DYI Motor Mounts

lanciahf

True Classic
After my futile search for soft motor mounts I took Mike Haynes advice and made my own. He suggested making molds and pouring urethane. I decided on a Durometer rating of 40 from Mcmaster -Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-urethane/=14jvkh8

Scorpion mounts differ from X1/9 mounts. The metal sleeve where the bolt passes through protrudes 1/4" on each side of the mount and is encased in rubber.
orginal_mounts.jpg

I had a buddy make some molds out of wood. To center & recess the metal sleeve the mold has a 7/8 wide center hole and is about 1/4" deep. Two wood rings were glued to the molds to center the mount, they stick up about 1/8". A long bolt passes through the two pieces of wood holding the metal tube in place and the wood rings hold the mount centered. In order for the urethane not to stick to the wood I melted wax and brushed it on the wood.

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

My first attempt resulted in disaster as I did not apply enough wax and the urethane seeped out. I should have tested my molds first..... I thought the urethane would be thick enough not to leak out. So after much cleaning I was ready for another attempt and yes I had to buy another can.

disaster.jpg

My second attempt I borrowed some clay from my son and used it as a sealer.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

This time the urethane stayed in place. After 24 hours I was able to remove the wood molds easy enough, but the long bolt was a pain. I should have applied wax to that also. As a result the metal sleeve spins in the urethane which I think is okay??? Anyway I coated the metal sleeve and Urethane in Loctite PL-30 caulk (Approved in all of the Honda Forums for quick motor mount fixes.) This should keep the sleeve from rotating and provide an added noise insulator. Trying to apply the caulk and be neat was not very successful.

17.jpg

I'll give the rubber a couple of days to get hard and reinstall the mounts.

I had the same thing (dripping goo thing) happen to me with some Acura Legend engine and transmission isolater mounts. I have to redo them again also....Grrrr!

Very nice work, the motor mounts for our cars can be a challenge, I know about 10 guys
Looking for a source!

Very creative solution, you'll have to let us know what the harmonics are like once installed. Thanks for the post!

Pete

DYI Motor Mounts was a fail, The urethane I selected (40 Duro) was not able to handle the weight of the engine and deformed as soon as I lowered the engine off the jack.

I did find an interesting post on the MR2 forum that sort of explains why soft urethane can not handle the weight and does not like to bond to anything. After reading this I tried to push the urethane out of the mount and it came out just by using my hand.

I think Urethane would be okay for a X1/9 dog bone mount as the weight is not there and the mount just has to support side to side motion.

Anyway back to the drawing board.

Check out the post at http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/1...ngine-mounts-for-25-using-liquid-polyurethane

"As for Urethane selection it is much more complex than just finding one with the durometer that you want. For example the company I get mine from warned me that their 40A and 60A may or may not work for engine mounts but had properties that were designed for other applications. Even their 80A comes in different types. It's not just any old 80A. They have a special 80A specifically formulated for things like engine mounts.
It will be interesting to hear how your mounts do after 20k miles but I would be hesitant to recommend a certain product not designed for this application before you have tested them for a while.
Another thing to be aware of is that Polyurethane does not like to stick to other things, especially metal and other non porous surfaces. If you are relying on a mechanical bond you want to use a urethane to steel primer made specifically for your urethane and application."

BB3.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB_MM.jpg

BB_MM2.jpg

My first go at replacing the original collapsed rubber mounts was with polyurethane. I used polyurethane rod; not liquid. They worked well, but were too firm and caused the interior to rattle. Using a softer poly may have helped. The ones I have now from Montehospital are spot on. Costly, but worth the end result.

Mark,
I saw the TMH ones but they use harder rubber and that is I originally had. I think 034 Motorsports made mounts in three different rubber compounds, 80,60 & 50 Durometer. I originally ordered the soft ones but they sent me the hard ones. 034 has since stopped making them and TMH sells only the harder ones. With the harder mounts the whole car vibrated and I hated it. I tried drilling holes in the rubber and it did take the edge off but it was still pretty bad.

Mike sent me a link to a site in Germany that sells the mounts, I ordered them and will report back once they are installed.
http://www.bielstein.com/motorlager-motoraufhangung-satz-3-stuck-lancia-beta-montecarlo

Last edited:
Mounts installed, a pain to press in. Once I get the car running I'll report back on the harshness. I like these bushings as they have the same slots as the stock ones.

mt1.jpg

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the orientation of the bushings are wrong.
I think they should have the solid part of the rubber top and bottom, so it supports the weight of the engine.....?

I thought the same thing, earlier in this post is a picture of the original mounts and they show the same orientation.

Yea it does seem counter intuitive. Mark what do you think? I guess I can always press the motor mounts back out and turn them?

I think that is the reason they are "worn out".
Someone on the Lancia Montecarlo Facebook page confirmed that my mounts are in backwards. Below is a picture of the correct orientations.
Yet another do over job. I guess my mounts were originally installed incorrectly.
correct_mounts.jpg

I believe you had them in the original orientation the first time; based on every car I've ever seen. That's not to say that rotating them 90 degrees won't support the weight better. Maybe more vibration, though.

I believe you had them in the original orientation the first time; based on every car I've ever seen. That's not to say that rotating them 90 degrees won't support the weight better. Maybe more vibration, though.
Thanks Mark, I'll leave the mounts the way they are.

Mark,
I saw the TMH ones but they use harder rubber and that is I originally had. I think 034 Motorsports made mounts in three different rubber compounds, 80,60 & 50 Durometer. I originally ordered the soft ones but they sent me the hard ones. 034 has since stopped making them and TMH sells only the harder ones. With the harder mounts the whole car vibrated and I hated it. I tried drilling holes in the rubber and it did take the edge off but it was still pretty bad.

Mike sent me a link to a site in Germany that sells the mounts, I ordered them and will report back once they are installed.
http://www.bielstein.com/motorlager-motoraufhangung-satz-3-stuck-lancia-beta-montecarlo
Lanciaf: old thread, but am wondering how the engine mounts from this site turned out?

Anyone: how much needs to be removed to replace all 3 mounts?

Last edited:
Hi Ward, Sorry for the late response. I had three new mounts to press in, One oem, that I was lucky enough to find and two from Bielstein. The OEM one pressed in fairly easily. The ones from Bielstein were slightly larger and were a pain to start correctly. Once stared they pressed in okay. The night before I froze the bushings and suggested to my mechanic buddy who was doing the pressing to apply heat the to the mounting brackets. He ignored me, I thought this would have made the job easier. Anyway the car felt much better with these bushings than the ones from 034 motorsport. The vibrating tea kettle sensation was gone. For my new scorpion I have ordered another set from Bielstein as backups, my current bushings are okay.

Hi Ward, Sorry for the late response. I had three new mounts to press in, One oem, that I was lucky enough to find and two from Bielstein. The OEM one pressed in fairly easily. The ones from Bielstein were slightly larger and were a pain to start correctly. Once stared they pressed in okay. The night before I froze the bushings and suggested to my mechanic buddy who was doing the pressing to apply heat the to the mounting brackets. He ignored me, I thought this would have made the job easier. Anyway the car felt much better with these bushings than the ones from 034 motorsport. The vibrating tea kettle sensation was gone. For my new scorpion I have ordered another set from Bielstein as backups, my current bushings are okay.
Curious if these bushings are the same as was once offered for the X's mounts? At one time Chris (Fiat Plus) offered them. Do you have a link to the ones you used? The old link posted earlier in this thread has gone dead for me.

"Anyone: how much needs to be removed to replace all 3 mounts?"

Not too bad, front trans mount is the worst because you have to bend over and can barely see the nuts but all in all a straight forward job. Once the mounts were out I used a propane torch to burn out the rubber, then cut a slit in the outer metal bushing metal ring with a hacksaw from the inside out. Then chiseled the metal bushings out.

Back