Earl Grey and Marmite

Pottsy
Remember Pat, it's pot to kettle, not kettle to pot. Always ensure that the pot is thoroughly warmed. Loose leaf is preferred and this gives the best flavour as well as the opportunity to use your new silver plated, commemorative 'Wills and Kate'â, bijou tea strainerette, c/w its handle showing the beaming countenances of the fabby, wonderful, handsome couple and the Royalâ coat of arms.
Only the best china, please.

Remember too, when creating the essential cucumber sandwiches, that only butter suffices, new thin sliced white bread and chilled 'cumbers peeled and sliced as to be almost transparent. No more than one layer and crusts cut off with the resultant clean assembly dissected diagonally into quarters, to create the ideal repast.
Serve on a chilled porcelain plate, c/w commemorative 'Wills and Kate'â mugshots err... likenesses. Then underpin the presentation with your never-to-be-forgotten commemorative 'Wills and Kate'â doilies.
N.B. - A small brochette of freshly picked water-cress may be allowed to stray onto the corner of the plate. For purely decorative detail, of course. Freshly laundered white cotton gloves are mandatory.

Marmite, with its 'like-it-or-loathe-it' taste, is best spread on new warm toast, freshly buttered and with slices cut into strips about 4"x1" - aka 'soldiers'. Apply sparingly.

Finally, if the lousy Brit weather doesn't do the expected business, I shall be on the grassy knoll with my trusty Mannlicher-Schoenauer (you know, the one that grand-daddy Algenon ffitch-Cholmondeley bagged his first snow leopard with, from all of 650 meters in '32), looking out for 'Wills and Kate'â.
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Last edited:
Marmite still remains available in my house, much to the disgust of my spouse of course. See - I'm not all bad :angel:

That'll be Vegemite Dan

Yep, very similar. Marmite's been around since before 1900 (see later entry). Not sure about the Aussie version though.
:grin:

Last edited:
When you say 'around since 1900'

are you refering to all of it ever made-it tastes like it:dead:

Or is it actually mined out of caves or something?

Im finally in Majority!

Air1 one (radio) reports that a BBC estimate has a full one third of the world's population tuning into the royal wedding...

That puts me in a two thirds majority that has their "bored-with-it meter" full on pegged at max.

T

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Marmite is a beef extract.

God's gift to us all, Vegemite, is a yeast extract - actually a by-product of the (beer) brewing process.

It turned us Aussies into the men and women we are today!

Regards,

Brian

Air1 one (radio) reports that a BBC estimate has a full one third of the world's population tuning into the royal wedding...

That puts me in a two thirds majority that has their "bored-with-it meter" full on pegged at max.

If a 1/3 of the planet was watching, you gotta wonder how many people on the planet heard Meredith Vieira refer to the kiss between the couple as "THE MONEY SHOT"!!!!! :eek:mg:

Once again, we yanks bring a little class to the table!!!!:dance2:

Fillers ....

Wiki to the rescue ..... cue William Tell Overture ...diddy-dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Brian - 1902 first invented in England and sent to the Colonies later. One time your mates in NZ got the better of you by licensing it first! Wonder what the maoris thought of it - you reckon it was the origins of the Haka face pulling jobbies, then?

Bovril makes beef extract for footy games in winter.

Pat - I could be heard in the crowd shouting "I've lost me marbles!" just before the accident (I had my prize dobber in the bag too:sigh:). Had to leave my uncle's rifle at the repair shop as a test firing resulted in having a parting in my hair on the wrong side and a grovelling apology to my next door neighbours regarding Henry V111, their part-Persian cat, as he was last seen running from the test area with the remaining 3" of bolt action protruding from his furry hinterland. (I wuz loadid fer Bars).:angel:
Doc says I'll be right as rain in a fortnight. The headaches and double vision are a bind, but the randy lass at no.8 reckons me new 'duelling scar' can only help my case for getting l**d before I'm seventy.
The reconstructive surgery will have to wait.

Pat - ps. the gov could cut immigration by 98% if they made each applicant eat a full slice of Warburton's white toasty bread with a thick layer of Marmite spread on it!

Last edited:
This is good...

" Faced with growing competition from Marmite, from 1928 to 1935 the product (Vegemite) was renamed as Parwill to make use of the advertising slogan, "Marmite but Parwill", a convoluted pun on "Ma [mother] might [like the taste] but Pa [father] will." This attempt to expand market share was unsuccessful and the name was changed back to Vegemite; but did not recover lost market share."

I think I understood my spanish songs better...lol

Know any cockney rhyming slang? That's some funny stuff to me. A former employee in SD and his mate would go on forever about nothing at all it would seem, just to say "hey how's it going lets go grab a pint or two". They may as well have been speaking klingon for all could make out of it...

Cheers

Tommy

T

Cockney

Trouble and strife - wife
Apple and Pears - stairs
Adam and Eve - believe
Mutt and Jeff - deaf
Pork pies - lies
Pan lids - kids
Going for a pony and trap - c**p
Going for a Ruby Murray - curry
He's wearing a syrup - syrup of figs - wig
Me Chalfonts are givin' me gyp - Chalfont St. Giles - piles
He's on the dog - dog and bone - phone
OK me old china - china plate - mate
He's a bit creamed - cream crackered - knackered
Check out the Condolleeza on that - Condo Rice - price
Goin' for a Donald - Donald Trump - dump

Plenty more on:
http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/A

Oi Pottsy, bruvva...........!!

.....just to say "hey how's it going lets go grab a pint or two". They may as well have been speaking klingon for all could make out of it.....[/QUOTE]

.......sounds like you better take Tommy and his number 8 down to the rubbity for a quick 'alf or 3!! :nuts:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Dave, a piece in the New Yorker...

described the Wedding as the "...perfect Marmite moment, splitting the country into equal camps of love it or loathe it.."

Sorry to hear about Poor Pussy's unfortunate ferrous enema-do hope all works out in the end:) Is the bolt still useable or are the Snow Leopard's safe for the present?

It has to be said ....

That the sightings of snow leopards on the Liverpool hinterland have been scarce indeed. Nearest possible site would be Prescot and the Knowsley Wildlife Park. I doubt if the owners would welcome an aspiring white hunter taking pot-shots at their breeding pair, even if I pointed out that my living room wall could accommodate both.

Henry V111 has been found sans said late mechanical contrivance. However, he now has a bore of 0.483" making him a very small pussy when compared to the majority in this area.:lol:

Now that the sheets are bloody...

and the Windsors are off producing yet another generation of chinless banjo players, what do you predict for the May 5 referendum?

Also, a few basic British politics questions, if you would be so good:

1) What in the world is a LIB DEM? This sounds either redundant or wishy washy to the American ear. Please explain and/or defend such a label.

2) Do you think that the fact AV has been used without bloodshed in Australia since 1918 is any sort of recommendation to the British. It is my understanding the Antipodes are populated entirely by criminals and people with eyes below their navels. Please provide examples of non-criminal Australians to bolster your defence of AV (Nicole Kidman does not count because she always marries men shorter than she).

3) Do all front benchers go to the same barber?

4) My wife claims there are no 'grassy knolls' in the West End. I have taken the rule of thumb to the saucy wench but she perseveres in her claim. Please provide example(s) of GKs for my use in dousing her pretentions to intellectual equality ( she has just finished Three Guineas is in a foul, man-hating mood at present-it is I who is afraid of VW)

5) Why does Scotland have both it's own Parliment and 59 seats at Westminster? Does England have 59 seats in the SP? Please explain this stupidity so even I can understand it.

6) What is with the huge number of MPs and Lords-like almost 1400 of them? We get by(if that is the right word) with a total of 435 Representatives and 100 Senators. Your "country" has only 68m "people" we have 305M or some damn thing. Please give reasons for this abomination against Nature.

7) How did you guys get away with being part of the EU but without the Euro? Jolly good move on your part by the way.

Yours, etc,

Patrick, second Duke of Earl

Back