Dreaded rust

jrweikle

True Classic
Started getting the dreaded rust around the windshield. What can I do to keep it from getting wrost as it may be a year or so before I can paint the car.

Scrape off the loose/bubbling paint at the very least, to remove mositure trap areas.

Msybe use some rust convertor on it - I personally haven't found that to work very well though.

Started getting the dreaded rust around the windshield. What can I do to keep it from getting wrost as it may be a year or so before I can paint the car.
Hey - good to hear from you again! I had been wondering if something bad had happened to you or the car....

Anyways, one of my X's has that evil rust bubble. It's been that way for ten years without getting worse after I cleaned it up as lookforjoe says. I expect that the key is that the car is garaged and never ever goes out in the rain. The chrome trim strip around the windshield is just glued down so can be popped off to clean what's underneath.

"Started getting the dreaded rust around the windshield. What can I do to keep it from getting wrost as it may be a year or so before I can paint the car."[/QUOTE]

Yep, I have "been there - done that!"
My advice is to "bite the bullet now" and do the job properly, before the EVIL rust slowly eats it way deeper into the w/screen surround metal!
At the time I bought my '78 1300 X (18 years ago), I noted that the previous owner had kept the car garaged, but had not bothered to wipe the car down before parking it in the garage after she had been driving it in wet weather! As a result, the dreaded rust had started "eating" around under the w/screen rubber.
A good friend of mine was (still is) a panel-shop owner and his advice was to get the w/screen out PRONTO, before any further corrosion took place.
After the w/screen had been removed, it amazed me just how much hidden metal around the w/screen aperture had been damaged by rusting over the years! :(
My panel-shop mate did a brilliant repair job by welding in new metal into the w/screen aperture, and repainting the repair job, resulting in there being no sign of the repair being done. :D
I repeat - do the repair job NOW! I'll bet you that the rusting will have gone further into the screen surround than what you can see now!

cheers, IanL - NZ

Back