Early style Engine hood swap

I built the ‘85 about 20 years ago because i wanted the styling of an early car with the mechanics of a late car; and it had to be yellow...
15 years later I acquired the yellow ‘74, which now has a FI 1500 & 5spd. So yeah, they’re pretty much identical.

If it wasn't for the fact one of the car had the grille in the back and the other not (1974), I could have believe there was in mirror in the middle of your garage. Oh yeah, and one had the rear plate lights, the exhaust tips isn't at the same angle, the center caps aren't the same color... or maybe you had the yellow caps in the right side and the silver on the left...

Hey, honey, we're going to take the yellow car today!

Hi Mike, just reading through the posts here and noticed that someone mentioned the bonnets were different from 74 to 75 and on. That lid is most definitely from a 74. I've also got several sets of hinges if you need some. Can't remember if I left the hinges on that lid or not? Let me know

Thanks! No hinges but that’s ok. The 82 hinges will work perfectly. It’s actually coming together much easier than I thought it would.

I also did it to an '87. After concerting it to a carb car, it seemed natural. Very easy, BTW. And yes, you gotta use the older filler neck.
IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg

When I did it on my '87 (using 75 lid), presumably '82 was the same, I used the stock filler neck, just has to be rotated for the different offset, and bolted in a different location. I didn't mod the side louvers at all, just used Velcro to retain them instead of hardware.

X19-0647.jpg

Just an update. Hood is painted and installed. Had a couple hiccups with the latch not being being the right length but that’s fixed now. Louvres are installed as well. I bought a some plastic fasteners from amazon to “pretty up” the installation.
Pictures to follow soon. I think I’ll have the lid held open via prop vs spring. I was going to go to the local wreckers to source something out but they’re closed due to covid. :(

I've got to paint my lid as well. It is pretty much all patina and paper thin flat black factory paint. What are you using for primer and paint?

It’s a metallic black. Not factory. urethane primer, metallic base, clear. I’ve been getting my paint from Sherwin Williams automotive and been very happy with the results. Thought I’d add some flash. :) If the sun comes out later I’ll bring her out of the garage and take some pictures.

Ralph, were you asking about the yellow? The ‘85 was originally black. I custom mixed the yellow using a Ferrari yellow and a Dodge dandelion yellow as a starting point. The ‘74 was also a custom mix I made to closely match the 2872 chrome yellow the car was originally painted from the factory.

I'm Sorry I meant Mark's X

Yes , thanks for the info. Not sure what color to paint the Scorpion. I like the blue metallic, but Yello is a neat color to

A7F37B13-96AB-4C6D-B6E4-06807726A2E6.jpeg
9CB0FF8C-53B3-40C8-86C1-BD4F48460D4B.jpeg
68AFA6CE-7712-4A2D-8C65-15354935CBDF.jpeg
12774CEF-E297-4422-B408-B12F7C5C6EF8.jpeg
A921EDCD-ED54-47E8-8E49-6A70E2CC308A.jpeg
05F71C5D-2BBF-4718-95B5-07DD63E194EB.jpeg
E2772CAE-EB5C-48B0-93EA-1B1ADB597BE4.jpeg

ok, some progress! Sorry, I had the truck off so I could finish The louvre install and reinstall my exhaust after finish welding and wrapping. Overall, I love the look. There is an awkward gap where the edge closest to the trunk. Not 100% sure how I’ll address that but it’s not too bad. I’ll attach another picture to show when the trunk is reinstalled tomorrow.

Last edited:
It will be less obvious when the trunk lid will be in place. But you probably could use the plastic lip in the same place of the 1500cc engine cover. Excuse my bad picture, I was too lazy to remove all the stuff that were on my lid...

20200521_210010.jpg

and if you didn't had one on your former engine cover, MWB is selling one:

Or, you can try to build something yourself, or I could check if I have a spare, shipping across Canada is cheaper than having things coming thru the border.

It will be less obvious when the trunk lid will be in place. But you probably could use the plastic lip in the same place of the 1500cc engine cover. Excuse my bad picture, I was too lazy to remove all the stuff that were on my lid...

View attachment 32353

and if you didn't had one on your former engine cover, MWB is selling one:

Or, you can try to build something yourself, or I could check if I have a spare, shipping across Canada is cheaper than having things coming thru the border.
Yes! That’s a great option. I do have the filler piece on my old lid.

Ok, I’m contemplating using hood pins on the engine lid as an alternative to the latch....anyone done this???pictures???

Not yet, but when I will be using my Faza snorkel, I'm planning on using hood pins in the locations of the hinges (near the rear window) but may keep the latch. Still thinking about it...

Back