Don't know how I missed this but....

trans woes

Doug you are such a hater. did they explain how the shifter worked to you before the rental??? next time he is abroad, he should rent a1981 Omni. he might understand the shifter in that....slow and stall.
god help him if he had a car with paddle shifting. he is like the people who mistake the throttle pedal for the brake.
stay in turkey!!
mikemo

I have to agree Matt

Matt,

I have to agree. My 500L is great on gas and the space is nice and when at cruising speed has been one of the better cars I have owned. That being said put me in a traffic situation and the transmission hates it. For one it wants to shift way too early then it won't down shift fast enough. I have found when I get into traffic I put the transmission in the manual automatic mode and do shifts myself works out way better. I talked to a couple of L owners at FFO this year they feel the same way that transmission is mechanically the worst part about the car. I like the new 500x its a little bigger, but the L has more interior room than the 500X. Next year sometime I am going to probably trade in the L for a 500 Abarth.:dance:

Best Brian

I absolutely LOVE my 500L Urbana Trekking! The automatic is smooth and geared nicely. The tiptronic auto stick mode really hustles the L down the road in rapid fashion. Perhaps its the trim package/ limited edition of the Urbana, but it feels like a larger version of the Abarth 500. Ive not driven the lower spec 500L, but from what Ive read, the '14 had a very crappy auto tragic trans and its auto-stick had some serious issues. IIRCC they had to recall most of them. Mines a '15 and Ive put 13,000 of the 17k on the car.

Attachments

• 20161006_100313.jpg
    20161006_100313.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20161117_073734.jpg
    20161117_073734.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 137
I absolutely LOVE my 500L Urbana Trekking! The automatic is smooth and geared nicely. The tiptronic auto stick mode really hustles the L down the road in rapid fashion. Perhaps its the trim package/ limited edition of the Urbana, but it feels like a larger version of the Abarth 500. Ive not driven the lower spec 500L, but from what Ive read, the '14 had a very crappy auto tragic trans and its auto-stick had some serious issues. IIRCC they had to recall most of them. Mines a '15 and Ive put 13,000 of the 17k on the car.
My 2014 Trekking is more or less the same with some interior/trim differences according to Fiat USA spec page on the model. The car is definitely fast, but would never compare it to my Abarth so I would be interested in test driving a new Urbana Trekking. My favorite thing about the car is torque off the line is sweet. Hill assist actually is nice too - I never use it in the Abarth, but I was in SF Friday and decided to take a short cut through some insane hilly areas. The clutch slipped a tad, but the hill assist really helped.

Perhaps my comparison to an Abarth is a stretch as the Abarth 500 is very quick. Coming from our base 500 pop, the L is waaaay faster, I mean ALOT! Our L is tje newer 6spd automatic with manual option.

Back