Early X1/9 instrument cluster info

The original North American Version of the Fiat X1/9 owner's manual has 50 numbered pages with one blank sheet of paper, (would be 51 and 52).

The front and back inside and outside covers do not have page numbers.
On the back cover as I read it, Print No. 603.01.848 - ll - 1974 -5000
Hope this helps.

The original North American Version of the Fiat X1/9 owner's manual has 50 numbered pages with one blank sheet of paper, (would be 51 and 52).

The front and back inside and outside covers do not have page numbers.
On the back cover as I read it, Print No. 603.01.848 - ll - 1974 -5000
Hope this helps.
Thanks - there’s a fellow selling ‘new’, reprinted manuals on eBay, and I wanted to see if his matched in page numbers, which apparently it does, as it has 50 pages. Thanks

yep. you can see it here on the early (1796?) gauge:

View attachment 37710

and the later (Bertone 1984?) gauge:
View attachment 37711

FWIW, they did the same thing for the later US models with a voltmeter - putting the idiot light with the gauge
(NOTE: I used an old image - too lazy to retake a photo just for this, but hopefully you can see the same small light in the bottom of the voltmeter)

View attachment 37713

haha. I clearly have a bunch of instrument clusters to sell when I'm all done with my project :)
Hi there. Do you seriously have ALL these clusters? They all work? Are the two later one‘s able to install in a ‘74? The multipin connectors in back seem identical. I ask because our ‘74 cluster is nearly unreadable in the daytime due to faded plastic, and I don’t think it’s fixable. If you indeed decide to sell any of these let me know :)

The cluster is fine it is the lens that is nearly opaque.

The lens off a later unit will fit an earlier car.

However the lens is something you could try to clean up. Try Brillianize which is a plastic polish. You don’t have anything to lose by trying.

The cluster is fine it is the lens that is nearly opaque.

The lens off a later unit will fit an earlier car.

However the lens is something you could try to clean up. Try Brillianize which is a plastic polish. You don’t have anything to lose by trying.
Do you know if later model year clusters will work in a ‘74? Only difference seems the oil pressure implementation?

Do you know if later model year clusters will work in a ‘74? Only difference seems the oil pressure implementation?
The very least you would have to change out the gauge for oil pressure to the new cluster, but in any case you would need to sit down with the the two particular years wiring diagrams and compare the pin outs. The likelihood is good that they will work but there are differences across the years.

I would just clean the cover you have or move a newer cover over if that one can’t be salvaged.

The very least you would have to change out the gauge for oil pressure to the new cluster, but in any case you would need to sit down with the the two particular years wiring diagrams and compare the pin outs. The likelihood is good that they will work but there are differences across the years.

I would just clean the cover you have or move a newer cover over if that one can’t be salvaged.
Agree about replacing the clear lens instead of swapping clusters. Especially if your existing cluster is working. You never know what you'll get with a used one. And I'm sure it will not be plug and play; great opportunity for a "can of worms" episode. You should be able to get a unknown condition used one cheap, then just salvage the clear screen from it.

yes, and a couple more. long story.

If you already have a working cluster and this is about the dark/faded plastic, consider finding a later model lens. I think they're interchangeable.

yes, and a couple more. long story.

If you already have a working cluster and this is about the dark/faded plastic, consider finding a later model lens. I think they're interchangeable.
Thanks, I’m considering all options. What’s the oldest cluster, year-wise, you may part with at some point?

Back