Early 850 Coupe rebuild

Seeing all of this makes me worried about when I finally take my 850 apart and what I will find.

I think my car sat for 20 years in a parking garage in Burbank which saved it from much water and I have kept it primarily inside since 1990 but have driven it in the rain a number of times.

Keep driving forward!

Naaah...

Seeing all of this makes me worried about when I finally take my 850 apart and what I will find. I think my car sat for 20 years in a parking garage in Burbank which saved it from much water and I have kept it primarily inside since 1990 but have driven it in the rain a number of times.

I wouldn't worry, that actually sounds like a sheltered life compared to what this car has probably gone through (before me). :sun:

Continued - Part 9

I will, of course, remove this galvanized metal piece once I put the car back down on its wheels & can access the interior of the car again...

Fast-forward through almost 3 months of "life", & I'm back at work on this Coupe. The car is now down on all 4 wheels again, & I'm working on the interior side of the floors for a change. :)

First up is removal of the rest of the galvanized-metal floor "patches" that the previous owner had installed inside the car; one large piece covering the entire driver-side front footwell, & a smaller piece on the passenger-side wrapping around the area where the floor & the inner wheel-well meet:

07a.jpg

Galvanized metal panels now removed, I set about scraping all of the OEM factory soundproofing material (thin sheets of tar-compound stuff) from the top surface of the floors, starting from just in front of the rear seat area & working all the way forward to the front of the front footwells. A bit tedious work, but nothing too difficult. I was going to leave as much of this stuff intact as possible, but found a lot of what was still there was in poor condition, & the good parts were so sporadically located that it just made more sense to replace it all with new product instead (I have a roll of Dynamat-type soundproofing that I got for free a while ago & this seems like a good opportunity to put it to use).

Most of the floor sheetmetal was in good condition with its original pinkish-tan primer clearly visible. In these photos below, most of the original soundproofing has been removed, with just a bit left to do still visible below the clutch/brake pedal assembly (the pale yellow/tan stuff with a black outline). I purposely left the soundproofing in place in the rear seat area because it was all still in good condition.

07b.jpg 07c.jpg

When I had pulled up the large galvanized metal panel from the driver-side front footwell, I found two ~6" diameter areas in the left/front corner that the previous owner had covered with a 1/2"-thick layer of black roofing tar. Removing this tar revealed large rusty craters that had been literally filled with the tar as a "repair". These are the black-stained areas visible here:

07d.jpg 07e.jpg

Two very different views of rust damage in the same spot; first view is from below (taken from a previous post) & second view is from above (inside the car). Use the small jagged rust-hole, two drilled holes & the swaybar-mount bolt/nut (center of photo) for visual orientation.

07f2.jpg 07f.jpg

Rather than cut out & patch two separate rust areas, I'll likely just make a single larger repair here, as noted by the green outline:

07g.jpg

On the driver-side inner rocker panel, the seatbelt anchor plate is pinching the rear wiring harness in place against the rocker panel. Since the retaining bolt & captive nut (on the other side) have "become one" due to heavy rust, I can't just unbolt the anchor to free the wiring. Note the rusty cracked/torn area to the left of the anchor bolt...

07h.jpg

My hope was to maybe twist/move the anchor up & back at least just enough to slip the wiring free...

07i.jpg

(To be continued...)

Continued - Part 9.5

Pffft. So much for hopes & dreams! The whole seatbelt anchor came right out of the panel - with the wiring still pinched in place between layers of rusty metal, of course. With a bit of careful prying, I managed to get almost all of the wires free except for two (pink & brown).

07j.jpg 07k.jpg

I'll have to cut the metal anchor apart to get the wires free, so I just set it aside for the time being & moved over to the passenger-side of the car to continue working on the floor there.

(Days later...)

So I've now moved over to the other side of the car to work on the passenger-side floor. In this pic, I'm just beginning to strip the soundproofing/tar stuff from the floor, starting from just in front of the rear seat area's front ledge (at left of photo) & working forward behind the inner seat rail perch, then over between both seat rail perches, then on to the front footwell area. This also includes removing a 6"x12"x1/2" tar pit just in front of the front seat, installed by the previous owner to apparently cover up two 3"x3" areas of rust-perforated (pinholed) floor metal near the central drain hole.

07l.jpg

Moving up to the front footwell, I remove the smaller galvanized metal cover-panel installed there by the previous owner, & find a rusted-out area similar to what I found on the driver-side floor:

07n.jpg 07o.jpg

Like before, the "perceived" rust damage was very different when comparing the view from the underside of the car looking up (photo from an earlier post) to the view from inside the car looking down:

07p2.jpg 07p.jpg

Using simple hand tools (hammer, chisel/paint scraper, screwdriver & pliers) I started in on removing the most-damaged metal here - mainly to see what was underneath! It actually cleaned up quite well, though I obviously have to finish cutting out the rest of the bad metal just fore & aft of this area.

07q.jpg

It's also a good opportunity to verify the condition of the metal backing plate with 2 captive nuts that the front swaybar inner pivot/saddle bolts onto (from under the car) - this backing plate is clearly visible here down in the little "trough" in the center of the photo. If this plate & nuts were really rusty, then there'd be the possibility of either the nuts breaking loose from the plate (& thus spinning uselessly), or the bolts seizing onto/within the nuts & shearing off, when later trying to remove those 2 bolts to install new saddle bushings on the swaybar pivots. That would be a real bummer (btdt), as the only way to really remedy either of those issues would be to cut out the floor metal above to gain access to the plate/nuts (to fix them). Seeing as how I already have that metal above them technically "removed" for now, I'll go ahead & soak the nuts/bolts in PB Blaster for a few days to ensure the bolts can be backed out (removed) nice & easy. If so, I'll then put a couple new tack-welds on each nut to ensure they're secured to the backing plate for good, & a few more securing the plate to the sheetmetal it's sitting on. Preventive maintenance.

Similar to what's needed in this spot on the driver-side floor, I'll likely install a single repair panel here, as shown by the green outline:

07r.JPG

Both floors now scraped free of all soundproofing & tar spots. Note the gaping hole in the driver-side inner rocker where seatbelt anchor used to be...

07s.jpg

(To be continued...)

Continued - Part 9.75

Another view of the passenger-side front footwell area. I'll likely also need to replace a 4"x4" area surrounding the center drain hole - the metal there's a bit thin, crispy & pin-holed & the triangular cover-tab is barely hanging on.

07t.jpg 07u copy.JPG

By this time, it's time to clean things up & go home for the night. So here we finish with the obligatory sweep-up photo, showing about half the amount of the dirt, OE soundproofing, PO's tar & a bit of rusty metal removed from the interior floors...

07z.jpg

(To be continued...)

NOTE: As of 12/25/18, I have now deleted all of the previous 3rd-party-hosted image links for this thread, since most of the links were dead or required "user membership" per hosting company to view them. In order to restore & preserve the thread content on a more-permanent basis, the original images have now been uploaded directly to the Xweb server as attachments (ie: as long as Xweb stays alive, we're good). Due to Xweb photo-attachment limits (10 photos per post/page), extensive editing of the original threads was required, hence the "flow" of some pages might be off (versus the original postings) & 2 additional pages were added to handle the resulting overflow of original text/photos (Parts 9.5 & 9.75). Lotsa work, but hopefully worth it in the long run...

I'm hoping to get back to work on this 850 Coupe in the next month or so, & am eager to continue this thread, as well. :)

Been looking forward to seeing the next installment. Thanks for uploading the images, being able to see them again is helpful. I know it was a lot of work.

Happy New Year!

Glad you fixed the photo issue. PB managed to p*ss off and mess up a lot of folks around the internet (great business strategy, not). I looked at your thread a few months back and a story without the associated photos just doesn't work well. Nice to read a thread on the restoration process of an 850 coupe. And it has a Canadian connection too! Looking forward to hear more down the road.

Wow! I thought I got into more than I bargained for with my '67 Spider project. Great documentation and explanations. I'm still stuck on why anyone would bondo over the rear panel seams? Keep everyone posted!

Hi Jeff, nice project and photos, thanks for the progress updates, best wishes for driving that pretty 850 coupe in 2019! Eric Van Nice

Back