door opening weatherstripping

Got both sides done tonight. I spliced in the existing corner mouldings and left the section across the top of the targa...for now. All went well, I miss cut one end and left a gap but other than that it pushed on well (I did use a rubber mallet though) and fit well, seals well. Much less wind noise, no rain yet but I hope the water stays out. One roll easily does both doors and the top of the targa. Here's pics. First two are the new stripping, tried to show measurements...fail. Then a few shots of beat up old stuff, then the new installed.
http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100652

I have a roll of OEM Pirelli door strip rubber to reseal my cars, but the problem is with the targa corner... as is flattens no matter what you do.

Ricardo to the rescue, his moulded corners will solve the problem, just ordered a set and I have no doubt they will solve the problem.

BTW the original door seal is frighteningly expensive... from SoCar to Fiat, from Fiat to the dealer, from the dealer to the customer and everyone is making a little cut (as you would expect) and the original door seals run to around $250au a side!! (with moulded corners welded in), so Ricardo's little gems at $50us delivered to Australia are actually very good value IMO

Thanks for taking the time to look after your Fiat buddies Ricardo and keep up the good work.

There is also a fellow on ebay Italy who sells OEM Pirelli stuff (advertised for 128 etc) and sells 8m sections at reasonable $$

SteveC

Did you adjust the strike plates out a bit? I've found that a fraction of inch out makes a big difference in how much the weatherstrip compresses.

Hmmm... mine must be seized - they didn't move at all when I loosened the screws in the door jamb - I called Thomas * Bayless at the time, as I was surprised that Fiat wouldn't allow for some latitude in door alignment. He must have misunderstood my question if those plates are intended to be adjustable. I'll have to try that again. Maybe a little penetrating oil would be beneficial.

Did you take any pics of how the door glass fits against the "b" pillar seal? I'm curious to see if it's better than the Bayless stuff - mine barely touches the glass, esp towards the top. If I have to adjust the door outward to lessen the slamming now required to close the door, that will only increase the gap at the rear seal area :sad:

I also had pretty poor contact there with OEM seal, it seems better with this stuff, I will take some pictures. Doors close a bit harder which is understandable. I wonder how long it will hold up, gets knocked about quite a bit with people coming and going.
Added some pictures of glass seal. It's pretty good until you get down low, just above the top of the door.
See last few pics, sorry for quality.
http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100652

Last edited:
In SDC10597, is that a piece of paper placed in the gap?

Mine seem to be tighter at the base of the glass/door & wider at the top. I'll take a couple of pics of mine for comparison.

yes I folded up a yellow sticky note to see if there was contact or not, there isn't, the ohter picture titled "see the gap" on (DS) you can see the gap, here it is recreated and labled, sorry for focus, camera wants to focus on background, not forground.
I'm not convinced this touches the glass a ton better than OEM, a bit better in my case, it's better for me because about 60% of the old stuff was "gone"! I can fill that gap with a bit of something (stick on foam stuff from hardware store should work, cut to shape.
windowsealgap.jpg

In SDC10597, is that a piece of paper placed in the gap?

Mine seem to be tighter at the base of the glass/door & wider at the top. I'll take a couple of pics of mine for comparison.

MIne are quite tight at the top of the glass (front edge, not very tight at the rear, but touching). Rain expected Thursday, will tell the tale.

Did you try tweaking the strike plate?

MIne are quite tight at the top of the glass (front edge, not very tight at the rear, but touching). Rain expected Thursday, will tell the tale.

Hi Jeff,

Maybe adjusting the plate to make the door close a little more would close that gap a bit? Maybe you already tried this. Of course the other factor is that adjusting it inwards may make the door harder to close. :(

I have a roll of OEM Pirelli door strip rubber to reseal my cars, but the problem is with the targa corner... as is flattens no matter what you do.

Ricardo to the rescue, his moulded corners will solve the problem, just ordered a set and I have no doubt they will solve the problem.

BTW the original door seal is frighteningly expensive... from SoCar to Fiat, from Fiat to the dealer, from the dealer to the customer and everyone is making a little cut (as you would expect) and the original door seals run to around $250au a side!! (with moulded corners welded in), so Ricardo's little gems at $50us delivered to Australia are actually very good value IMO

Thanks for taking the time to look after your Fiat buddies Ricardo and keep up the good work.

There is also a fellow on ebay Italy who sells OEM Pirelli stuff (advertised for 128 etc) and sells 8m sections at reasonable $$

SteveC

Steve, you don't happen to have this guys details by chance. An Ebay search had me coming up empty.

Cheers,
Dave

OK dear i f want to change then come on my shop i have wast range of these type of stuff

despite the rarity of being called "dear" on the internet, if the price (for the door weathersheild) is right, you can call me whatever you like!:)

Can you please give me some details about prices, pics etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Can someone inform me on whether JC Whitney are away over the holiday period, as I've emailed them a few times over 2 weeks ago and haven't received a reply from them. I'd love to get some of this stuff shipped over here in the the coming months but they requested an email to get a shipping quote.

If anyone could shed some light, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Dave

Not too many places close up for long during the holidays. Most if not all will be closed 24th and 31st, some the following Mondays but very unlikely more than that, especially a retail place.

Not too many places close up for long during the holidays. Most if not all will be closed 24th and 31st, some the following Mondays but very unlikely more than that, especially a retail place.

Many thanks Jeff, I'll email them again and failing that I guess I'll have to call them.

Cheers,
Dave

Back