Door handle question

Mickey Dale

True Classic
Hello Xweb folks!

The driver's side (RH) outside door handle on my 1989 UK car is scruffy. Black paint (or powder coating) is peeling and showing silver through. I have a brand new black coated handle, but it's for the other side (LH). Is it possible to make this fit the RH side by changing the lock / barrel part? I ask because other than that, the handles look the same to me. It would also allow me to keep the original key.

Cheers!

Mickey

Hi Mickey,

I do not have a definitive answer, but I looked at MWB and they list the handles as left/right specific. I know from experience that the pawl on the back of the mechanism that operates the locking mechanism is left/right specific. What I don't know is if the pawl orientation is the only difference. The pawls can be removed and replaced by tapping out the pressed in pin that holds them to the shaft. I have never looked to see if the the pin holes are different on the R.v.L pawls.

You may need to give it a try to determine the answer. Maybe later I will go look at the operation of the handles on my RaceX. The doors still open with the stock handles and there are no door cards to block the view.

EDIT: I looked at the raceX door mechanisms. The handles do seem generic in shape and behavior, with the pawls being left/right specific. MWB may only list them L or R because they are fully assembled. If no one else has the specific answer, you will just need to dive in and try it. Take pictures when you do, I want to see them. :)

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
The only difference is the pawls. Swap the pawl from your old lock to the new. Also, you will need to rotate the lock mechanism 180 degrees so that the key is oriented the same on each side.

Thank you so much guys! I'll have a play around and try get the pawl off! Looks a tad awkward (my eyes are not what they were 20 years ago!).

There is a rolled pin that holds the pawl to the lock. I have tapped mine out with a hammer and a flattened nail of the right size.

I think there is a good thread that details the process of rebuilding the door lock / latch assemblies, with good pictures and details. But I just searched and did not find it. Maybe someone has it bookmarked?

This offers up some additional information which allows you to replace the ball on the pawl but is a goof guide as to what you need to take apart.

Images courtesy of MWB
77DBCFF3-4682-43B7-A791-D45033577C79.jpeg
F0ECDF5B-2040-430D-A9E9-5F91C2B04915.jpeg

Last edited:

This offers up some additional information which allows you to replace the ball on the pawl but is a goof guide as to what you need to take apart.

Images courtesy of MWB
View attachment 47084View attachment 47085
For some reason I still seem to recall another thread that showed the whole rebuilding process step by step with pictures? But I don't find it so maybe just another halicunation of mine. o_O

For some reason I still seem to recall another thread that showed the whole rebuilding process step by step with pictures? But I don't find it so maybe just another halicunation of mine. o_O
Make sure you please post it if you ever find it again :)

Back