Door Handle stuck

jss1591

79 X 1/9
I put the key in the lock, turned it, pushed in and now the part is stuck in and the handle itself is loose.

I can open the car door from the inside and the key still works to unlock and lock the car door. Any suggestions?

Gently tap the stuck part to see if it pops back. If it does, try to spray some lube around it and work it a few times. That's the bandaid.

You should probably pull the door card and remove the handle to clean it up and lube it. It isnt a hard job. It is a little bit of fidgety work getting the rod off the ball, but I have found warming the nylon fitting with a heat gun helps a lot. Warm it to take it off the ball and to put it back on the ball.

And be prepared to snap a few card clips. If they are original they are really fragile.

Card clips are cheap and available at most of our vendors. Buy extras, you will likely need to go back in there again some day.

Try working the key in the lock while pulling the handle, you may have inadvertantly hooked the lock pawl on the retaining bracket or some other detritus in the door.

I let Mother Nature take its course and the sun warmed up the car enough so that it popped out. Got it oiled up and soon she will be put away for the winter. #shelivesanotherday

And be prepared to snap a few card clips. If they are original they are really fragile.
Take heed of this advice from Jimmy!!!
Card clips are cheap and available at most of our vendors. Buy extras, you will likely need to go back in there again some day.
I think I've posted this before, but I replace all of the plastic clips with metal ones. There's a common VW clip that fits and works well. Inexpensive, readily available, easy to swap out, and will never break. Here is one of many sources/examples:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/N143893-56.html

I think I've posted this before, but I replace all of the plastic clips with metal ones. There's a common VW clip that fits and works well. Inexpensive, readily available, easy to swap out, and will never break. Here is one of many sources/examples:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/N143893-56.html

I like that the clips break easily. Better to have to replace a few cheap clips than the alternative which is damage to the door card fiberboard, not easily fixable.

I use one of those molding pry bars and always try to eyeball the positioning of it so that part of the clip is pressured by the flat "forks" of the pry bar business end. Similar to the one on the left below. The pliers-style one looks like it could work nicely as well.
htb1fuf3svxxxxajapxxq6xxfxxx4.jpg

Back