Dwell - Ducelier Distro

dnudelman

True Classic
Hi,
817 motor, ducellier distributor. Just installed new points, set gap to .018 inch. Dwell meter reads 22 degrees, I don't see a dwell number in the FSM or Haynes. I see elsewhere on this forum, 57-62 degrees but is that correct for Dulcelier also?

Last edited:
The dwell angle for the Ducelier distributor on the 1300 X1/9s is 55+/-3 degrees. That is pretty common for many cars. It is more a function of the coil primary inductance and resistance than the distributor. The idea is to get the primary current up to a certain value before the points open and create a large primary voltage.

ok, set the points to 016, now about 25 degrees. Do I have a problem in the coil? low idle rough. I have extra coils.

If .016" point gap is only giving you 25 degrees of dwell, I would check your feeler gauge and your dwell meter. Are you sure your meter doesn't require doubling the readings on the 8 cylinder scale for a 4 cylinder engine (very common)? That would give you 50 degrees which is pretty close to where you want to be.

I have a vintage sears penske meter. Has a setting for 4 cyl. I can't swear that its working properly. I'll turn the setting to 8 cyl and see what it reads.
'

I have a vintage sears penske meter. Has a setting for 4 cyl. I can't swear that its working properly. I'll turn the setting to 8 cyl and see what it reads.
'
I've also got an ancient Sears Penske dwell tach. It only has an 8 cylinder and 6 cylinder scale with a note on the meter face saying to double the 8 cylinder readings for a 4 cylinder.

Back