Early pics of new leather interior...

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
I just picked the X up from the interior shop. I finally went for the all leather package and finished off everything. I love the smell and feel, makes the car seem much more up-market. I had the dash stitched in leather and suede. I am not sure about the suede on the dash so I am having another one done in leather to swap and see how I like that. Let me know what you think. Check out the under-dash areas, really finishes the interior off to have these areas covered. I am still in the process of getting the stereo worked out.

Here is the overall look so far. Not totally finished here but you get the idea.

DSC_0008_001.jpg

DSC_0003_002.jpg

DSC_0007_004.jpg

DSC_0004_003.jpg

I am looking for feedback on this since I can still tweek it with the installer if needed. You can email me personally if you don't want to be overly critical in public.
Thanks
Brett

That is a super WOW.

Definitely the classiest interior I've ever seen on an X.
Beautiful job.
As for the dashboard, I'd drop the suede.
Keep the pics coming, please.​

i also think it looks great. i would drop the suede from the gauges and winshield frame though. its a little to much. very classy.

Sorry...

I cannot really share that info as the work that was done here was done as part of a trade out for professional services. The cost to me was nothing but I had to do some work for the interior shop in order to get this favor. I did my paint the same way, I love to trade services.
Brett

Excellent.....

Love the way you have covered below and behind the console... I've just done mine in leather and dark suede around the windscreen.
not too keen on the light suede on the dash though...Lappy;)

Just incredible!

Easily the best interior I have seen ever. (Its hard to type while drooling btw.)

I too would have to agree on losing the suede on the gauges, I too think it is too much. Everything else is perfect, except for one small error...the interior shop put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car :)

Seriously...could you please ask the shop what they would "normally" charge if not a barter deal?

But, just amazing, just amazing...best I have ever seen.

Thanks guys...

I appreciate the kind words. I like the look overall myself but DO plan to have the binnacle re-done in leather to match the dash. The guy doing the work was trying some new looks. I don't hate it, it just isn't me. I had actually told him to do the dash in the dark brown but he made a call and did it to match the rest of the interior. It brightens it up and makes it look more current. The only thing I may have issue with is getting heat to my feet since he boxed in the tunnel where the heat comes out. Looks good though and I may figure something out.

Any further suggestions?
Brett

Sweet!

Now all you need a custom dash and upgraded-looking clock!
Very nice work indeed!

I was wondering about the heat issue. :) Maybe he can bow them out into an arc shape at the bottom edge to allow a gap for the heat to blow out of?

I think it looks good Brett. I am with you on losing the suede of the gauge surround and going with the same leather on the rest of the dash. The suede just doesn't look right in that location.

The only thing I may have issue with is getting heat to my feet since he boxed in the tunnel where the heat comes out. Looks good though and I may figure something out.

Any further suggestions?
Brett

How about doing a cut-out and fasten in some vents? something like this? (random google image)

Picture1728.jpg

Brett, that looks like very high class work!
Could we see some more detailed pic on the leather and suede work on the dash?
I am thinking that I may like the suede and could see an all-suede dash. 60/70s style supercars had suede dashes, mostly in black or charcoal though.

Incredible work though, also below th dash.

I thought about that...

I may try it. I was not sure if the air would actually make it from the heat source to the vent without something directing it. Maybe I can fabricate some kind of ducting that directs the flow. What is that vent from?

Suede...

The 70s exotics was where we got the idea. It seems to work better in the Lotus than the X. I think that I could live with it if I had to but I don't so I plan to change that part. I do like the suede in the other areas though.
Brett

Back