Effects of location of O2 sensor?

carl

True Classic
My header came with an O2 sensor bung near the end of the collector.

IMG_0004[1].jpg

I use this bung for the O2 sensor for my air/fuel gauge. This is much further away from the motor than the optimum location and my question is, what if any effect will this have on my gauge readings?

It will give all of the cylinders a chance to contribute to the reading - you know averaging. I think you need that and you really don't have much of an option with that header. I think it will take a little longer for the O2 sensor to heat up to operating temp, but it will heat up to operating temp. That would probably set the good folks at the EPA's hair on fire, but if that bothers you I can sell you some carbon offsets.

I think it will take a little longer for the O2 sensor to heat up to operating temp
Depending on the type of O2 sensor. Some are "heated" by way of an extra wire to it that actually heats up the sensor quite quickly....designed to keep the EPA people happy. Otherwise the readings should be good.

How do you like the AEM unit overall? I need to pick up a wideband O2 and keep hearing all sorts of mixed reviews for pretty much all of them.

I just got it so I can't really comment on it other than it comes with lots of "optional" inputs for data logging etc which I'm not using. Seems fine, nice quality. Ask me again in six months? I'll also use it on the Bertone when I go back to playing with the DCOEs again when the 77 is legally on the road.

No EPA issues here, just trying to dial in the carb.

Carl, this will work just fine.
I also have the AEM and my sensor is even further downstream by a foot and a half.
This a good document on sensor placement.

Attachments

• LsuInstal.pdf
    205.1 KB · Views: 85
Depending on the type of O2 sensor. Some are "heated" by way of an extra wire to it that actually heats up the sensor quite quickly....designed to keep the EPA people happy. Otherwise the readings should be good.

How do you like the AEM unit overall? I need to pick up a wideband O2 and keep hearing all sorts of mixed reviews for pretty much all of them.

I have had the AEM UEGO in my old Volvo and my Fiat for many years, no glitches or failures. The O2 does need to be replaced eventually, depending on how rich you tend to run, sensor location and contamination (oil, etc). I did use the analog output for data logging on the Volvo for awhile.

For calibration or precise logging / system (MS, etc.) input the Spartan2 with LSU 4.9 is far more accurate. I used that to upgrade Bosch M4.4 to the later more precise O2 signal used with ME7 and newer.

Another response like that and I'm going back to just reading spark plugs (which apparently you can't do with unleaded fuel).

OK, I'm satisfied that no fudging is needed to the readings because of my sensor location.

Back