Duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray.

Thanks guys for the info

I know in the old days RM had a paint that they sold a flex agent for to change the color of vinal. It worked great but wasn't recomended for seats, I suppose it didn't hold up. You can no longer get that paint here in California. Your right Tony the guys don't want me to wear shorts but the girls don't mind they just laugh and walk away. You might be right about going to white first. I'll practice on a spare piece first.
Thanks
Charlie

I've never seen an Ivory interior...

... look so GREAT!

Beautiful!

But a water-based LATEX house paint! That is hard to believe! Great job!

As Mr. Dude was saying...

Sometimes you are limited to the color choices on hand.

I found my local O'Rielly parts house to be very accommodating and will order the other colors that are available but they don't usually stock. I found some tans, browns, and blues as well as greys and all sorts of blacks. I prefer the FLAT black and other FLAT colors if they are available. Just looks more "right" to me...

I enjoyeyed your comments as well Charlie... Continued success at the track as well with the women!

Ok, so it's time for an update. I've been meaning to post a picture for a while but keep forgetting. As you can see the spray has faded pretty bad and still doesn't feel very good to touch. I would not recommend anyone else use this spray on their seats or any high wear area.
FxyLi.jpg

Jase

I did the same to seats like yours. Although it still looks good i'm going to have them recovered.
Your right about the feel to them i can say it feels as if i'm sitting on sandpaper :eek:mg:

Jase, did you use DUPLICOLOR or another brand?

I have never found this to be true of the Duplicolor products...

My seats are still GREAT after a couple of years and I have only touched up some scuff marks that were low and against the bracketry, not from my back or but. Mine are all vinyl though, and not fabric. But I have used it on fabric as well with out the stiffness you mentioned.

I have tried some other products also... like PLASTICOTE (I think)... there version of a fabric dye and like you said, it was just kinda all wrong, like I used a PAINT rather than a dye.

I also imagine some preps, dirt, or some materials just may NOT work well with Duplicolor or other brands either. Sorry for your trouble though.

Attaached are a few fotos of mine, and BTW, I used the same thing on my Vette with leathers and fabrics, accent work on chrome and vinyl door cards and it all looks FACTORY fresh.

I wanted to show you the door cards but don't really have a foto of them... They have carpet as well a vinyl. Black photographs terribly, especially with flash... but wanted to show that I used the stuff on the framework of the access panels as well as the cut edges of the carpet to conceal backing on a few spots. Both these interiors look much better in person... Hope you have better success in the future.

Back