

I've purchased them from two different sources and as you say they vary in compounds between manufacturers. I have no way of really knowing if this will matter but I doubt it...basically it's just something to hold the strut in place.

Yours looks good, nice job. A little less work than modifying the Volvo bushing? I'll be very curious to hear your impression in comparison to the others you've tried.

I wonder if not drilling out the center hole prior to insertion into the housing led to the splitting? Seems you would have to really crush them pretty hard without the added open space (as a larger hole would allow). But I'm just speculating.

Not related to the cracking, but to the grabbing during drilling: there are times where I have found it helpful to freeze the rubber before machining it.

Paul

I have a little feedback on the application of these "solid rubber" replacement inserts for the dog-bone torque strut.

I finally got the carb'ed '79 running (sort of) again. The 'rebuilt' dog-bone is on this X so I was able to get some idea of how it responds. First let me describe the conditions of this comparison. The engine runs but it isn't running properly; the carb is junk and the distributor won't advance so it idles very rough and only accelerates to about 3000 RPM with a lot of stumbling. Therefore the engine has a LOT more vibration than a correctly running one. Also the 'snail mount' and the lower main support mount are completely shot, so every bit of engine vibration is transmitted into the body. My evaluation is purely subjective and based only on visual and sound inputs (I'm not able to really drive it running this way).

As a means of scoring the dog-bone inserts I'll make up a scale for comparison. Lets say a new stock dog-bone absorbs 90% of vibration. A completely solid (metal on metal) mount would absorb 0% of vibration. And a dog-bone with urethane inserts might absorb 20% of vibration. I'd estimate that these rubber replacements absorb 75% of vibration. So they are a bit stiffer than stock but still very compliant...more so than I imagined they would be. And there seems to be no indication of side to side movement or other displacement, which I was a little concerned about due to the inserts being narrower than the stock ones. Even with some fairly severe 'bucking' of the engine the dog-bone remained very stable. And this is with a very abnormally rough engine and the other mounts are bad, so it should be much better once everything is running properly. Also these rubber inserts (in the test dog-bone) are brand new and should relax a little with use, allowing better absorption of vibration.

Overall I am very surprised how well they seem to be working. Especially considering how inexpensive they are and how easy they were to install. Eventually I will be able to offer some road testing results with a properly running engine and decent snail and lower mounts in place. And I have a new stock dog-bone on hand to do some back to back comparisons with.

Back