"Dog-bone" [engine torque strut] rebuild...updated with new content

Here's how I do it...

I use an SPF020 bush. This is the GREY bush shown in the pic. SPF021 is the green bush, the yellow and blue bushes are both spf155's but the yellow is old production, the blue is new production and duro 70 rated supplied with the steel sleeve.

I've done this a few times so it took maybe 20 minutes from start to finish including stopping and picking up my phone to take the pics.

SteveC

That looks good if it has some of the compliance found in a stock bushing. Nothing comes up searching for SPF020. Can you provide a source? Is SuperPro the supplier?

lol... lucky I had nice clear pics of both... yes you're correct ...typo on my part...SPF021 was the previously mentioned bush used by someones else, I use an SPF020...

SteveC

Thanks for all the info Steve. Where would I look to buy a "SPF020" bushing if I wanted one or two?

Actually I think the part number for a two bush kit is SPF2220K, I think the SPF020 bush is for the panhard rod, not the upper trailing arm bush (that's the SPF021) ... I'll have to dig out my old super pro listing to have a look at the listed dimensions...

but I'm sure that the part's available in the US.

SteveC

SPF021 was the previously mentioned bush used by someones else, I use an SPF020...
Looking at your pictures 0020 appears a little bigger than 0021, and should indeed be a much better fit based on what I read in the earlier comments by others. The 0021 bush was noted as being too small and required adhesive to retain it. I did not like that aspect of the project. But with 0020 being larger there appears to be no need for the adhesive, nice.

According to what I see on the SuperPro site, 0021 is a rear trailing arm bush for a 124, and 0020 is the same part for a 131 (contains four of the bushings). And 2220K come up as the panhard bar bush for a 124. So I think you had it correct the first time. Because the 131 was not sold much here (USA), that part number isn't readily available. But perhaps a suitable exchange part number can be found from a different company for the 131 application?

Regarding the Fiat 131 rear suspension arm bushing noted in lieu of the 124 rear bushing. I find the usual conflicting information and confusion that seems to surround old Fiat parts, but is it possibly the same part number as a 124 front suspension arm bushing? A couple of online sources list the same OEM part number for both applications. If indeed they are the same part then we (in the USA) should be able to find it here under the 124 listings.

Note that the bolts are 1/2 inch so the steel insert part is bigger too.
Thanks Paul. The 1/2" bolt size also explains how you found the thicker sleeve; much more common here than finding a metric replacement with the stock ID (bolt size). And steel sleeves in inch sizes are a hardware store item, so that shouldn't be difficult to get. I'll look into this as an upgrade to the dog bones that I have already installed the generic rubber disks into (as in the mod I outlined previously). The larger OD of the sleeve seems to make a big difference in how the rubber compresses and fills the housing, which should allow them to last longer.

for the 132, the 131 is a different part
And I might have misread that. Now that you say it, I think it did say 132 but now I'm not sure. I looked at several sources for several part numbers and applications to see what was what. So I'd have to go back through all of that to remember. Sorry to add even more confusion to the mix. :(

SPF020 is lower trailing arm for Fiat 131 up to about 1980/1981... when they changed the design of the lower bush again.

It's a cheap and cheerful, simple way to semi solid bush the upper torque rod, and for the X19 racer I'm building is an easy and useful modification.
20190614_140717.jpg

For a standard replacement rubber bush the 131 lower isn't suitable, in rubber it's a little too small to fit snugly.

There is a replacement bush from the Fiat parts bin...I can't buy new 4 speed top engine torque rods (Five speed ones are available new) and I don't like cutting and welding things if I can get away with not having to...so I re-condition / re-bush 4 speed items...here is one I prepared earlier :)
20190614_155008.jpg

SteveC

SPF020 is lower trailing arm for Fiat 131 up to about 1980/1981... when they changed the design of the lower bush again.

It's a cheap and cheerful, simple way to semi solid bush the upper torque rod, and for the X19 racer I'm building is an easy and useful modification.
SteveC

Steve, do you have a link for a vendor? Searching that comes up with nothing meaningful over here.

looks like super pro don't list the 131 as an available option in their Fiat offerings anymore... :-( .. I used this option for years... probably as it only fitted the early style rear lower arms on the 131, later cars from maybe 1979/1980 went to a totally different shaped bush.

It's a pretty simple bush to make in Urethane, I don't think it would be too difficult to mould something off the samples I have, I know they work so making a batch isn't out of the question.

I can also get loads of the 131 style bush in rubber... with a new sleeve a little larger in OD they would make a nice snug fit (just like PaulD did with the other bushes)

that would also be a workable option for people wanting less NVH and slightly stiffer than stock...turning up a bunch of sleeves is also pretty simple so you would get to keep the stock bolts and mounts.

SteveC

Last edited:
For what it's worth, SuperPro has been doing a LOT of marketing lately. Including several special offers and discounts. I'm not sure if that is a sign they are not doing well or it could possibly mean they are doing extremely well, who knows.

But regardless it sounds to me the dimensions of the bush being discussed is not really ideal for this application? That seems like a lot of stretching/expanding required, which may lead to cracking/splitting. There are a ton of generic urethane bushes listed on some of the companies sites. I wonder if a better suited option (dimensionally) might be found? However I agree with the prior comment that is would not be difficult to turn some from a piece of round urethane stock, even without access to a lathe (but it would be much faster with one).

Turns out that super-pro still make the spf020 bush, but it's only available as a kit of four these days, SPF0020K

The spf020 really is a perfect fit for the application

they are blue urethane too, which is 70 duro rated, (much more supple than the grey bushes I've shown) so shouldn't give "too much" of an increase in NVH.

So forget about trying to drill out rubber bushes and making new sleeves, go halves with a Fiat friend (if you only have one X19) in a kit and rebush your dogbone

SteveC

This is what I did.. (sorry no pics of the procedure, I'll try to be clear) I got 4 top hat shaped urethane bushes the same diameter as the hole in the arm with the lip intact. I machined on a lathe a nylon cylinder the same diameter. I ground out 2 little half rounds on one side of the lip 180° apart. I inserted my nylon puck, and filled with 2 part resin. When cured,(1/2 hour) I removed the puck and installed the 2 urethane bushings and an inner stainless steel sleeve. Repeat other end. Now it's super easy to change bushings, although to be honest the urethane in this application will most likely never need replacement again...😁
IMG_20210712_191814636~3.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I did.. (sorry no pics of the procedure, I'll try to be clear) I got 4 top hat shaped urethane bushes the same diameter as the hole in the arm with the lip intact. I machined on a lathe a nylon cylinder the same diameter. I ground out 2 little half rounds on one side of the lip 180° apart. I inserted my nylon puck, and filled with 2 part resin. When cured,(1/2 hour) I removed the puck and installed the 2 urethane bushings and an inner stainless steel sleeve. Repeat other end. Now it's super easy to change bushings, although to be honest the urethane in this application will most likely never need replacement again...😁View attachment 54249
Making sure I understand what you did. Basically you filled the "lip" recessed area inside the Fiat's steel cylinders? Therefore making the ID of the dogbone ends the same as the ID of its lips, and the same as the OD of the universal urethane bushes?

Making sure I understand what you did. Basically you filled the "lip" recessed area inside the Fiat's steel cylinders? Therefore making the ID of the dogbone ends the same as the ID of its lips, and the same as the OD of the universal urethane bushes?
Yes, exactly!👍🏼

Last edited:
Back