Dyno Day!

just a thought on your problem it looks like you have zinc plated some of the pulleys this hasn't made them super slippery by any chance?

If the belt did somehow jump some teeth you need to replace the belt anyway. I'll throw out ideas like everyone else, any chance the key on he crankshaft sheared or got damaged and it allowed the crank sprocket to shift?

I once dropped a small bolt between belt and crank pulley
Belt jumped teeth (but also tore halfway through)

Since both the cam and the ignition distributor went way out of time, I'd inspect for possibly something internal as well. However if it was the timing belt it could affect both the cam and aux drive pulleys at the same time. But that should be much more obvious just looking at things.

Since both the cam and the ignition distributor went way out of time, I'd inspect for possibly something internal as well. However if it was the timing belt it could affect both the cam and aux drive pulleys at the same time. But that should be much more obvious just looking at things.
So, I am embarrassed to share this story, but on my race 128, I drove it 80 miles down the highway at 80, to the hill climb. Raced the first day, all good. Second day, my first run was really slow and the car was running hot, exhaust melting the underlayment on the floor. What the hell???? Turned out I had not tightened down the distributor, and it decided to self tune over the last couple of days. Weird things can happen.

just a thought on your problem it looks like you have zinc plated some of the pulleys this hasn't made them super slippery by any chance?
They're cad plated, not zinc but I don't think that lowers the surface friction. All bolts are tight, and nothing has sheared off. I just got it back from Alfa Italia in Burbank, they reset everything and it's running great again. I'm still worried though because no cause was found. What's to stop it from happening again? Whatever IT was....

We have all had that spooky feeling. My bet is that if it happens again it will be on startup.
About six months ago my wife and I put phone locator apps on our phones so if my X died on some country road she could find me. I believe her comment was " that's nice but I'm not coming to get you"!

We have all had that spooky feeling. My bet is that if it happens again it will be on startup.
About six months ago my wife and I put phone locator apps on our phones so if my X died on some country road she could find me. I believe her comment was " that's nice but I'm not coming to get you"!
Your wife and mine seem to have similar attitudes around our car hobby.

In her defense she did pull the X a mile and a bit in her minivan to home so I could fix the cam belt a few years ago.

When my wife and I met I was heavily into motorcycle racing and street riding. Going back to cars was probably seen as an approved switch for me but she still thinks my Fiat hobby is something to be tolerated rather than approved.

Back