Door retaining S hooks

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Anybody have a picture of these in their proper orientation? One of mine was missing, and the other was there but had fallen out of place. So no clue how these are supposed to go. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

1662400227595.png
1662400227595.png

Yeah, I have one missing on my driver's side, does not look like it will be fun to replace, under tension......

The replacement ones I got many years ago weren’t flat on the ends. I had to grind them down so they’d fit correctly.

Yeah, I have one missing on my driver's side, does not look like it will be fun to replace, under tension......
I didn't find a way to do it without scratching the paint on the hinge. I didn't get any pictures, but what I did was lay the door outside up, and put the S hook in place in the bottom hole. In fact, so far in the hole that the entire top of the S was above the hinge. Then I used my largest channel locks to grab the hinge (with some cloth in between so the teeth didn't scar up the hinge). Holding the hinge tightly, I then used a 2 foot pry bar to tension the spring to where the top of the S was past the back of the hinge (back as it is oriented on the car). With my third hand, I got a BFH and hit the spring downward (again, as oriented on the car). This moved the top of the S hook past the back of the hinge, trapping it there under tension. Then I could tap it all the way down to where the tab is trapped in the hole it goes in.

My first plan was a bad one, it was to put the S in the same "high" position, bolt the door to the car, then use a pry bar to pop the top of the S hook in place. Accomplished nothing but scratching a bunch of fresh paint work.

Back